Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NT Workstation 4.0 SP6

NT Workstation 4.0 SP6

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ

Hello friends,

I have a laptop that my brother-in-law has asked me to see if I can
fix for him. The problem is the password.

We don't know it. He used to know it but some prick at his work did
something to it while supposedly upgrading some crazy **** having to
do with a job or something, I have no idea.

Anyway, when he gets to his password screen now, the old password no
longer works. He has no NT Setup CD, etc...

Does anyone know what could be done to bypass this password and make
it possible to just access the system? It boots up fine, all the way
to the password dialog, of course, and that is it.

Any suggestions?

Altie
--
All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.

why?

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:38:44 GMT, CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ wrote:

>Hello friends,
>
>I have a laptop that my brother-in-law has asked me to see if I can
>fix for him. The problem is the password.

<snip>

>longer works. He has no NT Setup CD, etc...

Try ebay (if you are into that sort of thing) or another source and get
an NT CD. If you don't u/g then at some point you will need it.

>Does anyone know what could be done to bypass this password and make
>it possible to just access the system? It boots up fine, all the way
>to the password dialog, of course, and that is it.

This has been mentioned before, search past posts in 24HSHD
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...desk?lnk=gschg

From: why? - view profile
Date: Mon, Feb 6 2006 6:35 pm
Email: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
Groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

Some links mentioned before in 24HSHD
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...r_password.htm
<snip line - site was bought by MS>
which is http://www.winternals.com/ the emergency tools pack, with a
password unlock app.
http://www.winternals.com/Products/A...d/Default.aspx

and some maybe not, mentioned..
http://www.jms1.net/nt-unlock.shtml

For the future

Always create a backup admin account.

Install the OS twice, to different partitions, allows booting to 2nd OS
for data recovery.

Ripped from an UNK post

3
From: Unk - view profile
Date: Sat, Aug 20 2005 5:17 am
Email: Unk <(E-Mail Removed)>
Groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options
original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:36:44 GMT, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>hi,

>how can i recover admin password on xp?

>in this case, when i go to recovery console, i get option 1 and 2 of
>c:\windows and e:\minint

>if I choose option one i am asked for admin password and cant go any
>further. if i choose 2 i have read and write access to all partitions so
>this could help.

>in 2000 i used to rename c:\winnt\system32\config\sam to something else and
>i could login with administrator and no password but no such luck with XP.

>ps. it is service pack 1 if this helps.

Lost/Forgotten Windows XP Password
http://8help.ohio-state.edu/878.html
http://www.mirider.com/ntaccess.html

XP passwords rendered useless.
http://www.briansbuzz.com/w/030213/

Recover/reset lost passwords:

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/406-p1.php
http://sourceforge.net/projects/austrumi

John the Ripper - http://www.openwall.com/john/

LC4 - http://www.atstake.com/products/lc/

SAM Inside - http://www.insidepro.com/eng/saminside.shtml

ActMon Password Recovery XP - http://www.actmon.com/download/

ERD Commander 2005 - http://www.winternals.com/Products/ErdCommander/
(Too expensive for your average user)

>Any suggestions?

http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...desk?lnk=gschg
or
www.google.com

Me

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:54:22 GMT, why?

> [...]

>>hi,

>>how can i recover admin password on xp?

>>in this case, when i go to recovery console, i get option 1 and 2 of
>>c:\windows and e:\minint

>>if I choose option one i am asked for admin password and cant go any
>>further. if i choose 2 i have read and write access to all partitions so
>>this could help.

>>in 2000 i used to rename c:\winnt\system32\config\sam to something else and
>>i could login with administrator and no password but no such luck with XP.

>>ps. it is service pack 1 if this helps.

>Lost/Forgotten Windows XP Password
>http://8help.ohio-state.edu/878.html
>http://www.mirider.com/ntaccess.html
>
>XP passwords rendered useless.
>http://www.briansbuzz.com/w/030213/
>
>Recover/reset lost passwords:
>
>Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD

Thanks, why. I went to the site provided in the link you gave here:

DLoaded and burned the iso image and it worked like a charm.

Thank you,

Altie

Walter Mautner

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> I have a laptop that my brother-in-law has asked me to see if I can
> fix for him. The problem is the password.
>
> We don't know it. He used to know it but some prick at his work did
> something to it while supposedly upgrading some crazy **** having to
> do with a job or something, I have no idea.
>
> Anyway, when he gets to his password screen now, the old password no
> longer works. He has no NT Setup CD, etc...
>
> Does anyone know what could be done to bypass this password and make
> it possible to just access the system? It boots up fine, all the way
> to the password dialog, of course, and that is it.
>
> Any suggestions?

There are a lot of liveCDs (provided you can make the laptop boot from CD)
with tools as "chntpwd". Have a look for Hirens boot&root, ERD-Commander
and others.

why?

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 03:11:13 GMT, CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:54:22 GMT, why?
>

>>On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:38:44 GMT, CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ wrote:
>>
>>>Hello friends,
>>>
>>>I have a laptop that my brother-in-law has asked me to see if I can
>>>fix for him. The problem is the password.

>><snip>
>>
>>>longer works. He has no NT Setup CD, etc...

<big snip>

>Thanks, why. I went to the site provided in the link you gave here:
>http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
>DLoaded and burned the iso image and it worked like a charm.
>
>Thank you,

YW It's good to know it worked, I haven't needed to use it yet. It's
been close a few times.

>Altie

Me

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:14:58 +0100, Walter Mautner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ctrl?Alt?Del?wrote:
>
>> Hello friends,
>>
>> I have a laptop that my brother-in-law has asked me to see if I can
>> fix for him. The problem is the password.
>>
>> We don't know it. He used to know it but some prick at his work did
>> something to it while supposedly upgrading some crazy **** having to
>> do with a job or something, I have no idea.
>>
>> Anyway, when he gets to his password screen now, the old password no
>> longer works. He has no NT Setup CD, etc...
>>
>> Does anyone know what could be done to bypass this password and make
>> it possible to just access the system? It boots up fine, all the way
>> to the password dialog, of course, and that is it.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>There are a lot of liveCDs (provided you can make the laptop boot from CD)
>with tools as "chntpwd". Have a look for Hirens boot&root, ERD-Commander
>and others.

I may, if I ever have a problem like this again and what I have
already done will not work next time. Thanks.

Altie