Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > advice on purchasing power adapter for a laptop

advice on purchasing power adapter for a laptop

Power Adapter details are:

Service Tag number J75XL31
ModelA-1900-05D PA-9 Family
Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 1.5A
Output: 20VDC 4.5A
Marking "CN-06G356-48010-38H-15C0 Rev L04"

Model of laptop is Inspiron 1100.

Do I have to get a adapter from Dell only which is 56$(including
shipping and taxes) or there are some other less expensive choices? As
machine is out of warranty Dell will not replace it.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks a lot.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Power Adapter details are:
>
> Service Tag number J75XL31
> ModelA-1900-05D PA-9 Family
> Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 1.5A
> Output: 20VDC 4.5A
> Marking "CN-06G356-48010-38H-15C0 Rev L04"
>
> Model of laptop is Inspiron 1100.
>
> Do I have to get a adapter from Dell only which is 56$(including
> shipping and taxes) or there are some other less expensive choices? As
> machine is out of warranty Dell will not replace it.
>
> I would appreciate any advice.

$56 for the adapter, shipping, and taxes?

That's cheaper than most all the replacements.

I'd opt for the original Dell if I were you - that way, you don't
have to worry about some cut-rate rip-off company making a piece of stuff
adapter that damages your laptop due to whatever.

RwP

J-McC

I agree fully. At $56.00 the price is ok as some third party power
supplies will cost this much or more likely more. If you get the
correct one from Dell at least your laptop should still have proper
protection from an inferior power pack. Go with the DELL one!!
Jim McCardle

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:49:30 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> Power Adapter details are:
>>
>> Service Tag number J75XL31
>> ModelA-1900-05D PA-9 Family
>> Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 1.5A
>> Output: 20VDC 4.5A
>> Marking "CN-06G356-48010-38H-15C0 Rev L04"
>>
>> Model of laptop is Inspiron 1100.
>>
>> Do I have to get a adapter from Dell only which is 56$(including
>> shipping and taxes) or there are some other less expensive choices? As
>> machine is out of warranty Dell will not replace it.
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice.

> $56 for the adapter, shipping, and taxes?
>
> That's cheaper than most all the replacements.
>
> I'd opt for the original Dell if I were you - that way, you don't
>have to worry about some cut-rate rip-off company making a piece of stuff
>adapter that damages your laptop due to whatever.
>
> RwP

Thanks folks,

I appreciate your help. Initially, I thought of looking at ebay for a
same model(which might be less expensive as it would be second hand)
but you both are right in trying to save a few bucks I should not take
chances with the laptop.

Thanks again for your help and time.

J-McC wrote:
> I agree fully. At $56.00 the price is ok as some third party power
> supplies will cost this much or more likely more. If you get the
> correct one from Dell at least your laptop should still have proper
> protection from an inferior power pack. Go with the DELL one!!
> Jim McCardle
>
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:49:30 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Howdy!
> >
> >"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
> >> Power Adapter details are:
> >>
> >> Service Tag number J75XL31
> >> ModelA-1900-05D PA-9 Family
> >> Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 1.5A
> >> Output: 20VDC 4.5A
> >> Marking "CN-06G356-48010-38H-15C0 Rev L04"
> >>
> >> Model of laptop is Inspiron 1100.
> >>
> >> Do I have to get a adapter from Dell only which is 56$(including
> >> shipping and taxes) or there are some other less expensive choices? As
> >> machine is out of warranty Dell will not replace it.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate any advice.

> > $56 for the adapter, shipping, and taxes?
> >
> > That's cheaper than most all the replacements.
> >
> > I'd opt for the original Dell if I were you - that way, you don't
> >have to worry about some cut-rate rip-off company making a piece of stuff
> >adapter that damages your laptop due to whatever.
> >
> > RwP

burris

s wrote:
> Thanks folks,
>
> I appreciate your help. Initially, I thought of looking at ebay for a
> same model(which might be less expensive as it would be second hand)
> but you both are right in trying to save a few bucks I should not take
> chances with the laptop.
>
> Thanks again for your help and time.
>
> J-McC wrote:
>> I agree fully. At $56.00 the price is ok as some third party power
>> supplies will cost this much or more likely more. If you get the
>> correct one from Dell at least your laptop should still have proper
>> protection from an inferior power pack. Go with the DELL one!!
>> Jim McCardle
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:49:30 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy!
>>>
>>> "s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>>> $56 for the adapter, shipping, and taxes?
>>>
>>> That's cheaper than most all the replacements.
>>>
>>> I'd opt for the original Dell if I were you - that way, you don't
>>> have to worry about some cut-rate rip-off company making a piece of stuff
>>> adapter that damages your laptop due to whatever.
>>>
>>> RwP

Hmmm!

