Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Cable Unplugged Error

Network Cable Unplugged Error

reynaldo enriquez

Hello anybody!

I got a problem with my Wi-fi network with a network cable unplugged
error
on my client PC on my daughters room. Her PC can't connect though signal
seems
to be OK. Our's running XP and I can't figure out why. How do you reset
the modem or router on a broadband. Please, anybody. Thanks.

Rayray

Duane Arnold

"reynaldo enriquez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:apN0h.371881$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello anybody!
>
> I got a problem with my Wi-fi network with a network cable unplugged
> error
> on my client PC on my daughters room. Her PC can't connect though signal
> seems
> to be OK. Our's running XP and I can't figure out why. How do you reset
> the modem or router on a broadband. Please, anybody. Thanks.
>
> Rayray

The router has a reset button on it that you hold down for 30 seconds or
more to reset it, read the manual. If other machines wired or wireless are
connecting to the Internet, then leave the modem alone, as there is nothing
wrong with it. It's possible that the machine has malware on it that's
stopping it from making a connection, the card is going defective, or the
router is going defective. But I suspect it's malware or the card, most
likely malware, which you can check by connecting the machine on a wire
connection and see if it can access the Internet. If it can't, then you may
need to reset the TCP/IP on XP as it may be hosed.

You can use IPconfig /all at the Command Prompt on XP it will tell you the
IP that the machine is getting from the router. If the IP starts with 169,
then the O/S on the machine is timing out and cannot get an IP from the
router that's going to allow it to access the Internet, like the machines
can do it, use IPconfig on the machines to see what IP the others have
that's allowing them to access the Internet via the router.

Search Google on *how to reset TCP/IP on XP*, to release the 169 IP if it's
there. You may find some malware tools, but it may come down to you using
the TCP/IP reset command for XP. If it's malware, then find it and remove
it.

Duane

Whiskers

On 2006-10-28, reynaldo enriquez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello anybody!
>
> I got a problem with my Wi-fi network with a network cable unplugged
> error
> on my client PC on my daughters room. Her PC can't connect though signal
> seems
> to be OK. Our's running XP and I can't figure out why. How do you reset
> the modem or router on a broadband. Please, anybody. Thanks.
>
> Rayray

You can re-start the router either by disconnecting the power suply,
waiting for a few moments, then re-connecting the power. There may also
be a 'restart' command in the router's admin interface, which you can
probably get to using a web-browser - see the instructions for the router.

If you use the reset button on the router, you will probably lose any
settings you've made and go back to the factory defaults.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

old man

More likely a problem with the wifi card / connector on the PC

"reynaldo enriquez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:apN0h.371881$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello anybody!
>
> I got a problem with my Wi-fi network with a network cable unplugged
> error
> on my client PC on my daughters room. Her PC can't connect though signal
> seems
> to be OK. Our's running XP and I can't figure out why. How do you reset
> the modem or router on a broadband. Please, anybody. Thanks.
>
> Rayray

Walter Mautner

reynaldo enriquez wrote:

> Hello anybody!
>
> I got a problem with my Wi-fi network with a network cable unplugged
> error
> on my client PC on my daughters room. Her PC can't connect though signal
> seems
> to be OK. Our's running XP and I can't figure out why. How do you reset
> the modem or router on a broadband. Please, anybody. Thanks.

If someone else (you?) can connect, there is no need to reset the modem
(just power it off for a minute) or the router (same thing - do NOT factory
reset unless it cannot be reached via web interface anymore).
Instead, you may go to the web interface on your wireless router, through
cable, according to the instructions, and change the wifi channel.
By default, all the routers seem to use channel 11, and you might have a
interference here.
The other pc should be able to find the network on other channels by
rescanning.