Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft response over Hotmail problems

Microsoft response over Hotmail problems

Ken Blake, MVP

thanatoid wrote:

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:#M6$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> It's not an acronym for anything. The word comes from the
>> Mony Python skit/song "Spam." See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(Monty_Python)

> OK, is it just an accident that is happens to be an acronym for
> Severely Propagated Advertising Mail?

Not an accident, but something made up after the fact. It's extremely easy
to make up acronyms of something after the fact. Maybe it's "Shoddily
Perpetrated Agressive Malefactors" (which I just made up).

There are many examples of such made-up acronyms in English. POSH (Portside
Out, Starboard Harbor) quickly comes to mind, and there are several other
examples at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_etymology

Please reply to the newsgroup

Please reply to the newsgroup

Bucky Breeder

Ponder <(E-Mail Removed)> loquaciously articulated in
news:1ugw8eswf68eo$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hiya Bucky Breeder.
>
> In <news:Xns9871A84F52518WiZEERD@216.151.153.21> you wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. There's a saying up here on Mt. Olympus, "If you gotta ask,
>> then you cain't afford it; but, if you really want it, you'll
>> find a way to afford it." There may be some free ones out there,
>> but don't know if they do the Hotmail and the Yahoo - and that's
>> where most of us get 'throw away' acounts -- because of the SPAM.

> I dropped both my Hotmail accounts ages ago anyway, and all my
> mail gets passed through (free) spamassassin and (free) clamav
> on my (free) mail server - exim4 under my (free) Linux server

Doowd, somewhere along the line, finding and using all that free
stuff had to cost you a lot more than $37? (o;

Reflecting back on the OP, I think that someone who's actually upset
that Microsoft's Support Staff has failed to fix her SPAM issues on
the first up, and she *don't* *like* their attitude, may likely find
more joy in spending the $[6 Starbuck's Coffees] (USD) on an
intuitive and viable SPAM remedy, than foraging through
SourceForge.net for components to assemble, and tossing away all her
HTTP FreeMail accounts to accomodate her compilation(s)?

Quick rememberance: I have/had this long-time [just happened to be a
female, I'm not generalizing anything to the species here...] friend
who recently got bit by the computing bug. OMG! The first place she
got enamoured with was the e-Mail scene, and the IM scene... I had to
turn of my [IM] (for "business reasons", of course) and she meanwhile
was installing Incredimail and joining all these e-Mail groups which
would forward mails - with everything imaginable for attachments - on
their 'CC: lists', I mean to hundreds of people all over the
planet... from people whose names I couldn't even pronounce... Cute
pictures, naaiiisssty pikktures, music clips, video clips, poems,
websites, pyramid letters of every fashion, coupons... and
eventually, many, many "unknowns." My mail client, thankfully, was
configured for safety... but, I was getting hammered... endless!!!

On telephone calls, I would expain to her, I would warn her, I would
*pleeeeed* with her in-re: viruses, spams, phishing, e-Mail
harvesting, on and on and on... Plus, it was just outright rude to
release my address to others without asking me first. She started to
get bitten, and hammered with so much e-Mail that they were bumping
and/or holding her POP and free accounts. Then she wanted me to be
her 24/7 on-call tech support. I gave her the housecall.com link and
I convinced her to join AOL, get new mail accounts, use screen names
and munged e-mail addresses. Then I would get the telephonic updates
from her... And I'm praying every night,"Please, God, get me out of
this situation gracefully..." *Thankfully*, Hurricane Katrina
devastated my previous area, so I now have a new address and phone
number... But, thinking back, I could have avoided all that chaos and
destruction by just spending $37 on a copy of Mailwasher?

Seems like a deal to me!

--

Our advanced civilization tends to scoff
at the beliefs of the ancients.

But we can not scoff at them personally,
right up in their faces;
and, this is what really annoys me.

Ponder

Hiya Bucky Breeder.

In <news:Xns987260F76AB7CWiZEERD@216.151.153.21> you wrote:

> Doowd, somewhere along the line, finding and using all that free
> stuff had to cost you a lot more than $37? (o;

Redundancy. The Linux computer used to be my primary Windows machine. My
first Linux server cost me a grand total of nothing back in 2000, from
leftovers after upgrades and donated parts, so the effective monetary
layout for the free stuff really does reflect the description

And it does a *lot* more than just check for spam

[Snip]
> number... But, thinking back, I could have avoided all that chaos and
> destruction by just spending $37 on a copy of Mailwasher?
> Seems like a deal to me!