I got mine on Ebay...$7.95 + shipping and it was the original.

Certainly worth a look.

thanatoid

"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Thanks folks,
>
> I appreciate your help. Initially, I thought of looking at
> ebay for a same model(which might be less expensive as it
> would be second hand) but you both are right in trying to
> save a few bucks I should not take chances with the laptop.
>
> Thanks again for your help and time.
>
> J-McC wrote:
>> I agree fully. At $56.00 the price is ok as some third
>> party power supplies will cost this much or more likely
>> more. If you get the correct one from Dell at least your
>> laptop should still have proper protection from an
>> inferior power pack. Go with the DELL one!! Jim McCardle
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:49:30 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Howdy!
>> >
>> >"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com

>> > $56 for the adapter, shipping, and taxes?
>> >
>> > That's cheaper than most all the replacements.
>> >
>> > I'd opt for the original Dell if I were you -
>> > that way, you don't
>> >have to worry about some cut-rate rip-off company making
>> >a piece of stuff adapter that damages your laptop due to
>> >whatever.
>> >
>> > RwP

The only difference between a power adapter which you can buy at
a VERY GOOD electronics-radio supply store (the kind normal
people NEVER go into, and also possibly the only kind which will
have an adapter with these specs) and the "Dell" one is the
case, name and price.

Most components of most name-brand computers are generally made
with the cheapest components bought from other manufacturers.
For instance, for many years - maybe still, all desktop "Dell"
optical drives were LG. IMHO, LG is an excellent brand, but it's
no TDK, Yamaha or Plextor price-wise.

When you go into one of these stores they will have a $1,000
multimeter the size of a small TV and you can check the voltage
output quality of the adapter you will be buying. Just make sure
the specs are EXACTLY the same and that the plug polarity is
correct.

OTOH, I have no idea how much your laptop cost, but $56 is
certainly not OUTRAGEOUS. Just be aware you're not really
getting anything better except with the Dell logo.

thanatoid

thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> "s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
>> Thanks folks,
>>
>> I appreciate your help. Initially, I thought of looking at
>> ebay for a same model(which might be less expensive as it
>> would be second hand) but you both are right in trying to
>> save a few bucks I should not take chances with the
>> laptop.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help and time.

Just a not-totally-irrelevant P.S.:

The "Dell" batteries were "made by Sony" in some factory in
China, without a doubt. As are virtually all the power adapters
you can purchase these days, if not almost everything.

thanatoid wrote:

> The only difference between a power adapter which you can buy at
> a VERY GOOD electronics-radio supply store (the kind normal
> people NEVER go into, and also possibly the only kind which will
> have an adapter with these specs) and the "Dell" one is the
> case, name and price.
>
> Most components of most name-brand computers are generally made
> with the cheapest components bought from other manufacturers.
> For instance, for many years - maybe still, all desktop "Dell"
> optical drives were LG. IMHO, LG is an excellent brand, but it's
> no TDK, Yamaha or Plextor price-wise.
>
> When you go into one of these stores they will have a $1,000
> multimeter the size of a small TV and you can check the voltage
> output quality of the adapter you will be buying. Just make sure
> the specs are EXACTLY the same and that the plug polarity is
> correct.

Dell even does not seem to carry the exact model I got with my
laptop(when I called that is what they told me and their site also did
not have the same model) and is offering me another one claiming it
will also be fine for me. BTW, how do I ensure plug polarity is proper?
I am bit new in this field so hope you can excuse me. And I checked
with local Staples and CircuitCity but they did not have any. I guess I
need to try RadioShack. Are there any stores you would suggest?

