Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer Usage Monitoring Tools?

Computer Usage Monitoring Tools?

Christopher.Hoche@gmail.com

Wanted to post and get some suggestions on what tools are available for
monitoring users computer and internet usage in a corporate
environment... Perhaps something that will log users internet history
etc.

Anyone have any starting points for me?

Thanks in advance.

Evan Platt

On 31 Oct 2006 12:02:54 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Wanted to post and get some suggestions on what tools are available for
>monitoring users computer and internet usage in a corporate
>environment... Perhaps something that will log users internet history
>etc.
>
>Anyone have any starting points for me?
>
>Thanks in advance.

That depends on how your network is set up, how users connect to the
internet, what operating system you have available on a server, etc.

why?

On 31 Oct 2006 12:02:54 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Wanted to post and get some suggestions on what tools are available for
>monitoring users computer and internet usage in a corporate
>environment... Perhaps something that will log users internet history
>etc.
>
>Anyone have any starting points for me?
>
>Thanks in advance.

www.google.com

Once you add the make model brand of any switches / routers you have to
any Google search you may find something.

Maybe you even have a proxy server or can get your ISP to provide
reports of internet usage.

Me

Walter Mautner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Wanted to post and get some suggestions on what tools are available for
> monitoring users computer and internet usage in a corporate
> environment... Perhaps something that will log users internet history
> etc.

The common way is disallow direct internet connections (block port 80 and
relatives from accessing outbound), and installing a (maybe transparent)
proxy. That can be as cheap as a linux box with iptables/squid/squidguard
and logging, or it may be a commercial solution with support contracts.