Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disc Drive Sometimes Reads & Sometimes Doesn't

Disc Drive Sometimes Reads & Sometimes Doesn't

TheStoneCrusher

I have a Toshiba Satellite running XP Home. I can put a 'factory' CD in my
drive and receive a msg that I should put a CD in the drive! Some other CD
read fine. I used one of those 'clean-it-up' discs in and it made no
difference.

Any and all positive suggestions will be appreciated.

Luke

Cub

"TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uts6h.132$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Toshiba Satellite running XP Home. I can put a 'factory' CD in my
>drive and receive a msg that I should put a CD in the drive! Some other CD
>read fine. I used one of those 'clean-it-up' discs in and it made no
>difference.
>
> Any and all positive suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Luke

By another CD dirve for the laptop, after verifying the disk that fail to
play on the satellite WILL play on another machine

Cub

Whiskers

On 2006-11-14, TheStoneCrusher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite running XP Home. I can put a 'factory' CD in my
> drive and receive a msg that I should put a CD in the drive! Some other CD
> read fine. I used one of those 'clean-it-up' discs in and it made no
> difference.
>
> Any and all positive suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Luke

By "'factory' CD" do you mean 'commercially produced music'? If so, then
perhaps the music discs that refuse to play on your computer have some sort
of 'copy protection' built in that is meant to do exactly what you are
seeing. Do they play properly on a 'normal' CD player?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

TheStoneCrusher

I should have mentioned that I am talking about data disks. The commercially
produced sometimes work and sometimes do not. I mean if it is commercial
and it doesn't work - it doesn't work. Some others do.

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2006-11-14, TheStoneCrusher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite running XP Home. I can put a 'factory' CD in
>> my
>> drive and receive a msg that I should put a CD in the drive! Some other
>> CD
>> read fine. I used one of those 'clean-it-up' discs in and it made no
>> difference.
>>
>> Any and all positive suggestions will be appreciated.
>>
>> Luke

> By "'factory' CD" do you mean 'commercially produced music'? If so, then
> perhaps the music discs that refuse to play on your computer have some
> sort
> of 'copy protection' built in that is meant to do exactly what you are
> seeing. Do they play properly on a 'normal' CD player?
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Whiskers

On 2006-11-16, TheStoneCrusher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2006-11-14, TheStoneCrusher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I have a Toshiba Satellite running XP Home. I can put a 'factory' CD in
>>> my
>>> drive and receive a msg that I should put a CD in the drive! Some other
>>> CD
>>> read fine. I used one of those 'clean-it-up' discs in and it made no
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> Any and all positive suggestions will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Luke

>> By "'factory' CD" do you mean 'commercially produced music'? If so, then
>> perhaps the music discs that refuse to play on your computer have some
>> sort
>> of 'copy protection' built in that is meant to do exactly what you are
>> seeing. Do they play properly on a 'normal' CD player?

> I should have mentioned that I am talking about data disks. The commercially
> produced sometimes work and sometimes do not. I mean if it is commercial
> and it doesn't work - it doesn't work. Some others do.

I don't burn CDs very often, but I have had one batch of CD-RWs that my
burner refused to use at all. Going for well-known brands from a
reputable shop, is the only advice I can give about that - then if there is
a faulty batch, you can at least try to get a replacement or a refund.

--
-- Whiskers