Thanks a lot for your help and time.

thanatoid

"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> thanatoid wrote:
>
>> The only difference between a power adapter which you can
>> buy at a VERY GOOD electronics-radio supply store (the
>> kind normal people NEVER go into, and also possibly the
>> only kind which will have an adapter with these specs) and
>> the "Dell" one is the case, name and price.
>>
>> Most components of most name-brand computers are generally
>> made with the cheapest components bought from other
>> manufacturers. For instance, for many years - maybe still,
>> all desktop "Dell" optical drives were LG. IMHO, LG is an
>> excellent brand, but it's no TDK, Yamaha or Plextor
>> price-wise.
>>
>> When you go into one of these stores they will have a
>> $1,000 multimeter the size of a small TV and you can check
>> the voltage output quality of the adapter you will be
>> buying. Just make sure the specs are EXACTLY the same and
>> that the plug polarity is correct.

> Dell even does not seem to carry the exact model I got with
> my laptop(when I called that is what they told me and their
> site also did not have the same model) and is offering me
> another one claiming it will also be fine for me. BTW, how
> do I ensure plug polarity is proper? I am bit new in this
> field so hope you can excuse me. And I checked with local
> Staples and CircuitCity but they did not have any. I guess
> I need to try RadioShack. Are there any stores you would
> suggest?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and time.

You're welcome.

You need to look in the yellow pages under "electronic
components" or "radio equipment supplies" or ask a technician in
a nearby computer or electronics store where a place like that
might be in your area. Radio Shack and places like that will not
have what you need. What you need is a Radio Shack on major
steroids - like I said, it's the kind of a place where only
technicians go.

BTW beware of RS in general - a lot of their stuff is fine, but
all of it is overpriced, and MUCH of it - especially the more
esoteric stuff - are other brand factory seconds (which RS stamp
with their own name) which the real manufacturers reject because
they're not up to spec, sometimes EXTREMELY so. Another subject,
I suppose. Still, they're great if you need something simple and
cheap and there's nothing else. In some towns there IS nothing
else.

You could check www.mouser.com, they have a LOT of this kind of
stuff, but of course you won't be able to make sure it works
since you probably don't live in the city where they are
located.

The polarity is which of the pins is negative or positive, and
in an extreme case can fry whatever you plug into the adapter.
In some cases it makes no difference, but I have a feeling a
laptop is NOT one of those cases.

But if you have the old adapter, there should be a tiny drawing
on it explaining that, or if not, Google for the EXACT model
number and see what turns up. It MAY be in the manual as well.
MAYBE. If you DO find a good electronics shop they should be
able to make sure their adapter will have all the right specs
including the right polarity on the plug.

I'm not surprised Dell doesn't have your adapter any more. ALL
big manufacturers make completely new power adapters (and many
accessories) for every ****ing model of anything they make, all
just to make sure you'll have to buy a new one and not be able
to use an old one - even though they all do exactly the same
thing. Sometimes they even change the plugs just for that same
reason.

You MAY have to cave in and buy the Dell they claim will work -
but make sure you get some kind of warranty that says they will
replace your machine if it blows up because the adapter is NOT
the right kind.

Good luck. It's a tough one.

thanatoid wrote:
> [...]

> number and see what turns up. It MAY be in the manual as well.
> MAYBE. If you DO find a good electronics shop they should be
> able to make sure their adapter will have all the right specs
> including the right polarity on the plug.
>
> I'm not surprised Dell doesn't have your adapter any more. ALL
> big manufacturers make completely new power adapters (and many
> accessories) for every ****ing model of anything they make, all
> just to make sure you'll have to buy a new one and not be able
> to use an old one - even though they all do exactly the same
> thing. Sometimes they even change the plugs just for that same
> reason.
>
> You MAY have to cave in and buy the Dell they claim will work -
> but make sure you get some kind of warranty that says they will
> replace your machine if it blows up because the adapter is NOT

Thanks a lot.

I guess I need to get what Dell gives me. The surprising part is
adapters should last for 5 years typically for common usage but mine
lasted only for three requiring me to purchase a new one. Any ideas
how to ensure they last long. I treat these things carefully as I know
how expensive parts can be but am confused why mine did not last for 5
years.

But your help,advice and time is highly appreciated.