Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft response over Hotmail problems

Microsoft response over Hotmail problems

JWBH

I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help people
who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have received no response
from them, in terms of feedback.

I have had exactly this same problem with hotmail many times before, and
before have asked them for some feedback on what is wrong. If for no other
reason because when you notify them with a problem you first get routed to
someone who invariably tells you to how to use the spam filter, or just
reconfigure OE.

you then have to tediously explain it all again before they then give you
another address to write to and then you have to wait a day or two to get a
response.

Its no big deal, but when you have been through the same thing so many times
before and continue to get no managerial response from them its very tiring.

a copy of the last letter to the managers which i have copied below explains
the problem i am having with the Hotmail account accessing it via Outlook
Express.

would anyone be able to suggest a course of action to resolve this issue
once and for all please.

thanks for any advice.

Dear Sirs

My Hotmail account now wants to download '796' (not some 200 odd as before)
emails when i do a 'send and receive' in outlook express6 (i have windows
XP ).

I have not been able to communicate exactly what this problem is to your
department very well. These are not possibly *all* spam (a few might be)[ as
you colleague seems to suggests below with his response]. since i open and
use this account every day, even if i got the maximum usual spam that would
only account for about 4 or 5 items coming in, not the current 796.

at the moment i have unchecked the box; 'include this account when receiving
mail' in accounts in OE. because it slows up the computer.

if you require me to check this box to include the account when receiving
mail i can do so, if you require it done for any test purposes.

i have had this trouble some times before and it was 'seemingly' fixed by
someone at microsoft, since after a couple of days it ceased the massive
erroneous download of emails. although i do not know what they did. if you
can help with this problem again and perhaps you would let me know what you
do. So if this happens again (it has happened four times in the past) i can
inform any of your colleagues what the problem has been before, which may
help them to pin point it straight away.

many thanks for any assistance you are able to give with this problem.

Richard Urban

If you used a program such as MailWasher Pro, you would be able to "see"
what these messages are <*before*> downloading them. Being that the majority
of them are likely S.P.A.M., you can set up filters to automatically delete
the S.P.A.M. messages before you download the valid messages.

Believe me - this program works. My brother was being plagued with huge
downloads from a friend (jokes, images, music etc.) while he was on dialup.
It would lock up his internet connection for hours when he retrieved his
mail through Outlook Express. Using MailWasher, he was able to delete the
crap directly from the ISP's mail server. None of it was downloaded to his
computer when he retrieved his mail.

Give it a try! www.firetrust.com

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"JWBH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ig%2h.12109$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help people
> who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have received no
> response from them, in terms of feedback.
>
> I have had exactly this same problem with hotmail many times before, and
> before have asked them for some feedback on what is wrong. If for no other
> reason because when you notify them with a problem you first get routed to
> someone who invariably tells you to how to use the spam filter, or just
> reconfigure OE.
>
> you then have to tediously explain it all again before they then give you
> another address to write to and then you have to wait a day or two to get
> a response.
>
> Its no big deal, but when you have been through the same thing so many
> times before and continue to get no managerial response from them its very
> tiring.
>
> a copy of the last letter to the managers which i have copied below
> explains the problem i am having with the Hotmail account accessing it via
> Outlook Express.
>
> would anyone be able to suggest a course of action to resolve this issue
> once and for all please.
>
> thanks for any advice.
>

> Dear Sirs
>
> My Hotmail account now wants to download '796' (not some 200 odd as
> before) emails when i do a 'send and receive' in outlook express6 (i have
> windows XP ).
>
> I have not been able to communicate exactly what this problem is to your
> department very well. These are not possibly *all* spam (a few might
> be)[ as you colleague seems to suggests below with his response]. since i
> open and use this account every day, even if i got the maximum usual spam
> that would only account for about 4 or 5 items coming in, not the current
> 796.
>
> at the moment i have unchecked the box; 'include this account when
> receiving mail' in accounts in OE. because it slows up the computer.
>
> if you require me to check this box to include the account when receiving
> mail i can do so, if you require it done for any test purposes.
>
> i have had this trouble some times before and it was 'seemingly' fixed by
> someone at microsoft, since after a couple of days it ceased the massive
> erroneous download of emails. although i do not know what they did. if
> you can help with this problem again and perhaps you would let me know
> what you do. So if this happens again (it has happened four times in the
> past) i can inform any of your colleagues what the problem has been
> before, which may help them to pin point it straight away.
>
> many thanks for any assistance you are able to give with this problem.

