Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 1.00 Vista Ready Test (free)

1.00 Vista Ready Test (free)

Bucky Breeder

Someone may enjoy this or find it informative.
WARNING: It likes to use the ActiveX controls...

http://www.pcpitstop.com/vistaready/

Nice links all around here - good bookmark, imho.

--

If you ever teach a yodeling class,
probably the hardest thing to do

You see, we build up to that.

Walter Mautner

Bucky Breeder wrote:

> http://www.pcpitstop.com/vistaready/

Oh damned. My pc miserably failed the test, running IE from within WINE.
While it still displays shiney graphics using beryl or xgl, with
transparency, cube and all that eyecandy, on a computer I built 3 years
ago.

Bucky Breeder

Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> posted this
esurient inquiry in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Bucky Breeder wrote:
>
>> http://www.pcpitstop.com/vistaready/

> Oh damned. My pc miserably failed the test, running IE from within WINE.
> While it still displays shiney graphics using beryl or xgl, with
> transparency, cube and all that eyecandy, on a computer I built 3 years
> ago.

LOL! Mine failed each sequential step, until I loaded each the ActiveX
element via IE's dialog bar, then I got approved on most, but with some
recommendations... (I've run Vista RC2 with good results, no hardware
issues, on this box too...)

--

If you're out hiking and your friend gets bitten by a poisonous snake,
tell him you're going to go for help! Then go about 10 feet, out of sight,

A lot of guys will just start crying, "... but I don't want to die now."
That's why it makes you feel good when you tell them it was only a joke -
but he's still always going to be the big sissy cry-baby to everybody else.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:50:17 +0000, Bucky Breeder Has Frothed:

> Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> posted this
> esurient inquiry in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Bucky Breeder wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.pcpitstop.com/vistaready/

>> Oh damned. My pc miserably failed the test, running IE from within WINE.
>> While it still displays shiney graphics using beryl or xgl, with
>> transparency, cube and all that eyecandy, on a computer I built 3 years
>> ago.

> LOL! Mine failed each sequential step, until I loaded each the ActiveX
> element via IE's dialog bar, then I got approved on most, but with some
> recommendations... (I've run Vista RC2 with good results, no hardware
> issues, on this box too...)

The Gateway (E-Machines) T6216 I use for XP passed with flying colors. And
all I've done with it is upgrade to 1 gig memory and add an additional 160
gig SATA drive. Lots of stable power for $450 bucks.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Bucky Breeder

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> posted this esurient inquiry in
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:50:17 +0000, Bucky Breeder Has Frothed:
>
>> Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> posted this
>> esurient inquiry in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Oh damned. My pc miserably failed the test, running IE from within
>>> WINE. While it still displays shiney graphics using beryl or xgl, with
>>> transparency, cube and all that eyecandy, on a computer I built 3
>>> years ago.

>> LOL! Mine failed each sequential step, until I loaded each the ActiveX
>> element via IE's dialog bar, then I got approved on most, but with some
>> recommendations... (I've run Vista RC2 with good results, no hardware
>> issues, on this box too...)

> The Gateway (E-Machines) T6216 I use for XP passed with flying colors.
> And all I've done with it is upgrade to 1 gig memory and add an
> additional 160 gig SATA drive. Lots of stable power for $450 bucks.

Nice! That 1GB RAM [up from 128KB?] probably dramatically increased it's
performance right-off the bat? The test evalutated this with a 64MB memory
graphics card, but it's running a 128MB nVidia. *Never* had any issues.
(But I'm not a PC gamer either.) Probably can upgrade it easily and cheaply
enough, especially as old as this box is, but RC1 and RC2 ran just fine
here for me. I should image that [most recently installed - now backed-up]
RC2 [back over my current XP Pro config] and then go take the test. LOL!

--

If you're out hiking and your friend gets bitten by a poisonous snake,
tell him you're going to go for help! Then go about 10 feet, out of
sight, and pretend that *you* got bit by a snake. Then start an argument
with him about who needs to be going to go get help. Whoever moves, dies.

A lot of guys will just start crying, "... but I don't want to die now."
That's why it makes you feel good when you tell them it was only a joke -
but he's still always going to be the big sissy cry-baby to everybody
else.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:20:08 +0000, Bucky Breeder Has Frothed:

> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> posted this esurient inquiry in
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:50:17 +0000, Bucky Breeder Has Frothed:
>>
>>> Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> posted this
>>> esurient inquiry in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> LOL! Mine failed each sequential step, until I loaded each the ActiveX
>>> element via IE's dialog bar, then I got approved on most, but with some
>>> recommendations... (I've run Vista RC2 with good results, no hardware
>>> issues, on this box too...)

>> The Gateway (E-Machines) T6216 I use for XP passed with flying colors.
>> And all I've done with it is upgrade to 1 gig memory and add an
>> additional 160 gig SATA drive. Lots of stable power for $450 bucks.

> Nice! That 1GB RAM [up from 128KB?] probably dramatically increased it's
> performance right-off the bat? The test evalutated this with a 64MB memory
> graphics card, but it's running a 128MB nVidia. *Never* had any issues.
> (But I'm not a PC gamer either.) Probably can upgrade it easily and cheaply
> enough, especially as old as this box is, but RC1 and RC2 ran just fine
> here for me. I should image that [most recently installed - now backed-up]
> RC2 [back over my current XP Pro config] and then go take the test. LOL!

It came with 512 and the Nvidia 6600 series is shared memory of 256 megs.
I was never an AMD person but this Athalon 64 @ 2.0 ghz is fast and stable.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Vista Ready? JaR MCSE 9 06-19-2007 03:35 PM
Norton AntiVirus is Vista x64 Ready Reyede Windows 64bit 5 01-25-2007 01:48 AM
I'm ready to try out Vista, now! Tony Sperling Windows 64bit 14 11-09-2006 09:56 AM
Hot - Vista beta 2 download servers ready? =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= Windows 64bit 48 06-10-2006 12:57 AM