Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Digital Rights Management DRM - Downloaded songs

Digital Rights Management DRM - Downloaded songs

Viper

I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I copied
the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP home sp2
( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My music folder
from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media Player ( ver10)
says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a total of 62 songs
and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What can I do to fix
this??

Viper

What is a good Pay service to downlaod songs? One that I really do not have
to worrie about the DRM and I can copy to one hard drive (to back up) incase
windows crases and then I can copy back to the windows hard drive with out
having to buy the song again or calling any one to get the DRM reset?

beenthere

"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:efc69$455ddd96$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
>music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
>Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
>around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I
>copied the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP
>home sp2 ( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My
>music folder from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media
>Player ( ver10) says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a
>total of 62 songs and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What
>can I do to fix this??

This is the Evil of DRM !.
Your licence disappeared with your OS (when you re-installed).
If you had done a OS repair you would still have your licence.
And as you`ve moved to Cingular, I don`t see how you can
recover the right to use the music you bought and paid for.

You should have burned your music to CD.
Sorry about that.

bw..OJ

thanatoid

"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:d18a$455ddead$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed):

> What is a good Pay service to downlaod songs? One that I
> really do not have to worrie about the DRM and I can copy
> to one hard drive (to back up) incase windows crases and
> then I can copy back to the windows hard drive with out
> having to buy the song again or calling any one to get the
> DRM reset?

There is no good pay service, they all include DRM to a greater
or lesser extent, let alone those using the WMA format
exclusively. DRM is the greedy entertainment industry's last
attempt at ****ing the consumer over. If everyone in the
civilized world paid a flat fee of $5 or $8 a month (like people
do in countries where you can listen to the radio without
hearing toilet bowl cleaner commercials every 3 minutes), all
music could be free and everyone's profits would be the same or
better. But NOOOOOOOOOO, we'll fine a 12 year old girl who has a
theme to a TV show on her computer $2,000 instead! (Documented
case).

There was a great article recently in a British newspaper by a
guy who's been in the music industry for years and he says DRM
is dead - not officially yet, of course. It will all resolve
itself within a few years. Dinosaurs move slowly.

As for where to get your music, ever heard of the Usenet? Ever
seen *binaries.mp3* groups?

Ponder

Hiya Viper.

In <news:efc69$455ddd96$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:

> I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
> music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
> Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
> around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I copied
> the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP home sp2
> ( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My music folder
> from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media Player ( ver10)
> says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a total of 62 songs
> and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What can I do to fix
> this??

If the license won't allow you to use your original purchase username and
password to renew it then you're royally screwed. I've "purchased" a few
(all through promotions) and the ones I've got so far allow 3 renewals to
take this problem into account. This is one of the main reasons legal music
downloads are ****ing shite, another is the download system is usually so
flaky it's uncomfortable to use. Yet another is the limitation on the media
player you can use, etc., etc., etc.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Viper

The only thing I can think of is that the legal music sites and stores where
you pay and download music do not take account that people may and will have
problems with their pc's or what ever device you have copy protected music
and they do not really build in a feature that allows one to re-download or
back up content that is already paid for. You have to re-pay for the same
stuff you already paid for. It is all about the mighty dollar. and the
companies make a ton of money from not having any feature that allows one to
back up or re-downlaod content already paid for.

why?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:35:20 GMT, beenthere wrote:

>"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:efc69$455ddd96$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
>>music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
>>Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
>>around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I
>>copied the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP
>>home sp2 ( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My
>>music folder from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media
>>Player ( ver10) says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a
>>total of 62 songs and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What
>>can I do to fix this??

>This is the Evil of DRM !.

Exactly, I have seen a few news articles, it's such a great system that-
End user buys song, DRM allows 8 copies and 4 devices. This of course
was bought from the ISPs online store. The DRM owner changes rights ,
the ISP is forced to update and the end user can't play the song anymore
or transfer it to the new birthday / xmas present.

<snip>

Me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's v-cast
>music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to Cingular -
>Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there a way to get
>around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart and Verizon? I copied
>the My music folder to my D hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP home sp2
>( With all the Windows Updates installed) now I copied the My music folder
>from the D drive back to the C drive and now Windows Media Player ( ver10)
>says I do not have a license for all of my songs. I have a total of 62 songs
>and I do not want to have to re-pay for each song. What can I do to fix
>this??

Google hints that: FairUse4WM
might work for you.

Search: FairUse4WM Verizon Wireless

--

Vista and DRM
http://tinyurl.com/y35xn8

elaich

"Viper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:efc69$455ddd96$944e0832$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have downloaded songs form Wal-mart.com and Verizon Wireless's
> v-cast music ( No longer a Verizon Wireless customer, Switched to
> Cingular - Cingular 3125 SmartPhone) and I an wanting to know is there
> a way to get around the DRM on the songs I downloaded from Wal-Mart
> and Verizon? I copied the My music folder to my D hard drive and
> reinstalled Windows XP home sp2 ( With all the Windows Updates
> installed) now I copied the My music folder from the D drive back to
> the C drive and now Windows Media Player ( ver10) says I do not have a
> license for all of my songs. I have a total of 62 songs and I do not
> want to have to re-pay for each song. What can I do to fix this??

Get an app that can record music playing through the sound card. I think
Audacity (free) can do this. Record the song while you are playing it.

The only thing I found in my short experience with these services is that
the music is such crappy quality (low bitrate) that you really don't want
to save it anyway.