Zygy

I entirely agree with you! MailWasherPro works very well. You are presented
with all the emails and have the facility of marking them as Friends or
Blacklist them for ever after. In addition you can mark them for deletion
and so they will not be transferred to OE.

I was troubled with SPAM emails in the past and found MailWasher of real
help in dealing with the problem, which I do not have now, since changing my
ISP.

I found that filters sometimes filter emails, which you do not want them to
filter! You do not have this problem with MailWasher. You make the choice!
See:- www.mailwasher.com

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> 796.
>>
>> at the moment i have unchecked the box; 'include this account when
>> receiving mail' in accounts in OE. because it slows up the computer.
>>
>> if you require me to check this box to include the account when receiving
>> mail i can do so, if you require it done for any test purposes.
>>
>> i have had this trouble some times before and it was 'seemingly' fixed by
>> someone at microsoft, since after a couple of days it ceased the massive
>> erroneous download of emails. although i do not know what they did. if
>> you can help with this problem again and perhaps you would let me know
>> what you do. So if this happens again (it has happened four times in the
>> past) i can inform any of your colleagues what the problem has been
>> before, which may help them to pin point it straight away.
>>
>> many thanks for any assistance you are able to give with this problem.

Bucky Breeder

"JWBH" <(E-Mail Removed)> n00bie skribbled in
news:ig%2h.12109$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help
> people who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have
> received no response from them, in terms of feedback.
>
> I have had exactly this same problem with hotmail many times
> before, and before have asked them for some feedback on what is
> wrong. If for no other reason because when you notify them with a
> problem you first get routed to someone who invariably tells you
> to how to use the spam filter, or just reconfigure OE.

And after they so patiently listened to that much, and generously
suggested what you have presented above, *exactly* *why* did you
*not* reconfig your OE, and either use OE filters or at least get a
free trial on a 3rd party filter and try it out?

> you then have to tediously explain it all again before they then
> give you another address to write to and then you have to wait a
> day or two to get a response.
>
> Its no big deal, but when you have been through the same thing so
> many times before and continue to get no managerial response from
> them its very tiring.

Having some humble field of experience with consulting on technical
and/or psychological matters, I'll share this standard operating
principle with you: when someone asking for help comes back "again",
I summarily have a look at what they said that last time, and what
they're saying they did about it - this time... Suggesting the
likely solution, and *not* receiving any evidence of any credible
and/or *responsive* *pro-active* attempts to address the previous
suggestion - *to* *them* it's very tiring - but then there's always
the next case [in the continuum], who likely *wants* to solve their
problem(s).

> a copy of the last letter to the managers which i have copied
> below explains the problem i am having with the Hotmail account
> accessing it via Outlook Express.
>
> would anyone be able to suggest a course of action to resolve this
> issue once and for all please.
>
> thanks for any advice.

Seems you were handed "Get an e-Mail filter, learn it, use it."

"...advice?" A wise man never gives it and a fool never takes it...

> Dear Sirs
>
> My Hotmail account now wants to download '796' (not some 200 odd
> as before) emails when i do a 'send and receive' in outlook
> express6 (i have windows XP ).
>
> I have not been able to communicate exactly what this problem is
> to your department very well. These are not possibly *all* spam (a
> few might be)[ as you colleague seems to suggests below with his
> response]. since i open and use this account every day, even if i
> got the maximum usual spam that would only account for about 4 or
> 5 items coming in, not the current 796.
>
> at the moment i have unchecked the box; 'include this account when
> receiving mail' in accounts in OE. because it slows up the
> computer.
>
> if you require me to check this box to include the account when
> receiving mail i can do so, if you require it done for any test
> purposes.
>
> i have had this trouble some times before and it was 'seemingly'
> fixed by someone at microsoft, since after a couple of days it
> ceased the massive erroneous download of emails. although i do not
> know what they did. if you can help with this problem again and
> perhaps you would let me know what you do. So if this happens
> again (it has happened four times in the past) i can inform any of
> your colleagues what the problem has been before, which may help
> them to pin point it straight away.
>
> many thanks for any assistance you are able to give with this
> problem.

