Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Adiction

Adiction

yakis

Hi every one,
Can any one help me by advicing me of how to prevent or block some websites
(games etc.) on my web browser (Internet Explorer, Windows XP Pro SP2) from
my children who are getting adicted to playing too much online games.
TIA
yakis

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

yakis wrote:

> Hi every one,
> Can any one help me by advicing me of how to prevent or block some
> websites (games etc.) on my web browser (Internet Explorer, Windows
> XP Pro SP2) from my children who are getting adicted to playing too
> much online games.

Add the domain names of the game sites to your HOSTS file.
http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts

Of course, if they are teenagers, it will take them about six seconds to
figure out what you did. The *real* answer is: be a parent, say "No!",
turn off the computer and hand them a book.

--
-bts

Michael Mendelsohn

yakis schrieb:
> Can any one help me by advicing me of how to prevent or block some websites
> (games etc.) on my web browser (Internet Explorer, Windows XP Pro SP2) from
> my children who are getting adicted to playing too much online games.

I'd remove the internet connection cable.
Or get a separate firewall (could be an old PC with Linux installed,
could be router/firewall appliance) that you do not allow your kids
access to (put it in a locked cabinet (airflow!) etc.).

I suspect anything you do on the machine itself is not likely to last
long, but maybe with XP pro things can actually be made airtight.
Oh, and it is simple to use another webbrowser or boot from a live CD
and access the net that way; my above suggestion would block that, too.

Cheers
mendel
--
Isn't it amazing how you don't know how to do something and then you do?
-- Bubbly blonde, Overheard in New York, February 04, 2005

Michael Mendelsohn

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" schrieb:
> Of course, if they are teenagers, it will take them about six seconds to
> figure out what you did. The *real* answer is: be a parent, say "No!",
> turn off the computer and hand them a book.

Kick 'em outside.
We have arule: when teh weather's dry, computer time must be bought with
an equal portion of "outside time", on that same day.

Cheers
mendel
--
Isn't it amazing how you don't know how to do something and then you do?
-- Bubbly blonde, Overheard in New York, February 04, 2005

Geir A. Wigmostad

You can buy Kidswatch. Check out www.kidswatch.com.
I think this can solve allot of you problems.

news:45373967$0$75252$(E-Mail Removed)...