Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop keyboard out

laptop keyboard out

edgy

I know this isn't really an audio question, but maybe someone out there has
had a similar situation.

I'm running a Zaxcom Deva V, and use a keyboard to type in track/take names,
etc..

I also have a laptop on my rig, and I just had the thought that maybe I
could use my laptop keyboard to input into the Deva V.

Is there a program out there (I use Windows and Linux now, but perhaps Mac
in the near future) that, when running, would route my keystrokes out of the
USB port - in effect emulating a regular keyboard?

This would eliminate the need to have two keyboards!

Any ideas?

Kan iemand mij een programma raadden waardoor ik mijn laptop keyboard
gebruik om in mijn Zaxcom Deva V te typen? Het Deva moet gewoon denken dat
het een normale keyboard is...

Gert Wiersema

rec.arts.movies.production.sound

Groet,
Gert

Arny Krueger

"edgy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ehp0ki$g75$(E-Mail Removed)...

>I know this isn't really an audio question, but maybe someone out there has
>had a similar situation.
>
> I'm running a Zaxcom Deva V, and use a keyboard to type in track/take
> names, etc..

> I also have a laptop on my rig, and I just had the thought that maybe I
> could use my laptop keyboard to input into the Deva V.

> Is there a program out there (I use Windows and Linux now, but perhaps Mac
> in the near future) that, when running, would route my keystrokes out of
> the USB port - in effect emulating a regular keyboard?

One of the many remote control programs could do that. This includes Remote
desktop, which is part of XP.

Basically you run host software on the remote computer (the computer you
want to direct your keystrokes to) and client software on the pc you want to
direct keystrokes from. You type into a window that shows the desktop of the
remote computer.

Gert Wiersema

> One of the many remote control programs could do that. This includes
> Remote desktop, which is part of XP.

Unfortunately, the Zaxcom Deva V is not a Windows based machine.

http://www.zaxcom.com

Grt

edgy

"Arny Krueger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> One of the many remote control programs could do that. This includes
> Remote desktop, which is part of XP.
>
> Basically you run host software on the remote computer (the computer you
> want to direct your keystrokes to) and client software on the pc you want
> to direct keystrokes from. You type into a window that shows the desktop
> of the remote computer.

While this would be optimal, I don't think Zaxcom will be developing remote
desktop-type access anytime soon (although I will mention it to them).

It would really need to be something that just emulates a keyboard, for now.

Marc Amsterdam

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:55:58 +0200, "Gert Wiersema" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> One of the many remote control programs could do that. This includes
>> Remote desktop, which is part of XP.

>Unfortunately, the Zaxcom Deva V is not a Windows based machine.
>
>http://www.zaxcom.com

oh but arny know that, he knows all...

>Grt

Bob Urz

edgy wrote:
> "Arny Krueger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>

>>One of the many remote control programs could do that. This includes
>>Remote desktop, which is part of XP.
>>
>>Basically you run host software on the remote computer (the computer you
>>want to direct your keystrokes to) and client software on the pc you want
>>to direct keystrokes from. You type into a window that shows the desktop
>>of the remote computer.
>>

> While this would be optimal, I don't think Zaxcom will be developing remote
> desktop-type access anytime soon (although I will mention it to them).
>
> It would really need to be something that just emulates a keyboard, for now.

Plug in a USB keyboard.

Bob