Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do you format a laptop that does not have a CDrom

How do you format a laptop that does not have a CDrom

Sam

How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM

I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

Mike Easter

Sam wrote:
> How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
>
> I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it
> doesn't have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

Terminology:

CD-ROM = cdrom disk which contains the data
CD-ROM drive = the optical drive which reads the disk, is typically
built in to a laptop, and/but which may by connected to a computer by
any one of many interfaces, such as IDE, USB, or even others such as
firewire, SATA, etc.
VAIO = Sony sub-brand which now includes laptops, sublaps, desktops,
etc
format = [in this context] preparing a hdd medium with an empty file
system in anticipation of installing an operating system

Is your statement and question that you have a Sony Vaio laptop which
has a CD-ROM drive, but you don't have a CD-ROM with an operating system
and installation capabilities? Or is your question something else?

Did you purchase this laptop new or used? If so, what cd-rom disks came
with it? What is its model number?

Is it your intention to format the laptop's hdd and install a new
operating system? Which operating system?

--
Mike Easter

philo

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g1l3h.7498$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
>
> I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
> have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

You DO NOT want to format the drive if you have no cdrom...
without a cdrom you will have no way to reinstall the operating system!!!!

Walter Mautner

Sam wrote:

> How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
>
> I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
> have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

It may be a subnotebook with only external drives, and when the notebook
got ... erm ... borrowed, someone forgot to take the external cd/dvd drive
as well? Now, a tough thing to format it for getting rid of traces from the
previous owner, before putting it on ebay.

MJP

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g1l3h.7498$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
>
> I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
> have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

Make a bootable USB stick and install DSL, BARTPE or similar.

MJP

..

David Matthew Wood

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g1l3h.7498$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
> >
> > I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
> > have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???
> >

> You DO NOT want to format the drive if you have no cdrom...
> without a cdrom you will have no way to reinstall the operating system!!!!

There are many ways to install an operating system without a CD-ROM
drive.

philo

> > You DO NOT want to format the drive if you have no cdrom...
> > without a cdrom you will have no way to reinstall the operating

system!!!!

> There are many ways to install an operating system without a CD-ROM
> drive.

Yes...
but the OP probably is not equipped to perform a network install etc

Gaius Baltar

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:07:13 -0000, "MJP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:g1l3h.7498$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
>>
>> I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
>> have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

>Make a bootable USB stick and install DSL, BARTPE or similar.
>
>MJP

Eihter that or get a USB ext CD drive and set the laptop to boot from
it. Bootable CD with appropriate files reqd.

gb

DanR

Gaius Baltar wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:07:13 -0000, "MJP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> "Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:g1l3h.7498$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
>>>
>>> I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it
>>> doesn't have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

>> Make a bootable USB stick and install DSL, BARTPE or similar.
>>
>> MJP

> Eihter that or get a USB ext CD drive and set the laptop to boot from
> it. Bootable CD with appropriate files reqd.
>
> gb

Windows install CD is bootable.