Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > registry cleaner

registry cleaner

bb

I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have WinXP.
Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but figured it
was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
TIA
bob

Meat Plow

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:37:35 +0000, bb Has Frothed:

> I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
> download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
> thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
> pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have WinXP.
> Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but figured it
> was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
> TIA
> bob

Most of the time you don't need it. However, Registry Mechanic is
probably the best. It will optimize your registry or so they say with an
option to undo it. And that popup you got is bullshit, never trust
anything even though it appeared to come from M$.

COOSN-266-06-25794

bb

Thanks for your reply and confirmation that I did the correct thing by
ignoring the pop up. Where do I find Registry Mechanic? Just Google for
it? My email does take much longer recently to download regular messages.
I have Sprint DSL; feels like dial up lately.

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:37:35 +0000, bb Has Frothed:
>
>> I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan
>> and
>> download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
>> thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
>> pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have
>> WinXP.
>> Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but figured
>> it
>> was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or
>> comments.
>> TIA
>> bob

> Most of the time you don't need it. However, Registry Mechanic is
> probably the best. It will optimize your registry or so they say with an
> option to undo it. And that popup you got is bullshit, never trust
> anything even though it appeared to come from M$.

> COOSN-266-06-25794

Meat Plow

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:56:48 +0000, bb Has Frothed:

> Thanks for your reply and confirmation that I did the correct thing by
> ignoring the pop up. Where do I find Registry Mechanic? Just Google for
> it? My email does take much longer recently to download regular messages.
> I have Sprint DSL; feels like dial up lately.

http://www.pctools.com/

It will show you what needs to be done but you have to buy it to save the
changes.

COOSN-266-06-25794

beenthere

"bb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zrm7h.8774$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
>download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
>thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
>pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have WinXP.
>Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but figured it
>was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
> TIA
> bob

One of the best `cleaners` you can use is CCleaner.
However, it`s worth learning to use it properly.
ie. Untick everything, Only tick what you want it to clean !.
And when you go to Issues, make sure you Save, before
you clean any Registry entries.
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

bw..OJ

Walter Mautner

bb wrote:

> I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
> download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
> thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
> pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have
> WinXP. Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but
> figured it
> was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

You need adaware or spybot s&d, and a good online scan (housecall or
something like that). You may want a hardware firewall (NAT router without
opening extra ports or "dmz") as well, or at least set your windows xp
firewall to strict settings, no exemptions, for a while.

Spuds

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:23:20 GMT, "beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"bb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:zrm7h.8774$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>>I got a pop-up today that said I needed a Registry Cleaner and to scan and
>>download; I didn't do that even tho' it had Microsoft on it. But I'm now
>>thinking do I need to do that? Where do I go now that I don't have the
>>pop-up to do it with? Is it in my Windows system somewhere? I have WinXP.
>>Actually, I HAVE had slow start up and sluggishness lately, but figured it
>>was just my ISP or network. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments.
>> TIA
>> bob

>One of the best `cleaners` you can use is CCleaner.
>However, it`s worth learning to use it properly.
>ie. Untick everything, Only tick what you want it to clean !.
>And when you go to Issues, make sure you Save, before
>you clean any Registry entries.
>http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

That's good advice, particularly in light of CrapCleaner's propensity to flag
loads of valid file extensions as "unused".
--

"If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

- Nick DiPaolo

'Ad aware' and 'spybot search and destroy' come with my personal stamp of
approval, having cleared enough nasties off my system, time and time again!
I thought everyone would have recommended these 2 straight away actually. -
Good luck.

bb

I appreciate your kind suggestion so much. I did just that...installed and
ran Ad Aware. Hope it does the trick of speeding me up a bit. I had 71
nasties hiding in my files!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WSs7h.40661$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 'Ad aware' and 'spybot search and destroy' come with my personal stamp of
> approval, having cleared enough nasties off my system, time and time
> again! I thought everyone would have recommended these 2 straight away
> actually. - Good luck.

optikl

jv16 power tools. Check it out @ www.macecraft.com.