Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Multiple WAP question

Multiple WAP question

Toobi Won Kenobi

Should multiple wireless access points be on the same channel?

TIA
TWK

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

When using Entry Level Wireless devices there is No solid answer.

The Starting point should be same SSID different channels, and if you are
Not satisfied you can try the other combination of SSID and channels.

Chances are that No matter what you would not get real seamless roaming.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Toobi Won Kenobi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eskenn$ehm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Should multiple wireless access points be on the same channel?
>
> TIA
> TWK

Toobi Won Kenobi

Thanks Jack,

"When using Entry Level Wireless devices there is No solid answer"
Does this change with more "expensive" devices?

What I am seeing is some PC's are ignoring stronger signals in preference to
weaker ones. They do not connect untill a rescan is performed and then
connected manually to the stronger one. All same SSID and channel.
Regards

TWK

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When using Entry Level Wireless devices there is No solid answer.
>
> The Starting point should be same SSID different channels, and if you are
> Not satisfied you can try the other combination of SSID and channels.
>
> Chances are that No matter what you would not get real seamless roaming.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Toobi Won Kenobi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eskenn$ehm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Should multiple wireless access points be on the same channel?
>>
>> TIA
>> TWK

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
More elaborate and much more expensive Wireless hardware (like a $1200
Access Point) can provide better seamless roaming.
In general, http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3599726
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Toobi Won Kenobi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eskm22$lk4$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Jack,
>
> "When using Entry Level Wireless devices there is No solid answer"
> Does this change with more "expensive" devices?
>
> What I am seeing is some PC's are ignoring stronger signals in preference
> to weaker ones. They do not connect untill a rescan is performed and then
> connected manually to the stronger one. All same SSID and channel.
> Regards
>
> TWK
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When using Entry Level Wireless devices there is No solid answer.
>>
>> The Starting point should be same SSID different channels, and if you are
>> Not satisfied you can try the other combination of SSID and channels.
>>
>> Chances are that No matter what you would not get real seamless roaming.
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>

>> "Toobi Won Kenobi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eskenn$ehm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Should multiple wireless access points be on the same channel?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> TWK

Toobi Won Kenobi

Hello Jack,

$1200 eh? The three (cheapo) we are using extends a wired network and at
1800 (for three) would work out dearer than installing cable.

Regards
TWK

news:(E-Mail Removed)...