Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Spontaneous Reboot Problem. Any help?

Spontaneous Reboot Problem. Any help?

mike4ty4@yahoo.com

Hi.

I've been having this problem for a while with my main computer (I've
got 2, but my main one is a lot faster and better). It's been going on
for a few months, but as of late (last week or so ) it's gotten much
more frequent and quite annoying. The problem is that, apparently
spontaneously, the system will reboot itself without warning. Just now
as I was trying to compose a message to post here it rebooted. Shortly
after that (I'm using the 2nd, slow computer to post this), it did it
again! Totally idle! I first suspected a heat problem so I changed out
the cooler for a bigger, more powerful model. Oddly enough, the
increase in reboot frequency seemed to coincide with this but I do not
know if this is more than just mere chance. I also tried renaming the
Windows folder and then installing again so it would keep DLLs, etc.
that I might need. I tried plugging the fan into another plug cable on
the power supply to see if it's now because it seemed to be stalling
intermittently and the reboots have gotten even more frequent.

Interestingly, though, I tried running it in DOS (win98 ancient version
from a floppy) all night and it didn't reboot. Less strain on the
system?

The system is all home-built from parts.

Anyway, my system config. is this:

Chip: Intel Celeron(TM) CPU 2.70 GHz (NO OVERCLOCK)
Motherboard: Mach Speed X-Caliber P4X400DBP Socket 478
RAM: 768 MB
Hard disks: Two, one is 30 gig other is 40. Think both are Western
Digital,
Caviar. HDs seem to work OK.
Video card: XFX GeForce FX-5200
Power supply: don't remember
CPU running temp: 118 F avg
Operating system: Windows 2000 Professional

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Right now I'm suspecting
the power supply. I think it was originally for a Pentium-III level
processor (I upgraded after that one failed), so perhaps the current
chip, which is P4-level, is putting more of a drain on it? I even
suspected my home wiring -- tried plugging the system into different
outlets in my home and it's still failing. Thanks for any help.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>I've been having this problem for a while with my main computer (I've
>got 2, but my main one is a lot faster and better). It's been going on
>for a few months, but as of late (last week or so ) it's gotten much
>more frequent and quite annoying. The problem is that, apparently
>spontaneously, the system will reboot itself without warning. Just now
>as I was trying to compose a message to post here it rebooted. Shortly
>after that (I'm using the 2nd, slow computer to post this), it did it
>again! Totally idle! I first suspected a heat problem so I changed out
>the cooler for a bigger, more powerful model. Oddly enough, the
>increase in reboot frequency seemed to coincide with this but I do not
>know if this is more than just mere chance. I also tried renaming the
>Windows folder and then installing again so it would keep DLLs, etc.
>that I might need. I tried plugging the fan into another plug cable on
>the power supply to see if it's now because it seemed to be stalling
>intermittently and the reboots have gotten even more frequent.

Right Click "My Computer" - Properties - Advanced - startup and
recovery setting ; Unselect auto restart.

also

Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32.exe <enter>
under application errors will most of the time show what program your
having problems with.

--
http://jesuspan.com/

mike4ty4@yahoo.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> >I've been having this problem for a while with my main computer (I've
> >got 2, but my main one is a lot faster and better). It's been going on
> >for a few months, but as of late (last week or so ) it's gotten much
> >more frequent and quite annoying. The problem is that, apparently
> >spontaneously, the system will reboot itself without warning. Just now
> >as I was trying to compose a message to post here it rebooted. Shortly
> >after that (I'm using the 2nd, slow computer to post this), it did it
> >again! Totally idle! I first suspected a heat problem so I changed out
> >the cooler for a bigger, more powerful model. Oddly enough, the
> >increase in reboot frequency seemed to coincide with this but I do not
> >know if this is more than just mere chance. I also tried renaming the
> >Windows folder and then installing again so it would keep DLLs, etc.
> >that I might need. I tried plugging the fan into another plug cable on
> >the power supply to see if it's now because it seemed to be stalling
> >intermittently and the reboots have gotten even more frequent.

> Right Click "My Computer" - Properties - Advanced - startup and
> recovery setting ; Unselect auto restart.

I tried that on the previous install, still rebooted.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> Right Click "My Computer" - Properties - Advanced - startup and
>> recovery setting ; Unselect auto restart.
>>

>I tried that on the previous install, still rebooted.

Download and run Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
it will show your system temps, and tell you if it's a tad hot or not.

>> also
>>
>> Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32.exe <enter>
>> under application errors will most of the time show what program your
>> having problems with.

