Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Just formatted my PC and after installing the Video card drivers the OS won't load...

Just formatted my PC and after installing the Video card drivers the OS won't load...

patrick.juliani@gmail.com

Well, after taking the time to format and reinstall my WIN XP OS, the
PC won't boot anymore; it posts correctly, but just won't boot the OS
after installing the video drivers.

I own a Radeon 9200 Video card, but I also have a TV Wonder card too. I
started by installing the Catalyst CD for the Radeon 9200 and that
failed after the reboot from the first install. So I decided to pull
the Installer program and start over with the TV Wonder CD. So
uninsatll the Catalyst, no reboot, install the TV Wonder, reboot. The
reboot worked and on load, I ended up with the TV Wonder bar on the
right side of my screen and all looked to be ok.

Well it wasn't, because after a few programs loaded at start, the Win
XP Add new Hardware program detected a 9200 card and tried to install
it. I accepted, not exactly sure it would matter since XP comes loaded
with the Radeon drivers as default and I thought I would be able to
reload them after with the propriatery drivers.
Well during installation of the defult XP 9200 drivers, the PC crashed,
I got a Blue Screen and I can no longer boot the OS; not even in Safe
mode or Last Known good configuration.

I am at a loss and am wondering what I can go through now. Should I
physically remove the video card and put another one in? I have already
removed the TV Wonder component and am scrambling to find another card
to test.
Should I force an IRQ on the video card? Could that help me boot the
Win XP OS?
Help, because I don't want to reinstall again, since I tok the time to
transfer files back over from my main PC at home and these files will
be lost...

Pat J.

Walter Mautner

> I am at a loss and am wondering what I can go through now. Should I
> physically remove the video card and put another one in? I have already
> removed the TV Wonder component and am scrambling to find another card
> to test.
> Should I force an IRQ on the video card? Could that help me boot the
> Win XP OS?
> Help, because I don't want to reinstall again, since I tok the time to
> transfer files back over from my main PC at home and these files will
> be lost...

You can try a repair install, that should keep your files and already
installed programs.
More specifically, what happens if you want to startup in safe mode?

Meat Plow

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:40:54 -0800, patrick.juliani Has Frothed:

> Well, after taking the time to format and reinstall my WIN XP OS, the
> PC won't boot anymore; it posts correctly, but just won't boot the OS
> after installing the video drivers.
>
> I own a Radeon 9200 Video card, but I also have a TV Wonder card too. I
> started by installing the Catalyst CD for the Radeon 9200 and that
> failed after the reboot from the first install. So I decided to pull
> the Installer program and start over with the TV Wonder CD. So
> uninsatll the Catalyst, no reboot, install the TV Wonder, reboot. The
> reboot worked and on load, I ended up with the TV Wonder bar on the
> right side of my screen and all looked to be ok.
>
> Well it wasn't, because after a few programs loaded at start, the Win
> XP Add new Hardware program detected a 9200 card and tried to install
> it. I accepted, not exactly sure it would matter since XP comes loaded
> with the Radeon drivers as default and I thought I would be able to
> reload them after with the propriatery drivers.
> Well during installation of the defult XP 9200 drivers, the PC crashed,
> I got a Blue Screen and I can no longer boot the OS; not even in Safe
> mode or Last Known good configuration.
>
> I am at a loss and am wondering what I can go through now. Should I
> physically remove the video card and put another one in? I have already
> removed the TV Wonder component and am scrambling to find another card
> to test.
> Should I force an IRQ on the video card? Could that help me boot the
> Win XP OS?
> Help, because I don't want to reinstall again, since I tok the time to
> transfer files back over from my main PC at home and these files will
> be lost...
>
> Pat J.

What's the stop code on the blue screen?

COOSN-266-06-25794

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Well, after taking the time to format and reinstall my WIN XP OS, the
> PC won't boot anymore; it posts correctly, but just won't boot the OS
> after installing the video drivers.

What OS? DOS. FRee Dos? Unix?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/