Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > odd behaviour in win xp

Reply
Thread Tools

odd behaviour in win xp

 
 
jils
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2006
a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though
saved during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for
finding lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search
windows open, each looking for a different string of text that might
help, and much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the
three search windows simply disappeared!

NOW i believe that the word document disappeared! i've suggested
scanning with adaware, spybot, ewido (although the owner of the computer
prefers pest patrol and that's the only anti spyware program running
currently) and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system
restore, that won't bring back a saved document though, will it?

anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2006
jils <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though
>saved during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for
>finding lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search
>windows open, each looking for a different string of text that might
>help, and much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the
>three search windows simply disappeared!


In windows search for: *.DOC
when done click on date modified. look for the time he "saved" it.
( * = Shift-

>NOW i believe that the word document disappeared! i've suggested
>scanning with adaware, spybot, ewido (although the owner of the computer
>prefers pest patrol and that's the only anti spyware program running
>currently) and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system
>restore, that won't bring back a saved document though, will it?
>
>anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?



--
http://www.duggmirror.com/space/Spac..._220_miles_up/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jils
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2006
thanks, i did all that. i searched for .doc and i searched all files
containing strings of text. i had no luck. i was interested to know if
anyone else has seen this type of behaviour in win xp.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>
> In windows search for: *.DOC when done click on date modified. look
> for the time he "saved" it. ( * = Shift-

 
Reply With Quote
 
old man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2006
usually caused by user error

"jils" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:453ebf58$0$2917$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> thanks, i did all that. i searched for .doc and i searched all files
> containing strings of text. i had no luck. i was interested to know if
> anyone else has seen this type of behaviour in win xp.
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >
> > In windows search for: *.DOC when done click on date modified. look
> > for the time he "saved" it. ( * = Shift-



 
Reply With Quote
 
jils
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2006
yeah, i thought the user had erred, until i watched my searches misappear!

old man wrote:
> usually caused by user error

 
Reply With Quote
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2006
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:36:39 +1000, jils Has Frothed:

> a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though saved
> during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for finding
> lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search windows
> open, each looking for a different string of text that might help, and
> much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the three search
> windows simply disappeared!
>
> NOW i believe that the word document disappeared! i've suggested scanning
> with adaware, spybot, ewido (although the owner of the computer prefers
> pest patrol and that's the only anti spyware program running currently)
> and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system restore, that won't
> bring back a saved document though, will it?
>
> anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?


Is the machine on a network?


--
Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

COOSN-266-06-25794
 
Reply With Quote
 
Whiskers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2006
On 2006-10-25, jils <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though
> saved during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for
> finding lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search
> windows open, each looking for a different string of text that might
> help, and much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the
> three search windows simply disappeared!
>
> NOW i believe that the word document disappeared! i've suggested
> scanning with adaware, spybot, ewido (although the owner of the computer
> prefers pest patrol and that's the only anti spyware program running
> currently) and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system
> restore, that won't bring back a saved document though, will it?
>
> anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?


Could be a hardware problem; RAM and HD would be worth checking.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gaius Baltar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2006
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:07:53 +0100, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2006-10-25, jils <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> a friend claimed that a word document had "disappeared" even though
>> saved during typing. i offered to help, tried several suggestions for
>> finding lost document. during my attempt at helping i had three search
>> windows open, each looking for a different string of text that might
>> help, and much as i hate to say it, after some minutes of searching the
>> three search windows simply disappeared!
>>
>> NOW i believe that the word document disappeared! i've suggested
>> scanning with adaware, spybot, ewido (although the owner of the computer
>> prefers pest patrol and that's the only anti spyware program running
>> currently) and the anti virus of choice. i wondered about system
>> restore, that won't bring back a saved document though, will it?
>>
>> anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?

>
>Could be a hardware problem; RAM and HD would be worth checking.


Go to Start, Run, type CMD and press Enter.

In the CMD windows, type CHKDSK C: /f and press Enter.

Answer Y to the question.

Restart the PC.

After getting back to normal windows, look in My Computer, C: drive,
for any FOUND000 etc folders. Could possibly be in there.

gb
 
Reply With Quote
 
jils
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2006
it's networked with two others in the same room. where were you going
with this idea ...

Meat Plow wrote:

>> anyone have any input on this disappearing behaviour?

>
> Is the machine on a network?
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
jils
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2006
thanks, we'll try that.

Gaius Baltar wrote:

> Go to Start, Run, type CMD and press Enter.
>
> In the CMD windows, type CHKDSK C: /f and press Enter.
>
> Answer Y to the question.
>
> Restart the PC.
>
> After getting back to normal windows, look in My Computer, C: drive,
> for any FOUND000 etc folders. Could possibly be in there.
>
> gb

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applet to run on Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Win Vista & Win 7 ?? Krist Java 6 05-06-2010 11:53 PM
Odd behavior with odd code Michael Speer C Programming 33 02-18-2007 07:31 AM
39th month? Odd DateTime behaviour! =?Utf-8?B?ZGhucml2ZXJzaWRl?= ASP .Net 5 09-03-2005 07:50 AM
Odd behaviour of link colours? Peter Charles HTML 1 01-27-2004 10:21 PM
Odd clientID behaviour John ASP .Net 0 08-20-2003 01:12 PM



Advertisments