Nothing showing here? then it might not be the OS.

--
http://jesuspan.com/

mike4ty4@yahoo.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> >> Right Click "My Computer" - Properties - Advanced - startup and
> >> recovery setting ; Unselect auto restart.
> >>

> >I tried that on the previous install, still rebooted.

> Download and run Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
> it will show your system temps, and tell you if it's a tad hot or not.

Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
CPU
temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

> >> also
> >>
> >> Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32.exe <enter>
> >> under application errors will most of the time show what program your
> >> having problems with.

> Nothing showing here? then it might not be the OS.

Actually, there is something. Two errors:

ntvdm.exe 40000005 RaiseException(77E8F142)

mike4ty4@yahoo.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > >I tried that on the previous install, still rebooted.

> > Download and run Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
> > it will show your system temps, and tell you if it's a tad hot or not.
> >

> Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
> CPU
> temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

> > Nothing showing here? then it might not be the OS.
> >

> Actually, there is something. Two errors:
>
> ntvdm.exe 40000005 RaiseException(77E8F142)
> ntvdm.exe 40000005 RaiseException(77E8F142)

Just found the cause of those errors, but it seems unrelated to
the rebooting problem. They're due to me running a DOS C
compiler (DJGPP) that sometimes crashes. It's done that well
before the reboot problem started. It seems to be a compatibility
issue between it and Win2K.

> > --
> > http://jesuspan.com/

Gaius Baltar

On 18 Oct 2006 22:40:42 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
>CPU
>temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

You mean 75C, which is quite hot.

In BIOS, PC Health might be set to shutdown when temp reaches this
level. Or the temp might be causing some other malfunction. You can
see CPU and other temps in BIOS in the PC health/hardware monitor
section

Power off the system, open the case and remove the fan from the CPU
cooler (this is usually possible). Clean the heatsink find of any
accumulated dust etc.

If this doesn't turn out to be the prob, I would suspect RAM. Download
MemTest 3.2 and run it.

gb

mike4ty4@yahoo.com

Gaius Baltar wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2006 22:40:42 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
> >CPU
> >temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

> You mean 75C, which is quite hot.

No, I meant F, not C. 75 F = 24 C approx.

> In BIOS, PC Health might be set to shutdown when temp reaches this
> level. Or the temp might be causing some other malfunction. You can
> see CPU and other temps in BIOS in the PC health/hardware monitor
> section
>
> Power off the system, open the case and remove the fan from the CPU
> cooler (this is usually possible). Clean the heatsink find of any
> accumulated dust etc.

The CPU temperature, like I said, is 118 F (48 C). I got a new cooler
and
it idles at that temperature.

> If this doesn't turn out to be the prob, I would suspect RAM. Download
> MemTest 3.2 and run it.

I'll give that a try. Then again there's also the power supply, too.
That
might be going bad. What do you think?

> gb

beenthere

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

Gaius Baltar wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2006 22:40:42 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Well, I used MotherBoard Monitor (another program) once, and I get a
> >CPU
> >temp of 118 degrees F and system temp of 75 degrees F.

> You mean 75C, which is quite hot.

No, I meant F, not C. 75 F = 24 C approx.

> In BIOS, PC Health might be set to shutdown when temp reaches this
> level. Or the temp might be causing some other malfunction. You can
> see CPU and other temps in BIOS in the PC health/hardware monitor
> section
>
> Power off the system, open the case and remove the fan from the CPU
> cooler (this is usually possible). Clean the heatsink find of any
> accumulated dust etc.

The CPU temperature, like I said, is 118 F (48 C). I got a new cooler
and
it idles at that temperature.

> If this doesn't turn out to be the prob, I would suspect RAM. Download
> MemTest 3.2 and run it.

I'll give that a try. Then again there's also the power supply, too.
That
might be going bad. What do you think?

That`s true, But, testing the RAM is free, and a new PSU is
gonna cost you.
So do the RAM test first.
HTH.

Whiskers

On 2006-10-19, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've been having this problem for a while with my main computer (I've
> got 2, but my main one is a lot faster and better). It's been going on
> for a few months, but as of late (last week or so ) it's gotten much
> more frequent and quite annoying. The problem is that, apparently
> spontaneously, the system will reboot itself without warning.

snip

Make sure there are no loose or worn power connectors or cables - including
between the computer and the wall.

A faulty PS/2 mouse or keyboard can do strange things to a machine.

--
-- Whiskers