Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Mike Meyer's Certification Books

Mike Meyer's Certification Books

Eli

I just graduated from college in May and now that I am working, I can afford
to persue some certifications. I had two semesters of certification prep
courses that covered Wndows 2K MCSE (at the time I didn't have the extra
cash for the exams, though). At this point, however, I am more interested
in 2003 certification. My question is this: Has anyone used the Mike
Meyers' Certification Passport books? Are they useful, or should I look
somewhere else? I was looking at the smaller books because I already have a
solid understanding of 2K MCSE concepts. If anyone has any other
suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

There are a lot of small but significant changes in 2003 and although
knowing 2000 is a great help you really need some hands on experience and
heavyweight books. Mike Meyers are OK for revision but I would (do) go for
Microsoft Official Curriculum books and Sybex along with Technet and MSDN.
It's costly and time consuming but becoming an expert isn't supposed to be
easy.

Good luck.
Dave

"Eli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq3pde$fnbo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just graduated from college in May and now that I am working, I can

afford
> to persue some certifications. I had two semesters of certification prep
> courses that covered Wndows 2K MCSE (at the time I didn't have the extra
> cash for the exams, though). At this point, however, I am more interested
> in 2003 certification. My question is this: Has anyone used the Mike
> Meyers' Certification Passport books? Are they useful, or should I look
> somewhere else? I was looking at the smaller books because I already have

> solid understanding of 2K MCSE concepts. If anyone has any other
> suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance

Dave

There are a lot of small but significant changes in 2003 and although
knowing 2000 is a great help you really need some hands on experience and
heavyweight books. Mike Meyers are OK for revision but I would (do) go for
Microsoft Official Curriculum books and Sybex along with Technet and MSDN.
It's costly and time consuming but becoming an expert isn't supposed to be
easy.

Good luck.
Dave

"Eli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq3pde$fnbo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just graduated from college in May and now that I am working, I can

afford
> to persue some certifications. I had two semesters of certification prep
> courses that covered Wndows 2K MCSE (at the time I didn't have the extra
> cash for the exams, though). At this point, however, I am more interested
> in 2003 certification. My question is this: Has anyone used the Mike
> Meyers' Certification Passport books? Are they useful, or should I look
> somewhere else? I was looking at the smaller books because I already have

> solid understanding of 2K MCSE concepts. If anyone has any other
> suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance

Dave

Please ignore, I was replying to Eli's question. Don't know how this message
got here.

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are a lot of small but significant changes in 2003 and although
> knowing 2000 is a great help you really need some hands on experience and
> heavyweight books. Mike Meyers are OK for revision but I would (do) go for
> Microsoft Official Curriculum books and Sybex along with Technet and MSDN.
> It's costly and time consuming but becoming an expert isn't supposed to be
> easy.
>
> Good luck.
> Dave
>

> "Eli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bq3pde$fnbo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just graduated from college in May and now that I am working, I can

> afford
> > to persue some certifications. I had two semesters of certification

prep
> > courses that covered Wndows 2K MCSE (at the time I didn't have the extra
> > cash for the exams, though). At this point, however, I am more

interested
> > in 2003 certification. My question is this: Has anyone used the Mike
> > Meyers' Certification Passport books? Are they useful, or should I look
> > somewhere else? I was looking at the smaller books because I already

have
> > solid understanding of 2K MCSE concepts. If anyone has any other
> > suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Rick

I agree completely. The Mike Meyers books are really good review if you have
a good working knowledge of the product already. However they really are not
the best place to look for in-depth information. Do yourself a favor and
purchase some of the more comprehensive books which you can use for
reference material on the job!