Maybe for the technically bewildered (not an insult BTW) but looking at
the situation described I doubt that Mailwasher could have saved you from
that in any way, shape or form

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Bucky Breeder

Ponder <(E-Mail Removed)> loquaciously articulated in
news:j40wmevwnsv2$(E-Mail Removed):

> Maybe for the technically bewildered (not an insult BTW)

Aww, none taken, I assure you! LOL. I pride myself in being lazy,
electric starts on both my motorcycle and lawnmower, and electronic
timers on my lawn sprinkler system, etc, etc, etc. (I just spin it,
by saying "efficient")

> looking at the situation described I doubt that Mailwasher
> could have saved you from that in any way, shape or form

Yeah, yeah! Most likely just a bunch of events that correlated.

<thunders outside, wind gusts increasing>

On the other hand, Mailwasher be good jiu-jiu, shore bein gud 2 me!

<clouds dissipate, winds diminish>

Ahhh! The comforts and tribulations of living in the 21st Century.

Best regards.

--

Our advanced civilization tends to scoff
at the beliefs of the ancients.

But we can not scoff at them personally,
right up in their faces;
and, this is what really annoys me.

Whiskers

On 2006-11-05, Ken Blake, MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thanatoid wrote:
>
>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:#M6$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> It's not an acronym for anything. The word comes from the
>>> Mony Python skit/song "Spam." See
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(Monty_Python)

>> OK, is it just an accident that is happens to be an acronym for
>> Severely Propagated Advertising Mail?

> Not an accident, but something made up after the fact. It's extremely easy
> to make up acronyms of something after the fact. Maybe it's "Shoddily
> Perpetrated Agressive Malefactors" (which I just made up).
>
> There are many examples of such made-up acronyms in English. POSH (Portside
> Out, Starboard Harbor) quickly comes to mind, and there are several other
> examples at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_etymology

'Port Out, Starboard Home' is the etymology quoted there - and has the
merit of plausibility for the sea voyage between the British Isles and
India. No self-respecting sailor would moor up to anything with the
steering-board trapped between the boat and the whatever it's moored up
to!

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

thanatoid

"Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:u#(E-Mail Removed):

> thanatoid wrote:
>
>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> in news:#M6$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> It's not an acronym for anything. The word comes from the
>>> Mony Python skit/song "Spam." See
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(Monty_Python)

>> OK, is it just an accident that is happens to be an
>> acronym for Severely Propagated Advertising Mail?

> Not an accident, but something made up after the fact. It's
> extremely easy to make up acronyms of something after the
> fact. Maybe it's "Shoddily Perpetrated Agressive
> Malefactors" (which I just made up).

Not bad!

> There are many examples of such made-up acronyms in
> English. POSH (Portside Out, Starboard Harbor) quickly
> comes to mind, and there are several other examples at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_etymology

Thank you both for you comments and info.
t.

Ken Blake, MVP

thanatoid wrote:
> "Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:u#(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>>
>>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> in news:#M6$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> OK, is it just an accident that is happens to be an
>>> acronym for Severely Propagated Advertising Mail?

>> Not an accident, but something made up after the fact. It's
>> extremely easy to make up acronyms of something after the
>> fact. Maybe it's "Shoddily Perpetrated Agressive
>> Malefactors" (which I just made up).

> Not bad!
>
>> There are many examples of such made-up acronyms in
>> English. POSH (Portside Out, Starboard Harbor) quickly
>> comes to mind, and there are several other examples at
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_etymology
>>

> Thank you both for you comments and info.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please reply to the newsgroup

PA Bear

See http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#dupes
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

JWBH wrote:
<snip>
> My Hotmail account now wants to download '796' (not some 200 odd as
> before)
> emails when i do a 'send and receive' in outlook express6 (i have windows
> XP ).

monrae fordi

"Bucky Breeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:Xns987260F76AB7CWiZEERD@216.151.153.21...
> Ponder <(E-Mail Removed)> loquaciously articulated in
> news:1ugw8eswf68eo$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hiya Bucky Breeder.
>>
>> In <news:Xns9871A84F52518WiZEERD@216.151.153.21> you wrote:
>>

> Reflecting back on the OP, I think that someone who's actually upset
> that Microsoft's Support Staff has failed to fix her SPAM issues on
> the first up, and she *don't* *like* their attitude, >>

Why dont you read the OP's post properly? she specifically said its *not* a
SPAM issue.
time waster and knucklehead

Bucky Breeder

>>> Bucky Breeder accurately summed it up a while ago in

>> Reflecting back on the OP, I think that someone who's actually
>> upset that Microsoft's Support Staff has failed to fix her SPAM
>> issues on the first up, and she *don't* *like* their attitude,

"monrae fordi" <(E-Mail Removed)> anachronistically
pulls himself away from a two-fisted poop-eating feast gala and
k00k-farts in news:zsI3h.5293$(E-Mail Removed):

> Why dont you read the OP's post properly?
> she specifically said its *not* a SPAM issue.
> time waster and knucklehead

1st and foremost, it must be noted that the above poster, "monrae
fordi" <(E-Mail Removed)>, submits his cheep-shot in the middle
of a rather long and labourious thread... and then dares to suggest to
someone else to read properly... Never mind the fact that he's become
so emotionally unbalanced that he forgets to put the apostrophy between
the n and t in [don't]. LOL!

