Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Changing hard drives & WinXP

Changing hard drives & WinXP

Atlas Shrugged

I have to change a hard drive on my laptop. It has WinXP on it. In view of
the requirement to have to register and activate the software that I
installed, is there anything special I need to do to reinstall XP on the new
hard drive? Will it cause a problem activating it since it was already
installed on another computer? If it does, what do I have to do to activate
it on the new hard drive?

Thanks of any help.

Paul

old man

If it fails to activate on line use telephone activation

"Atlas Shrugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have to change a hard drive on my laptop. It has WinXP on it. In view

of
> the requirement to have to register and activate the software that I
> installed, is there anything special I need to do to reinstall XP on the

new
> hard drive? Will it cause a problem activating it since it was already
> installed on another computer? If it does, what do I have to do to

activate
> it on the new hard drive?
>
> Thanks of any help.
>
> Paul

Alan

Atlas Shrugged wrote:
> I have to change a hard drive on my laptop. It has WinXP on it. In view of
> the requirement to have to register and activate the software that I
> installed, is there anything special I need to do to reinstall XP on the new
> hard drive? Will it cause a problem activating it since it was already
> installed on another computer? If it does, what do I have to do to activate
> it on the new hard drive?
>
> Thanks of any help.
>
> Paul

There may be some stores that will image your old drive onto the new
one. they would put one of the drives into an external enclosure and
use Ghost to copy everything over.

Gaius Baltar

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 09:08:23 -0500, Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Atlas Shrugged wrote:
>> I have to change a hard drive on my laptop. It has WinXP on it. In view of
>> the requirement to have to register and activate the software that I
>> installed, is there anything special I need to do to reinstall XP on the new
>> hard drive? Will it cause a problem activating it since it was already
>> installed on another computer? If it does, what do I have to do to activate
>> it on the new hard drive?
>>
>> Thanks of any help.
>>
>> Paul
>>

>There may be some stores that will image your old drive onto the new
>one. they would put one of the drives into an external enclosure and
>use Ghost to copy everything over.

Even if you Ghost from old o new HD, XP will detect the change of
drive and may hang while loading.

If you use Acronis True Image to do the imaging however, you should
have no problems. There's supposed to be a Acronis Migration tool
(demo, but does the job) on their website.

gb