RICK

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are a lot of small but significant changes in 2003 and although
> knowing 2000 is a great help you really need some hands on experience and
> heavyweight books. Mike Meyers are OK for revision but I would (do) go for
> Microsoft Official Curriculum books and Sybex along with Technet and MSDN.
> It's costly and time consuming but becoming an expert isn't supposed to be
> easy.
>
> Good luck.
> Dave
>
> "Eli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bq3pde$fnbo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just graduated from college in May and now that I am working, I can

> afford
> > to persue some certifications. I had two semesters of certification

prep
> > courses that covered Wndows 2K MCSE (at the time I didn't have the extra
> > cash for the exams, though). At this point, however, I am more

interested
> > in 2003 certification. My question is this: Has anyone used the Mike
> > Meyers' Certification Passport books? Are they useful, or should I look
> > somewhere else? I was looking at the smaller books because I already

have
> > solid understanding of 2K MCSE concepts. If anyone has any other
> > suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Eli

Thanks for the advice, I will definitelt invest in some in depth text books.
I have one more question. Since I already have the training, should I take
the 2000 exams and upgrade? I am starting to lean that way because my
employer will pay for the exams. What do you think?

Thanks

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I agree completely. The Mike Meyers books are really good review if you

have
> a good working knowledge of the product already. However they really are

not
> the best place to look for in-depth information. Do yourself a favor and
> purchase some of the more comprehensive books which you can use for
> reference material on the job!
>
> RICK
>
> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There are a lot of small but significant changes in 2003 and although
> > knowing 2000 is a great help you really need some hands on experience

and
> > heavyweight books. Mike Meyers are OK for revision but I would (do) go

for
> > Microsoft Official Curriculum books and Sybex along with Technet and

MSDN.
> > It's costly and time consuming but becoming an expert isn't supposed to

be
> > easy.
> >
> > Good luck.
> > Dave
> >
> > "Eli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bq3pde$fnbo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I just graduated from college in May and now that I am working, I can

> > afford
> > > to persue some certifications. I had two semesters of certification

> prep
> > > courses that covered Wndows 2K MCSE (at the time I didn't have the

extra
> > > cash for the exams, though). At this point, however, I am more

> interested
> > > in 2003 certification. My question is this: Has anyone used the Mike
> > > Meyers' Certification Passport books? Are they useful, or should I

look
> > > somewhere else? I was looking at the smaller books because I already

> have
> > > solid understanding of 2K MCSE concepts. If anyone has any other
> > > suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

Roger Abell

Ask your employer about their timeframe for W2k3 upgrade.
This could make you more valued in their overall plans.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
"Eli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq6629$1a8f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the advice, I will definitelt invest in some in depth text

books.
> I have one more question. Since I already have the training, should I

take
> the 2000 exams and upgrade? I am starting to lean that way because my
> employer will pay for the exams. What do you think?
>
> Thanks

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I agree completely. The Mike Meyers books are really good review if you

> have
> > a good working knowledge of the product already. However they really are

> not
> > the best place to look for in-depth information. Do yourself a favor and
> > purchase some of the more comprehensive books which you can use for
> > reference material on the job!
> >
> > RICK
> >
> > "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > There are a lot of small but significant changes in 2003 and although
> > > knowing 2000 is a great help you really need some hands on experience

> and
> > > heavyweight books. Mike Meyers are OK for revision but I would (do) go

> for
> > > Microsoft Official Curriculum books and Sybex along with Technet and

> MSDN.
> > > It's costly and time consuming but becoming an expert isn't supposed

> be
> > > easy.
> > >
> > > Good luck.
> > > Dave
> > >
> > > "Eli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bq3pde$fnbo$(E-Mail Removed)...

can
> > > afford

> > prep

> extra

> > interested

Mike

> look

already
> > have

if string = "mike" then print "Hi mike" Bigmac Turdsplash Ruby 4 05-06-2009 01:28 PM
Mike Meyers' Certification Passport (2nd Ed.) vs. A+ All-In-One Certification (5th Ed.) Gondo A+ Certification 6 07-06-2005 08:54 PM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Re: "Mike" & "Mike" geothermal Computer Support 2 04-09-2004 09:52 PM

Advertisments