Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > advice on purchasing power adapter for a laptop

advice on purchasing power adapter for a laptop

thanatoid

"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

<SNIP>

> I guess I need to get what Dell gives me. The surprising
> part is adapters should last for 5 years typically for
> common usage but mine lasted only for three requiring me to
> purchase a new one. Any ideas how to ensure they last
> long. I treat these things carefully as I know how
> expensive parts can be but am confused why mine did not
> last for 5 years.
>
> But your help,advice and time is highly appreciated.

I have a graphics tablet which is about 17 years old and cost
almost a thousand dollars then. The tablet itself was made in
Korea. The AC adapter was (strangely enough) made in Taiwan and
not China, and lasted until a few weeks ago. If the manuf. was
still in business, they would probably want $35 or more for a
new one. I replaced it with an $8 multi-voltage (3, 6, 7.5, 9,
12VDC) AC adapter (with a polarity switch and 5 different DC
plugs!) - made in China - which I bought well over 10 years ago.
Works just fine.

AFA your laptop adapter lasting as little time as it did, there
is simply no more quality control. Even Sony, once the shining
beacon of innovation and excellence, now makes most of their
stuff in China (Thailand if you're lucky) and a lot of it is
crap. Only the MOST expensive items are still made in Japan.

I recently bought a new Hoover upright to replace the one which
I had for ALMOST 20 YEARS and which died ONLY because of someone
else's extreme stupidity and carelessness. The motor in the NEW
vacuum died after less than 15 hours of use.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

Furbig the hymen-augurer

thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<Xns987DBDFB64B84thanexit@66.250.146.158>...

> "s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> I guess I need to get what Dell gives me. The surprising
>> part is adapters should last for 5 years typically for
>> common usage but mine lasted only for three requiring me to
>> purchase a new one. Any ideas how to ensure they last
>> long. I treat these things carefully as I know how
>> expensive parts can be but am confused why mine did not
>> last for 5 years.
>>
>> But your help,advice and time is highly appreciated.

> I have a graphics tablet<BITCHSLAP>

Pick one:

1. The poster asked for ideas on making power adapters last longer.

2. In news:Xns987EF29725A8Athanexit@66.250.146.158,
thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

If you don't understand what others write, shut up.