Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Migrating to another ISP

Migrating to another ISP

DannyD

Can I transfer my old Explorer favs and email add book over to my new ISP?

Going from Tiscali to BT

Cheers.

samuel

"DannyD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:453f3cd9$(E-Mail Removed):

> Can I transfer my old Explorer favs and email add book over to
> my new ISP?
>
> Going from Tiscali to BT
>

> Cheers.

if you are still using same computer, same browser
and email client the address book remains there
also the favorites

changing isp should not 'remove' what you have saved there

Douglas C. Neidermeyer

"DannyD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:453f3cd9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I transfer my old Explorer favs and email add book over to my new ISP?
>
> Going from Tiscali to BT

Browser and email program are independent of ISP-- there's nothing to
"transfer" because they're on your hard drive.

Doug

gangle

"DannyD" wrote in message
> Can I transfer my old Explorer favs and email add book
> over to my new ISP?
>
> Going from Tiscali to BT

That kind of data within your browser and/or email client has
no connection/relationship to any particular ISP. It's sounds
like you are green enough to benefit from a simple definition
of an ISP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISP

Your personal choice of software (and corresponding
data) that you use to access the conduit the ISP provides
is on your hard drive, not within the conduit, and is
none of the ISP's business.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

> "DannyD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Can I transfer my old Explorer favs and email add book over to my new
>> ISP?
>>
>> Going from Tiscali to BT

> Browser and email program are independent of ISP-- there's nothing to
> "transfer" because they're on your hard drive.

Re the address book: if DannyD is using only a web mail interface and
its corresponding address book, and not keeping that service, those data
would disappear when he switched service. He would have to export the
addresses and save them to his computer first.

I only mention this because one of my ISPs gives newbies links to its
home pages and web mail interface, and the newbs seem to think they
*must* use this interface. They generate thousands of questions like
"why does my Inbox empty after 30 days" and "how can I save my emails"
and "I'm switching to broadband; can I keep my address book?"

As usual, we need more information.

--
-bts