Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > COM port assignment with USB->Serial adapter?

COM port assignment with USB->Serial adapter?

Charles

I'm trying to use an appliance that connects to an RS232
serial port on newer PCs without serial ports by using
a USB->Serial adapter under Windows XP SP2.

The (older) software which operates the appliance is
programmed only to connect to a serial port COM1 to COM4,
but on some PCs the adapter driver installs as a higher
port, e.g., COM5.

If I check the advanced properties of that port with a
view towards changing it, I find that the lower ports
are all listed as "in use". However there's nothing in
the Device Manager under COM ports to indicate what is
using them.

How can I determine what is using those ports? Would it
be possible to reassign whatever it is to a higher
numbered port so as to free up a port in the COM1-4 range?

Thanks for your help.

Michael Mendelsohn

Charles schrieb:
> I'm trying to use an appliance that connects to an RS232
> serial port on newer PCs without serial ports by using
> a USB->Serial adapter under Windows XP SP2.
>
> The (older) software which operates the appliance is
> programmed only to connect to a serial port COM1 to COM4,
> but on some PCs the adapter driver installs as a higher
> port, e.g., COM5.
>
> If I check the advanced properties of that port with a
> view towards changing it, I find that the lower ports
> are all listed as "in use". However there's nothing in
> the Device Manager under COM ports to indicate what is
> using them.

FWIW, just a few quick shots in teh dark, I've not experienced your
problem:

the lower four com ports used to use IRQ 3 and IRQ 4; maybe you can find
which devices claim those or even free them.

If you have an IR port, that could take up one of the COM ports as well.

My ISDN driver used to place modem emulations on some COM ports, have a
look in network properties. Could be a fax modem, too.

Cheers
mendel
--
Isn't it amazing how you don't know how to do something and then you do?
-- Bubbly blonde, Overheard in New York, February 04, 2005

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm trying to use an appliance that connects to an RS232
>serial port on newer PCs without serial ports by using
>a USB->Serial adapter under Windows XP SP2.
>
>The (older) software which operates the appliance is
>programmed only to connect to a serial port COM1 to COM4,
>but on some PCs the adapter driver installs as a higher
>port, e.g., COM5.
>
>If I check the advanced properties of that port with a
>view towards changing it, I find that the lower ports
>are all listed as "in use". However there's nothing in
>the Device Manager under COM ports to indicate what is
>using them.
>
>How can I determine what is using those ports? Would it
>be possible to reassign whatever it is to a higher
>numbered port so as to free up a port in the COM1-4 range?

Go into your bios and disable com ports 1 and 2, they will then be
available.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...os&btnG=Search

(Com port 1 is also 3 and 2 is 4)

--
Line Rider
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40255643/

DanR

Charles wrote:
> I'm trying to use an appliance that connects to an RS232
> serial port on newer PCs without serial ports by using
> a USB->Serial adapter under Windows XP SP2.
>
> The (older) software which operates the appliance is
> programmed only to connect to a serial port COM1 to COM4,
> but on some PCs the adapter driver installs as a higher
> port, e.g., COM5.
>
> If I check the advanced properties of that port with a
> view towards changing it, I find that the lower ports
> are all listed as "in use". However there's nothing in
> the Device Manager under COM ports to indicate what is
> using them.
>
> How can I determine what is using those ports? Would it
> be possible to reassign whatever it is to a higher
> numbered port so as to free up a port in the COM1-4 range?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Try this free utility: ComCheck32 at bottom of this page.
http://www.addenda-elect.com/software.htm
Not sure if it pertains to your problem.

beenthere

"DanR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vNr_g.14805$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Charles wrote:
>> I'm trying to use an appliance that connects to an RS232
>> serial port on newer PCs without serial ports by using
>> a USB->Serial adapter under Windows XP SP2.
>>
>> The (older) software which operates the appliance is
>> programmed only to connect to a serial port COM1 to COM4,
>> but on some PCs the adapter driver installs as a higher
>> port, e.g., COM5.
>>
>> If I check the advanced properties of that port with a
>> view towards changing it, I find that the lower ports
>> are all listed as "in use". However there's nothing in
>> the Device Manager under COM ports to indicate what is
>> using them.
>>
>> How can I determine what is using those ports? Would it
>> be possible to reassign whatever it is to a higher
>> numbered port so as to free up a port in the COM1-4 range?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.

> Try this free utility: ComCheck32 at bottom of this page.
> http://www.addenda-elect.com/software.htm
> Not sure if it pertains to your problem.

http://www.pcguide.com/opt/opt/resCOM-c.html
HTH.