Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

Ken Briscoe

> I'm a girl you dingbat.

Oh, well that explains it.

--
<runs from sue>
KB - MCNGP #26

SWE

so now i'm a mass-mailing worm? gee whiz, way to flatter a woman. i don't
understand what's wrong with asking a dns question in the mcse newsgroup.
how the heck is this considered spam?

news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Who the heck is Swen?

> http://(E-Mail Removed)

SWE

really, that explains what?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm a girl you dingbat.

> Oh, well that explains it.
>

> --
> <runs from sue>
> KB - MCNGP #26

Ken Briscoe

> so now i'm a mass-mailing worm? gee whiz, way to flatter a woman. i don't
> understand what's wrong with asking a dns question in the mcse newsgroup.
> how the heck is this considered spam?

we're just busting your chops.
1) it's what we do
2) it seems to have been a slow week so far - you're fresh meat

don't take it too personally. or do take it personally, whatever.

--
sorry fellas, hate to see a woman in pain...
KB - MCNGP #26

Consultant

ah, then please provide your pic. you may email it to me at:

remove yourpants to email

"SWE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqlkpf$23h5k8$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I'm a girl you dingbat. Don't know who Swen is.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > swen, you bastard
> >

> > "FrisbeeŽ MCNGP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

on

I've

fuzzy

> > > DON'T ANYONE REPLY!
> > >
> > > This is Swen, but he's very cleverly removed the "n" from his name!
> > >
> > > This has been a public service announcement from the MCNGP.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Fris "We now return you to your usual drivel" beeŽ MCNGP #13
> > >
> > > http://www.mcngp.tk
> > > The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

> > > Certaholics - We're here if you're beyond help

Consultant

yeah, just take it

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > so now i'm a mass-mailing worm? gee whiz, way to flatter a woman. i

don't
> > understand what's wrong with asking a dns question in the mcse

newsgroup.
> > how the heck is this considered spam?

> we're just busting your chops.
> 1) it's what we do
> 2) it seems to have been a slow week so far - you're fresh meat
>
> don't take it too personally. or do take it personally, whatever.
>
> --
> sorry fellas, hate to see a woman in pain...
> KB - MCNGP #26

Jtyc

> so now i'm a mass-mailing worm? gee whiz,

I didn't call you that. I was just answering your question.

> way to flatter a woman.

I think you're very pretty.

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

Down Boy!! <VBEG>

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > so now i'm a mass-mailing worm? gee whiz,

> I didn't call you that. I was just answering your question.
>

> > way to flatter a woman.

> I think you're very pretty.

Roger Abell

Check it out - you needed to be more specific.
What is diff between recursive or iterative query,
and what is diff between recursive or iterative server.
Also, there are two Do not use recursion / No recursion
switches in MS DNS server, and they do different things.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
"SWE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqlho1$234u0d$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Can someone give me a clear explanation (or point me to a resource on the
> Internet) of the difference between recursive and iterative? I've looked

it
> up in a couple of books and on the web, but I'm still fuzzy on the topic.
> Thanks.

Roger Abell

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i am insane
>
> There are three types of queries that a client can make to a DNS server,
> recursive, iterative, and inverse.

two type of queries

> Recursive queries
> In a recursive query, the queried name server is petitioned to respond

with
> the requested data or with an error stating that data of the requested

type
> or the domain name specified doesn't exist. The name server cannot just
> refer the querier to a different name server.

Does not respond with error when name not known
It responds with negetive answer, which is a (non-error) answer
when the name does not exist
Errors are for malformed messages, etc.

> This type of query is typically done by a DNS client (a resolver) to a DNS
> server. Also, if a DNS server is configured to use a forwarder, the

request
> from this DNS server to its forwarder will be a recursive query.
>
> Iterative queries
> In an iterative query, the queried name server gives the best answer it
> currently has back to the querier. This type of query is typically done by

> DNS server to other DNS servers after it has received a recursive query

from
> a resolver.

Yes, except when it is using its Forwarder

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA