Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firewire vs USB 2.0

Firewire vs USB 2.0

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

Shoo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is
>not
> so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the
> market for
> an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If
> I'm only
> going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
> programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

Firewire would be faster for sustained writes of large files, while USB 2.0
connection could be more convenient.
But for a weekly backup it hardly matters.

Meat Plow

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:00 -0500, rfdjr1 Has Frothed:

> I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
> so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
> an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
> going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
> programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

Won't matter

COOSN-266-06-25794

beenthere

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is
>not
> so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the
> market for
> an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If
> I'm only
> going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
> programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

You can buy externals with both FW, and USB.
More options, have got to be better.

bw..OJ

beenthere

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "beenthere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xyl7h.17418$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this
>>>is not
>>> so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the
>>> market for
>>> an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If
>>> I'm only
>>> going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
>>> programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.
>>>

>> You can buy externals with both FW, and USB.
>> More options, have got to be better.

> or....more options, more to go wrong (:>)

In this case, probably not.
He can use either FWQ or USB.
bw..OJ

olfart

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:00 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
>so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
>an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
>going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
>programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

Thanks. Any preferences on external drives? I've always been a Western Digital
guy myself. They have a 500Gb 7200rpm 16Mb cache at CompUSA for $199 which seems
like a decent deal.

Spuds

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:25:06 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:00 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
>>so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
>>an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
>>going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
>>programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

>Thanks. Any preferences on external drives? I've always been a Western Digital
>guy myself. They have a 500Gb 7200rpm 16Mb cache at CompUSA for $199 which seems
>like a decent deal.

Be sure to check the warranty. A lot of externals come with only a 1 year
warranty - much less than most bare drives these days.
--

"If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

- Nick DiPaolo

Gaius Baltar

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:00 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is not
>so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the market for
>an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If I'm only
>going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
>programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

Theoretically but USB2 never achieves anything like 480 Mbps in my
experience (depends on the USB2 device).

Never used Firewire, but know that it's cable length limited to some 8
(or is it 4) metres between stations.

gb

PeeCee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I always thought Firewire was faster than USB, but I just read that this is
>not
> so, with Firewire being 400mbps and USB 2.0 being 480mbps. I'm in the
> market for
> an external hard drive for back up and was leaning towards firewire. If
> I'm only
> going to use the drive for back up maybe once a week, and not be running
> programs from it, will the speed matter all that much? Thanks.

As I understand it Firewire (IEEE1394) is a more elegant architecture in
that it is peer to peer whereas USB is Master/Slave.

So for transfering data & controlling a Video Camera for example Firewire is
better.
Talk to any Video engineer and they will confirm this.

For just bulk data transfer as in your case either USB or Firewire will get
the job done just a well.

USB does have the advantage of being more Universal as it is a standard on
PC's these days whereas Firewire is not always so.

Best
Paul.