Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Sybex vs MS books

Sybex vs MS books

David K

I'm currently studying the core MCSE material.

For the most part, I'm enjoying the Sybex books. I've got a very
minimal lab set up - two similar Athlon XP systems, for simple
client-server material. I'd love to have five decent systems in a
garage to make a more realisitic network, but I have neither the money
nor the space for it.

My question is, would you recommend also getting a hold of the MS
books covering all of the exams I'm planning, or is it pretty
redundant with Sybex? I can search MS's site for certain material that
I know I'm unclear on, but that may not be the best option for certain
subjects beyond the core ones.

Dave

Guan Foo Wah

Get Windows 2000 resource kit from MsPress also. These volume of books cover
much more indepth than any of these MCSE books. Or these books are also
available from MS Technet. I use it to pass the beast!

"David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm currently studying the core MCSE material.
>
> For the most part, I'm enjoying the Sybex books. I've got a very
> minimal lab set up - two similar Athlon XP systems, for simple
> client-server material. I'd love to have five decent systems in a
> garage to make a more realisitic network, but I have neither the money
> nor the space for it.
>
> My question is, would you recommend also getting a hold of the MS
> books covering all of the exams I'm planning, or is it pretty
> redundant with Sybex? I can search MS's site for certain material that
> I know I'm unclear on, but that may not be the best option for certain
> subjects beyond the core ones.
>
> Dave

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

correct.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

"Ing. René Antón Castillo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi MCSE Cert World.
> I am studying for MS 70-215 Exam.
> I have MS Test Boson 5.13.
> I wonder if this question is wrong o right!!! for me is wrong

Dave

I think you'll find D is the correct answer. If you move a folder within
the same partition it retains it's permissions. If you move it to another
partition it inherits the permissions of it's parent folder.

Dave

"Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> correct.
>

> --
> Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
> Associate Expert
> http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
>
> "Ing. René Antón Castillo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi MCSE Cert World.
> > I am studying for MS 70-215 Exam.
> > I have MS Test Boson 5.13.
> > I wonder if this question is wrong o right!!! for me is wrong

Paul Lynch

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:03:35 -0000, "Dave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think you'll find D is the correct answer. If you move a folder within
>the same partition it retains it's permissions. If you move it to another
>partition it inherits the permissions of it's parent folder.
>
>Dave

Dave is actually correct.

By default, an object inherits permissions from its parent object,
either at the time of creation or when it is copied or moved to its
parent folder. The only exception to this rule occurs when you move an
object to a different folder on the same volume. In this case, the
original permissions are retained.

From here :

How Permissions Are Handled When You Copy and Move Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310316

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the heads up!!

I found a bug which made my answer wrong--on Server 2003 Enterprise SP1
moving a folder with special permissions applied AND do not allow
inheritable permissions checked will retain the original settings on the new
volume,but not always.

Trying to track down what is making it random now--since I primarily use
special permissions the ability to retain them would be useful.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

"Paul Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:03:35 -0000, "Dave"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I think you'll find D is the correct answer. If you move a folder within
> >the same partition it retains it's permissions. If you move it to another
> >partition it inherits the permissions of it's parent folder.
> >
> >Dave

> Dave is actually correct.
>
> By default, an object inherits permissions from its parent object,
> either at the time of creation or when it is copied or moved to its
> parent folder. The only exception to this rule occurs when you move an
> object to a different folder on the same volume. In this case, the
> original permissions are retained.
>
> From here :
>
> How Permissions Are Handled When You Copy and Move Files and Folders
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310316
>

> Regards,
>
> Paul Lynch
> MCSE

Paul Lynch

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:29:27 -0500, "Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP
\(Shell/User\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Paul,
>Thanks for the heads up!!
>
>I found a bug which made my answer wrong--on Server 2003 Enterprise SP1
>moving a folder with special permissions applied AND do not allow
>inheritable permissions checked will retain the original settings on the new
>volume,but not always.
>
>Trying to track down what is making it random now--since I primarily use
>special permissions the ability to retain them would be useful.

I wouldn't know. I'm only running the Longhorn at the moment

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

Me too, but shhhhh!!!
LOL

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

"Paul Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:29:27 -0500, "Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP
> \(Shell/User\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi Paul,
> >Thanks for the heads up!!
> >
> >I found a bug which made my answer wrong--on Server 2003 Enterprise SP1
> >moving a folder with special permissions applied AND do not allow
> >inheritable permissions checked will retain the original settings on the

new
> >volume,but not always.
> >
> >Trying to track down what is making it random now--since I primarily use
> >special permissions the ability to retain them would be useful.

> I wouldn't know. I'm only running the Longhorn at the moment
>

> Regards,
>
> Paul Lynch
> MCSE

Consultant

who isn't?

"Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Me too, but shhhhh!!!
> LOL
>
> --
> Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
> Associate Expert
> http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
>
> "Paul Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:29:27 -0500, "Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP
> > \(Shell/User\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Paul,
> > >Thanks for the heads up!!
> > >
> > >I found a bug which made my answer wrong--on Server 2003 Enterprise SP1
> > >moving a folder with special permissions applied AND do not allow
> > >inheritable permissions checked will retain the original settings on

the
> new
> > >volume,but not always.
> > >
> > >Trying to track down what is making it random now--since I primarily

use
> > >special permissions the ability to retain them would be useful.

> > I wouldn't know. I'm only running the Longhorn at the moment
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Paul Lynch
> > MCSE

myrt webb

Of the three general study books, MS, Syngress and Sybex.
Sybex is by far the worse-IMHO.

Sybex Announces The Launch of Sybex Test Success JKellum A+ Certification 0 09-04-2007 11:00 PM
Sybex and MS books for 291 Pine MCSE 1 02-13-2004 08:01 AM
Sybex "Exam Notes" Series Books Billy MCSE 8 01-05-2004 07:36 PM
270 Study Books: Sybex + Exam Cram Vs MS Press ISBN 0735614296 and Readiness Review Book? Max MCSE 1 09-22-2003 01:40 PM
MCSE 2k core training books microsoft-sybex best??? Destiny 123 :o) MCSE 1 09-20-2003 05:40 PM

Advertisments