Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > LCD Screen defect

LCD Screen defect

MrB

Two of three identical LCD screens have recently developed defects. They
have been running for about 4+years. The defect is a black patch about the
size of an American quarter. One is quite round, the other is a little
irregular, but largely round. I shined my flashlight on the screen with the
monitor turned off. The black patches are visible and are behind the surface
of the screen. These are Neovo monitors. Has anyone seen this type of
failure? Any ideas why? Is this a common LCD failure?

Thanks,
MrB

Whiskers

On 2006-11-03, MrB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Two of three identical LCD screens have recently developed defects. They
> have been running for about 4+years. The defect is a black patch about the
> size of an American quarter. One is quite round, the other is a little
> irregular, but largely round. I shined my flashlight on the screen with the
> monitor turned off. The black patches are visible and are behind the surface
> of the screen. These are Neovo monitors. Has anyone seen this type of
> failure? Any ideas why? Is this a common LCD failure?
>
> Thanks,
> MrB

'Dead pixels' are a common failure of LCD displays. Many LCD monitors
have a few dead or 'stuck' pixels even when new, but if there are not too
many of them in a cluster and the faulty pixels aren't anywhere
'significant' for the user, they can easily go un-noticed.

I had one laptop display which went 'dead' over about a third of its area,
following a slight bump. Replacement is the only cure.

--
-- Whiskers