Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slow printing on HP LaserJet 4250 via USB

Slow printing on HP LaserJet 4250 via USB

bobby9ez@hotmail.com

There's a networked LaserJet 4250 in my office, shared by 8 people.
But most of the time there's no print traffic.
When I have a doc to print from my standalone laptop, and I tried to
print via USB (hook my laptop up to printer's USB input) the data
transfer is soooo slow. It took over a minute to print a 100k word doc.
When I do it using the networked desktop, it takes less than 10
seconds.

Why is that?

Thanks,

pcdoc2010

I don't seem to have any trouble with USB printing directly to a
networked printer.
I'd look more closely at what the difference is with your laptop.
Make sure you have the correct drivers and possibly re install the
printer.

I'd also check the printer to see if it has a 'sharing' issue between
USB and networked printing.

Dan

On Oct 18, 12:20 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> There's a networked LaserJet 4250 in my office, shared by 8 people.
> But most of the time there's no print traffic.
> When I have a doc to print from my standalone laptop, and I tried to
> print via USB (hook my laptop up to printer's USB input) the data
> transfer is soooo slow. It took over a minute to print a 100k word doc.
> When I do it using the networked desktop, it takes less than 10
> seconds.
>
> Why is that?
>
> Thanks,

ssimpson24 ssimpson24 is offline
Junior Member

B,

I had the same issue with slow printing when the HP 4250 was plugged via USB directly to my PC. I finally figured out the solution. If you go to the printer and right click to properties, click on Ports. It should be using the DOT4 port, but the driver for Dot4 on mine was way out of date. Fix - go to MY COMPUTER, right click to manage. Go to Device Manager. You'll see the DOT4 driver listed there. Do a scan to check for updates and it will update the driver. Printing is now normal speed. I hope this helps.