Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mouse Pointer Freezes on Start Up

Reply
Thread Tools

Mouse Pointer Freezes on Start Up

 
 
Squiffy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006

Hi
Can anyone help me.when I switch on my computer it boots up
then a blue page appears with the words Starting up Windows
then another page with those on the computer.

At this time it is still loading,then it just stops and the mouse
freezes, all I can do then is press the restart button.

When the computer will go through the same routine and the mouse
will then freeze.

Thank You for Your Help.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2006
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:18:48 +0100, Squiffy
<(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> wrote:

>
>Hi
>Can anyone help me.when I switch on my computer it boots up
>then a blue page appears with the words Starting up Windows
>then another page with those on the computer.
>
>At this time it is still loading,then it just stops and the mouse
>freezes, all I can do then is press the restart button.
>
>When the computer will go through the same routine and the mouse
>will then freeze.


Ummm... try a different mouse?

Try without the mouse?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Walter Mautner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006
Squiffy wrote:

>
> Hi
> Can anyone help me.when I switch on my computer it boots up
> then a blue page appears with the words Starting up Windows
> then another page with those on the computer.
>

"Those on the computer" ... you mean the welcome screen?

> At this time it is still loading,then it just stops and the mouse
> freezes, all I can do then is press the restart button.
>

You can't tell if the mouse freezes or never woke up, as it will/should
become visible or active first time on the welcome screen. Or ... can you
move the mouse just one tick or moment and *then* it freezes?
Now, what happens when you press the tab key or ctrl-alt-del? Does the
computer do "something" then?

> When the computer will go through the same routine and the mouse
> will then freeze.
>

You may try to start up in "safe mode" by pressing the F8 key (maybe a few
times) just before the "starting up windows" appears. You'll see a text
menu.
You may as well select "last known good ..." from there, if you suspect
something you installed - deliberately or not - the last time it booted
normally, could have caused the malfunction.

P.S.: everything here done with a newly polished crystal ball that told me
you are using XP ...

--
vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
 
Reply With Quote
 
Squiffy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006

>> Hi
>> Can anyone help me.when I switch on my computer it boots up
>> then a blue page appears with the words Starting up Windows
>> then another page with those on the computer.
>>

>"Those on the computer" ... you mean the welcome screen?


Yes the welcome screen
>
>> At this time it is still loading,then it just stops and the mouse
>> freezes, all I can do then is press the restart button.
>>

>You can't tell if the mouse freezes or never woke up, as it will/should
>become visible or active first time on the welcome screen.


On the welcome screen I can move the mouse while the orange light
on the computer tower is still flashing on and of, but then before the
computer has finished loading it will stop and the mouse will freeze.

>Now, what happens when you press the tab key or ctrl-alt-del? Does the
>computer do "something" then?


No nothing happens, I have to press the restart button.

>> When the computer will go through the same routine and the mouse
>> will then freeze.


For the last three days I have left the computer on stand by so that I can
still use it.

>You may try to start up in "safe mode" by pressing the F8 key (maybe a few
>times) just before the "starting up windows" appears. You'll see a text
>menu.
>You may as well select "last known good ..." from there, if you suspect
>something you installed - deliberately or not - the last time it booted
>normally, could have caused the malfunction.
>
>P.S.: everything here done with a newly polished crystal ball that told me
>you are using XP ...


Yes I am using Windows XP with sp2.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ponder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006
Hiya Walter Mautner.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> Well, if I completely unplug the mouse there will be no cursor at all.


<unable to speak through uncontrollable laughter>

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
Ponder - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Walter Mautner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006
Ponder wrote:

> Hiya Walter Mautner.
>
> In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:
>
>> Well, if I completely unplug the mouse there will be no cursor at all.

>
> <unable to speak through uncontrollable laughter>
>

Damn. I have a lot of 2k desktops, and unplugging the mouse before starting
up the machine does not show any mouse cursor at all. Same with a few XP
boxen, as I remember.
Indeed, if it's unplugged later, the mouse just "freezes".
--
vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
 
Reply With Quote
 
Walter Mautner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006
Demon Lord of Confusion wrote:

>> Well, if I completely unplug the mouse there will be no cursor at all.

>
> If that's true for you, then you need to kill the con artist who sold
> you your computer. He ripped you off big-time. Prison's too good for
> 'im.
>

You'd rather be a hedge lawyer. Of course I meant "no _mouse_ cursor". Text
cursors are still there.
--
vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
 
Reply With Quote
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:13:48 +0100, Walter Mautner Has Frothed:

> Demon Lord of Confusion wrote:
>
>>> Well, if I completely unplug the mouse there will be no cursor at all.

>>
>> If that's true for you, then you need to kill the con artist who sold
>> you your computer. He ripped you off big-time. Prison's too good for
>> 'im.
>>

> You'd rather be a hedge lawyer. Of course I meant "no _mouse_ cursor".
> Text cursors are still there.


The mouse cursor is still there if you boot without a mouse.

--
Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

COOSN-266-06-25794
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ponder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006
Hiya Meat Plow.

In <news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local> you wrote:

>> You'd rather be a hedge lawyer. Of course I meant "no _mouse_ cursor".
>> Text cursors are still there.

> The mouse cursor is still there if you boot without a mouse.


Yup, you can even move it using the keyboard.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
Ponder - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heres a mouse theres a mouse what a mouse do? unholy Gaming 37 09-17-2006 08:59 AM
My mouse Hangs when I start my computer and then start Firefox booddhhoo Computer Support 3 03-12-2006 05:38 PM
Change of mouse pointer is only visible if I move the mouse Stefan Mueller Javascript 0 01-28-2006 06:41 PM
PS/2 Mouse freezes when USB controller is enabled Help please Mac Lynch Computer Support 1 08-02-2003 06:34 PM
USB freezes Serial Mouse, Help! Mac Lynch Computer Support 1 08-01-2003 11:15 PM



Advertisments