Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > network bandwith

network bandwith

Molecule

Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
say 24 hours?
Thanks

Mr. Arnold

Molecule wrote:
> Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
> At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
> that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
> whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
> is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
> say 24 hours?
> Thanks

It sounds to me that your flatmate's machine may have some kind of
malware running on it that's sucking up the bandwidth. I have seen that
situation on a small business owner's LAN, when one of the employee's
machines joined the network. When the machine was switched on and joined
the network, the network came to a crawl. The machine had an
undiscovered Trojan running on it that was phoning home, sucking up the
bandwidth.

Long

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...vironment.html

Short

http://tinyurl.com/klw1

If you can get the person to install some of the tools in the link
above, such as Active Ports and Process Explorer, you can look around
and see if you can spot something.

Duane

Meat Plow

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:06:22 +0000, Molecule Has Frothed:

> Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running
> xp. At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my
> flatmates that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is
> on the whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my
> question: is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a
> period of time, say 24 hours?
> Thanks

Can your router export bandwidth data?

COOSN-266-06-25794

why?

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:06:22 GMT, Molecule wrote:

Oh no not again, and again.

Read the many past posts in 24HSHD with answers to the same question.

http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...desk?lnk=gschg

>Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
>At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
>that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
>whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
>is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
>say 24 hours?
>Thanks

Me

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, Molecule Wrote The Following:
> Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
> At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
> that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
> whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
> is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
> say 24 hours?
> Thanks

This might get you started:
http://manageengine.adventnet.com/pr...onitoring.html

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, Molecule Wrote The Following:
> Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
> At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
> that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
> whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
> is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
> say 24 hours?
> Thanks

Here we go:
http://www.bandwidthmonitorpro.com/

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.Nuboy-Industries.Com

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, Molecule Wrote The Following:
> Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
> At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
> that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
> whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
> is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
> say 24 hours?
> Thanks

Another one of interest:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/search...idth%20Monitor

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.Nuboy-Industries.Com

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, Molecule Wrote The Following:
> Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running xp.
> At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my flatmates
> that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it is on the
> whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my question:
> is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a period of time,
> say 24 hours?
> Thanks

This is cool, first one on the link above. I installed it and it's cool.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...r/1053527204/1

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.Nuboy-Industries.Com

Molecule

Not sure, will look

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:06:22 +0000, Molecule Has Frothed:
>
>> Got a home network, four computers in total, 3 laptops 1 desktop running
>> xp. At times the internet crawls - badly. I keep saying to one of my
>> flatmates that his computer sucks up bandwith as I noticed that when it
>> is
>> on the whole thing goes dialup style speed. I get told to p*** off, so my
>> question: is there a way of measuring and record bandwith usage over a
>> period of time, say 24 hours?
>> Thanks

> Can your router export bandwidth data?

> COOSN-266-06-25794

lee houston

> This is cool, first one on the link above. I installed it and it's cool.
> http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...r/1053527204/1
>
> --

OG, the monitors you reference are for one computer only,
not a local network of computers. If the OP can get the'
'other' user to run the program and honestly report his traffic,
it will be useful. However for the full picture, monitoring
needs to be done at the router level to show which computer
is hogging the connection.

lee

bandwith Dialer 0 Bas van Koert Cisco 1 02-04-2005 12:12 AM
sho serial interface - available bandwith Stefan Heinrich Cisco 2 10-08-2004 05:40 PM
Bandwith Size rc Cisco 1 07-14-2004 01:56 PM
Bandwith control in 3550 switch Mr Ping Cisco 1 04-28-2004 08:01 AM
bgp link bandwith Glenn Cisco 0 10-29-2003 04:48 PM

Advertisments