Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > usb memory stick showing wrong capacity

usb memory stick showing wrong capacity

Ron

Hi I decided to make a USB memory stick bootable by installing damn small
linux on it. It worked but I did not like using it so I wiped the USB memory
stick and formated it. However where before it showed up in windows explorer
as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity has gone from
128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its original state?
Thanks Ron

thanatoid

"Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:CaxZg.37643$(E-Mail Removed) .uk:

> Hi I decided to make a USB memory stick bootable by
> installing damn small linux on it. It worked but I did not
> like using it so I wiped the USB memory stick and formated
> it. However where before it showed up in windows explorer
> as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity
> has gone from 128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its
> original state? Thanks Ron

This is a VERY long shot and more than anything, to see what
comments others make, but I read somewhere that USB sticks are
formatted with FAT12 but CAN be reformatted with FAT 16 or even
possibly FAT32. But I doubt THAT would make such a huge size
difference. Maybe you need to reinstall the drivers and/or
reformat with an f-disk style utility (hopefully avail. from the
manufacturer or with your OS or on the web).

doS

linux has the partiton you used locked.

"Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CaxZg.37643$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Hi I decided to make a USB memory stick bootable by installing damn small
> linux on it. It worked but I did not like using it so I wiped the USB
> memory stick and formated it. However where before it showed up in windows
> explorer as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity has
> gone from 128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its original state?
> Thanks Ron

Ron

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NpyZg.48$(E-Mail Removed)...
> linux has the partiton you used locked.

So how do I unlock it?
Ron

Rich Wilson

> "Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:CaxZg.37643$(E-Mail Removed) .uk:
>
>> Hi I decided to make a USB memory stick bootable by
>> installing damn small linux on it. It worked but I did not
>> like using it so I wiped the USB memory stick and formated
>> it. However where before it showed up in windows explorer
>> as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity
>> has gone from 128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its
>> original state? Thanks Ron

[Apologies for replying to the wrong message - my news server doesn't have
the original post]

Assuming you're using Widnows XP, right-click on My Computer, select Manage,
and choose Disk Management from the list on the left (under Storage). From
there you should be able to see what partitions are on your memory stick and
add or remove them as necessary. (Right-click on a partition to see what you
can do with it).

Whiskers

On 2006-10-18, Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi I decided to make a USB memory stick bootable by installing damn small
> linux on it. It worked but I did not like using it so I wiped the USB memory
> stick and formated it. However where before it showed up in windows explorer
> as Crucial it now shows as removable media and the capacity has gone from
> 128MB to 49MB. How can I return it to its original state?
> Thanks Ron

Are there now two partitions instead of one?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Ponder

Hiya Ron.

In <newsKyZg.37724$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk> you wrote:

> So how do I unlock it?

Try XP's Disk Management Tool under Control Panel - Administrative Tools

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

blaklite blaklite is offline
Junior Member

I know this thread is 3 and a bit years old but I seem to have got myself into the same pickle. I was fiddling with an pxeboot.usb image, and managed to use winimage to re-write the fat so that my 250mb usb drive now appears as 1.5mb in Explorer.

Problem is that the disk manager shows the rest of the drive as unused space but wont let me delete the first partition, or create any others. Im just hoping f-disk will do better ?

I tried to write a partition manually with winimage but I dont know how many cylinders/fats etc etc i'm supposed to have, is there way of finding what the proper values should be?

Thanks

blaklite blaklite is offline
Junior Member

Actually I had forgotten the program to use now that fdisk is not "correct", Diskpart, yipee, saved myself from linux boot cd's and a ton of messing about.

Next time I will think before posting to the first thread I find.

stars1 stars1 is offline
Junior Member

Just Format it.