Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Word settings in Xp Taskbar

Word settings in Xp Taskbar

tf19@hotmail.com

Have just re-installed XP and find that Word (office 97) is behaving
differently.

Before a button would appear for each Word file open, in the task bar.

Now, as with old versions, there is only one button in the task bar for
the latest file only.

Also

When I clicked Alt F4, this would close the Word file that happened to
be on the desktop, now this closes all Word.

Any clues on how to get Word back to how it was before. I was also
using XP and Word 97, so not sure why this is, but I do remember that
Windows 98 used to behave as XP does now.

Thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

> Before a button would appear for each Word file open, in the task bar.
>
> Now, as with old versions, there is only one button in the task bar
> for the latest file only.

Look through the options and settings for "single document interface"
and/or "multiple document interface". In "single" you will get a
taskbar button for each file, in "multiple" they are all within the same
outer window.

I haven't used Word in years, preferring OpenOffice.

--
-bts

tf19@hotmail.com

Thanks for the tip, but I can't find that in Word.. can you let me know
where this is..

thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Before a button would appear for each Word file open, in the task bar.
> >
> > Now, as with old versions, there is only one button in the task bar
> > for the latest file only.

> Look through the options and settings for "single document interface"
> and/or "multiple document interface". In "single" you will get a
> taskbar button for each file, in "multiple" they are all within the same
> outer window.
>
> I haven't used Word in years, preferring OpenOffice.
>
> --
> -bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Please note that I said:

>> I haven't used Word in years, preferring OpenOffice.

Try searching the help file for SDI and MDI ... or maybe some Word user
is reading here.

--
-bts

Alan

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tip, but I can't find that in Word.. can you let me know
>> where this is..

> Please note that I said:
>
>>> I haven't used Word in years, preferring OpenOffice.

> Try searching the help file for SDI and MDI ... or maybe some Word user
> is reading here.

Are you positive that you still have Office 97? this KB suggests your
behavior is for versions AFTER 97
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291313

Yo may be better off asking in microsoft.public.office.misc

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Alan wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the tip, but I can't find that in Word.. can you let me know
>>> where this is..

>> Try searching the help file for SDI and MDI ... or maybe some Word user
>> is reading here.

> Are you positive that you still have Office 97? this KB suggests your
> behavior is for versions AFTER 97
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291313

No, I said I don't *have* Word - or Office NN - I said I use OpenOffice.

> Yo may be better off asking in microsoft.public.office.misc

I have no problem.

--
-bts

tf19@hotmail.com

Its certainly office 97, never had this problem before as its always
worked fine in XP.

thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Its certainly office 97, never had this problem before as its always
> worked fine in XP.

There is a Windows XP setting somewhere to "combine like programs or
files" into one button on the Taskbar. Perhaps since you reinstalled the
OS, the chosen setting was changed.

Since I don't use XP either, you'll have to find it. But I would start
by right-clicking on the taskbar, choosing Properties, and browse
through the settings there.

--
-bts

tf19@hotmail.com

Thanks for the info.. but that isn't the issue..

I can't get Word to display seperate Word files in Alt Tab either... I
know the option you're talking about