Now, here's Bucky's response to an idiot who poops in his hand and
throws it at the real people - 2nd, here's the unedited OP's post:

"JWBH" <(E-Mail Removed)> hysterically spewed
in news:ig%2h.12109$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help
> people who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have
> received no response from them, in terms of feedback.
>
> I have had exactly this same problem with hotmail many times
> before, and before have asked them for some feedback on what is
> wrong. If for no other reason because when you notify them with a
> problem you first get routed to someone who invariably tells you
> to how to use the spam filter, or just reconfigure OE.
>
> you then have to tediously explain it all again before they then
> give you another address to write to and then you have to wait a
> day or two to get a response.
>
> Its no big deal, but when you have been through the same thing so
> many times before and continue to get no managerial response from
> them its very tiring.
>
> a copy of the last letter to the managers which i have copied
> below explains the problem i am having with the Hotmail account
> accessing it via Outlook Express.
>
> would anyone be able to suggest a course of action to resolve this
> issue once and for all please.
>
> thanks for any advice.
>

> Dear Sirs
>
> My Hotmail account now wants to download '796' (not some 200 odd
> as before) emails when i do a 'send and receive' in outlook
> express6 (i have windows XP ).
>
> I have not been able to communicate exactly what this problem is
> to your department very well. These are not possibly *all* spam (a
> few might be)[ as you colleague seems to suggests below with his
> response]. since i open and use this account every day, even if i
> got the maximum usual spam that would only account for about 4 or
> 5 items coming in, not the current 796.
>
> at the moment i have unchecked the box; 'include this account when
> receiving mail' in accounts in OE. because it slows up the
> computer.
>
> if you require me to check this box to include the account when
> receiving mail i can do so, if you require it done for any test
> purposes.
>
> i have had this trouble some times before and it was 'seemingly'
> fixed by someone at microsoft, since after a couple of days it
> ceased the massive erroneous download of emails. although i do not
> know what they did. if you can help with this problem again and
> perhaps you would let me know what you do. So if this happens
> again (it has happened four times in the past) i can inform any of
> your colleagues what the problem has been before, which may help
> them to pin point it straight away.
>
> many thanks for any assistance you are able to give with this
> problem.

Whooo, wheeee! That *is* a long and involved way to go... I don't care
who you are, that's a bunch of screwed-up and confused right there.

Now, I'm reading that she's suddenly getting 796 headers on a send and
receive button's command - instead of the usual 200...

To which she further eloquates "These are not possibly *all* spam (a
few might be)..."

In my judgment, a rule-out routine of *what is* and *what is not* SPAM
is as good a place to start as any. You got that? You got some problem
with that, you poop-eating, back-stabbing, half-witted boob-a-link?

Further, if you take the above OP line-by-line, there's a whole bunch
on spurious bitching-and-whining, and an utter lack of factual relevant
description devoted to a rather long, and obviously mal-focused
diatribe-drivel of mostly histrionics.

Much like your totally counter-productive k00k-fart, above.

And finally, if the poor disgruntled soul who posted the OP would snap
out of her drooldrums, and get off her pity-pot, and start somewhere,
anywhere, and post something positive, pro-active... someone, likely
*not* YOU, as you evince thouroughly YOU haven't got a clue - just a
retarded opinion - yes, someone might help her walk through her OE
settings and lock down her Send/Receive options, and use OE's filters,
to catagorize sort some of her appropriate incoming mail - and then
walk through Hotmail's filter options, and some folks might actually
learn something, besides your mamma's bitch-routines. No wonder your
daddy left you when you were little. Yes, it *was* all your fault!

And, IMHO, it's not Microsoft's job to teach logic to their customers,
just like it ain't Charmin's job to teach you to wipe your butt
hygenically.

Now, FOAD, you retared k00k wannabe, because you're obviously a
snibbling idiot.

--

As the crisp evening sky faded from that
brillant salmon color to a sort of flint gray,

Blinded and bewildered, suddenly and swiftly,
it came upon me like pure light and energy:
Now, I will keep him - and name him "Flint."