Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Messed up on dual boot

Messed up on dual boot

02befree

I'm pretty good at a lot of PC stuff, but dumb on this apparently.
Two hard drives, running Win2K.
Wanted to check out XP so ran setup to install on a partition on 2nd
hard drive. During setup it asked where and I pointed to correct
partition.
Now can't boot into my original OS, even if I detach second hard drive.
Must have missed something and maybe it installed on partition on 2nd
drive, but overwrote part of C drive?
When running Master alone, it stops with a message Windows could not
start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could
not read. Have read article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
Doesn't apply to Win2K necessarily. Expound if you can.

G. Morgan

On 4 Nov 2006 12:33:02 -0800, "02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm pretty good at a lot of PC stuff, but dumb on this apparently.
>Two hard drives, running Win2K.
>Wanted to check out XP so ran setup to install on a partition on 2nd
>hard drive. During setup it asked where and I pointed to correct
>partition.
>Now can't boot into my original OS, even if I detach second hard drive.
> Must have missed something and maybe it installed on partition on 2nd
>drive, but overwrote part of C drive?
>When running Master alone, it stops with a message Windows could not
>start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could
>not read. Have read article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
>Doesn't apply to Win2K necessarily. Expound if you can.

I've found the fdisk /mbr command useful when I've messed up the boot
record.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm pretty good at a lot of PC stuff, but dumb on this apparently.
>Two hard drives, running Win2K.
>Wanted to check out XP so ran setup to install on a partition on 2nd
>hard drive. During setup it asked where and I pointed to correct
>partition.
>Now can't boot into my original OS, even if I detach second hard drive.
> Must have missed something and maybe it installed on partition on 2nd
>drive, but overwrote part of C drive?
>When running Master alone, it stops with a message Windows could not
>start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could
>not read. Have read article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
>Doesn't apply to Win2K necessarily. Expound if you can.

Could be your BOOT.INI file
You can do this with the XP CD repair console
by running BOOTCFG /REBUILD http://tinyurl.com/y6hbuf

"STEP 4: Rebuild. The next step is the most important in the entire
sequence: the BOOTCFG /REBUILD command. When you type BOOTCFG /REBUILD
at the command prompt, the computer will scan for any existing
installations of Windows and, in addition to re-creating the
appropriate Boot.ini file for your copy of Windows, it will also
repair several files and Registry entries for those files that are
common causes of startup errors. These files include, but are not
limited to, Hal.dll, Ntldr, and Ntoskrnl.exe. Remember that the
Registry is just as important as the files themselves, because it
holds all the information about where those files reside, what other
files they interact with, and what their tasks are as they relate to
the day-to-day Windows operation."

Post'd the above as you can view the page once, then only half without
deleting the cookie for the site - and that part is missing.

Or from W2K CD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307061 (same thing)

Also next time you want to dual boot, Boot up into W2K, insert the XP
CD it will ask if you want to upgrade or clean install, Clean install
you select partition.

--
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15914427.htm

02befree

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I'm pretty good at a lot of PC stuff, but dumb on this apparently.
> >Two hard drives, running Win2K.
> >Wanted to check out XP so ran setup to install on a partition on 2nd
> >hard drive. During setup it asked where and I pointed to correct
> >partition.
> >Now can't boot into my original OS, even if I detach second hard drive.
> > Must have missed something and maybe it installed on partition on 2nd
> >drive, but overwrote part of C drive?
> >When running Master alone, it stops with a message Windows could not
> >start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could
> >not read. Have read article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
> >Doesn't apply to Win2K necessarily. Expound if you can.

> Could be your BOOT.INI file
> You can do this with the XP CD repair console
> by running BOOTCFG /REBUILD http://tinyurl.com/y6hbuf
>
> "STEP 4: Rebuild. The next step is the most important in the entire
> sequence: the BOOTCFG /REBUILD command. When you type BOOTCFG /REBUILD
> at the command prompt, the computer will scan for any existing
> installations of Windows and, in addition to re-creating the
> appropriate Boot.ini file for your copy of Windows, it will also
> repair several files and Registry entries for those files that are
> common causes of startup errors. These files include, but are not
> limited to, Hal.dll, Ntldr, and Ntoskrnl.exe. Remember that the
> Registry is just as important as the files themselves, because it
> holds all the information about where those files reside, what other
> files they interact with, and what their tasks are as they relate to
> the day-to-day Windows operation."
>
> Post'd the above as you can view the page once, then only half without
> deleting the cookie for the site - and that part is missing.
>
> Or from W2K CD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307061 (same thing)
>
> Also next time you want to dual boot, Boot up into W2K, insert the XP
> CD it will ask if you want to upgrade or clean install, Clean install
> you select partition.

This is what I did. I'm thinking about the process and after I
selected Clean Install it asked if I wanted to download updated setup
files and I said yes. Then after a few minutes it needed to reboot.
When it rebooted it booted off the WinXP disk and I wondered if that
was correct. (it wouldn't install if I had taken the CD out, right?) I
did select a parition on the slave drive and then went on from there.

Thought....My original Win2K installation had an invalid boot.ini file
and for a year or so when booting, it would pause and say Invalid
boot.ini file...booting from C:WINNT. Maybe a new boot.ini was created
and....???

> --
> http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15914427.htm

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thought....My original Win2K installation had an invalid boot.ini file
>and for a year or so when booting, it would pause and say Invalid
>boot.ini file...booting from C:WINNT. Maybe a new boot.ini was created
>and....???

When in the restore console type:
type C:\boot.ini <enter>
see if it's correct.

--
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15914427.htm

AnonyMouse

> "02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thought....My original Win2K installation had an invalid boot.ini file
>> and for a year or so when booting, it would pause and say Invalid
>> boot.ini file...booting from C:WINNT. Maybe a new boot.ini was created
>> and....???

> When in the restore console type:
> type C:\boot.ini <enter>
> see if it's correct.

Something similar to this was discussed in the problem-solution section
of PC Magazine not long ago:

It's similar to what others have been saying in this thread, but a
little more "demystified".

02befree

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I'm pretty good at a lot of PC stuff, but dumb on this apparently.
> >Two hard drives, running Win2K.
> >Wanted to check out XP so ran setup to install on a partition on 2nd
> >hard drive. During setup it asked where and I pointed to correct
> >partition.
> >Now can't boot into my original OS, even if I detach second hard drive.
> > Must have missed something and maybe it installed on partition on 2nd
> >drive, but overwrote part of C drive?
> >When running Master alone, it stops with a message Windows could not
> >start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could
> >not read. Have read article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
> >Doesn't apply to Win2K necessarily. Expound if you can.

> Could be your BOOT.INI file
> You can do this with the XP CD repair console
> by running BOOTCFG /REBUILD http://tinyurl.com/y6hbuf

Worked perfectly Thank You!