So, ma'am, you're saying that your software is broken and you want
someone [to wit, Microsoft...] to *fix* it?

Anyway, it sounds like you have "speed-reading" deficiency, to me.
Possibly deslexia. Does *Hello!* look like *O Hell* to you?

Here's your solution: Get off the illegal drugs. Put down the anti-
Microsoft picket-sign. [It's rather like picketing the pre-school
because it's *their* fault that you didn't learn to tie your shoes.]
Get professional help as needed. Eat regular balanced meals. Use a
fiber-supplement as needed to stay regular. Perhaps get a free copy
of "Professor Teaches You to Tie Your Shoes" from that 800 number on
TV. And get an e-Mail filter. Then you need to *use* the e-Mail
filter. It's a process, not a pill.

Best regards.

--

When I think back on all the blessings
which have been dispensed in my lifetime:

.... unless you count that rattlesnake
who granted me all those wishes.

Thip

"JWBH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ig%2h.12109$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have sent this email below to the Managers at Microsoft who help people
> who have problems with their Hotmail accounts, and have received no
> response from them, in terms of feedback.

Have you tried accessing your Hotmail through the Web interface so you can
see what's going on?

Ponder

Hiya Zygy.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> I entirely agree with you! MailWasherPro works very well. You are presented
> with all the emails and have the facility of marking them as Friends or
> Blacklist them for ever after. In addition you can mark them for deletion
> and so they will not be transferred to OE.

If you can get Mailwasher to work with Hotmail then I'm sure there are a
lot of people out there who would like to know how you did it

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Bucky Breeder

> Hiya Zygy.
>
> In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:
>
>> I entirely agree with you! MailWasherPro works very well. You are
>> presented with all the emails and have the facility of marking
>> them as Friends or Blacklist them for ever after. In addition you
>> can mark them for deletion and so they will not be transferred to
>> OE.

Ponder <(E-Mail Removed)> loquaciously articulated in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

http://www.mailwasher.net/

--

!!! WARNING !!! Beware of these creatures which have been
introduced into our population by the alien invasion's preliminary

http://tinyurl.com/ynd4y6

Use great caution when encountering and evading these creatures.
"Got milk?" has become a dangerous question. !!! END WARNING !!!

thanatoid

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If you used a program such as MailWasher Pro, you would be
> able to "see" what these messages are <*before*>
> downloading them. Being that the majority of them are
> likely S.P.A.M., you can set up filters to automatically
> delete the S.P.A.M. messages before you download the valid
> messages.

Hello,

Since you are the first person I have ever seen that writes SPAM
with periods, this implies you MIGHT know what it actually
stands for. I never bought the "can of spam emptied in front of
an industrial fan" explanation, and I still don't. In fact, I
have an idea or two of what it could really be an acronym for,
but I wonder of you'd care to comment?

Thank you
t.

Ken Blake, MVP

thanatoid wrote:
> "Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> If you used a program such as MailWasher Pro, you would be
>> able to "see" what these messages are <*before*>
>> downloading them. Being that the majority of them are
>> likely S.P.A.M., you can set up filters to automatically
>> delete the S.P.A.M. messages before you download the valid
>> messages.

> Hello,
>
> Since you are the first person I have ever seen that writes SPAM
> with periods, this implies you MIGHT know what it actually
> stands for. I never bought the "can of spam emptied in front of
> an industrial fan" explanation, and I still don't. In fact, I
> have an idea or two of what it could really be an acronym for,
> but I wonder of you'd care to comment?

It's not an acronym for anything. The word comes from the Mony Python
skit/song "Spam." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(Monty_Python)

Please reply to the newsgroup

Ponder

Hiya Bucky Breeder.

In <news:Xns98716B2D99582WiZEERD@216.151.153.13> you wrote:

>> If you can get Mailwasher to work with Hotmail then I'm sure
>> there are a lot of people out there who would like to know
>> how you did it

> http://www.mailwasher.net/

So I'll ask again, how do you get Mailwasher to check Hotmail?

Mailwasher Pro is not Mailwasher, there's a big difference... like about
$37 worth of difference!

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952