Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > replace toshiba A15 s1292 hard disk

replace toshiba A15 s1292 hard disk

ramachandran.balu@gmail.com

I have a Toshiba A15 S1292 laptop. Its hard disk is 30 GB and model
MK3021GAS. I would like to replace the 30GB hard disk with new 60 GB
hard disk, as the 30GB hard disk crashed.

I am planning to go for Toshiba hard drive model MK6021GAS( 60GB). I am
not sure whether this hard drive is compatible for A15 s1292 laptop. I
am not able to find any document or web site where the compatibility
details are given. I am not able to find that info on
"www.toshiba.com".

Help needed.

Balu

Thanks Gordon.
Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
S1292. How can I find that out?

Gordon wrote:

> > I have a Toshiba A15 S1292 laptop. Its hard disk is 30 GB and model
> > MK3021GAS. I would like to replace the 30GB hard disk with new 60 GB
> > hard disk, as the 30GB hard disk crashed.
> >
> > I am planning to go for Toshiba hard drive model MK6021GAS( 60GB).

> Remove the existing HDD and see if it's a standard 2.5" drive. If so then do
> NOT pay the huge exorbitant rip-off prices of Toshiba (unless the machine
> is still in warranty). You can buy generic 2.5" drives at about a quarter
> of the cost of the Toshiba ones. Example - I have a Tecra 9000 that came
> with a 10GB drive. I enquired about the Toshiba replacement 30GB drive -
> 270 approx (it was a while ago) where a generic Hitachi drive was
> 65!!!!!! Fitting was a matter of four VERY small screws......
>
> HTH

Gordon

Balu wrote:

> Thanks Gordon.
> Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
> S1292. How can I find that out?

As long as the drive fits, it's compatible AFAIK.......

The Addison's

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Balu wrote:
>
>> Thanks Gordon.
>> Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
>> S1292. How can I find that out?
>>

> As long as the drive fits, it's compatible AFAIK.......

The size HD, in GB, the laptop will support depends upon the BIOS and OS.

HTH,
Hawkeye65

Gordon

The Addison's wrote:

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Balu wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Gordon.
>>> Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
>>> S1292. How can I find that out?
>>>

>> As long as the drive fits, it's compatible AFAIK.......

> The size HD, in GB, the laptop will support depends upon the BIOS and OS.

It would have to be a VERY VERY old laptop not to support a large
HDD......and looking at the product, it should be perfectly OK.....

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
to email me invalidate the invalid!

Barry Watzman

There is almost no way to be absolutely sure other than to try it, but
I'm pretty sure that the A15 is new enough that it has no size limits
below [at least] 137GB. I've had 40 gig drives in a 2805, and that is
YEARS older than an A15.

This is, however, a good time to update the BIOS to the latest available.

Balu wrote:

> Thanks Gordon.
> Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
> S1292. How can I find that out?
>
> Gordon wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Toshiba A15 S1292 laptop. Its hard disk is 30 GB and model
>>>MK3021GAS. I would like to replace the 30GB hard disk with new 60 GB
>>>hard disk, as the 30GB hard disk crashed.
>>>
>>>I am planning to go for Toshiba hard drive model MK6021GAS( 60GB).

>>Remove the existing HDD and see if it's a standard 2.5" drive. If so then do
>>NOT pay the huge exorbitant rip-off prices of Toshiba (unless the machine
>>is still in warranty). You can buy generic 2.5" drives at about a quarter
>>of the cost of the Toshiba ones. Example - I have a Tecra 9000 that came
>>with a 10GB drive. I enquired about the Toshiba replacement 30GB drive -
>>270 approx (it was a while ago) where a generic Hitachi drive was
>>65!!!!!! Fitting was a matter of four VERY small screws......
>>
>>HTH

Balu

I was comparing the 60GB disk specifications and 30 GB one. There is
one difference with respect to "Data Storage Physical" key feature. It
shows for
60GB -- Number of disks= 2 and Data heads =4 and for
30GB -- Number of disks= 1 and Data heads =2 .

Does the number of disks or data heads have any significance on
upgrading the disk from 30GB to 60GB?

Barry Watzman wrote:
> There is almost no way to be absolutely sure other than to try it, but
> I'm pretty sure that the A15 is new enough that it has no size limits
> below [at least] 137GB. I've had 40 gig drives in a 2805, and that is
> YEARS older than an A15.
>
> This is, however, a good time to update the BIOS to the latest available.
>

> Balu wrote:
>
> > Thanks Gordon.
> > Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
> > S1292. How can I find that out?
> >
> > Gordon wrote:

> >>Remove the existing HDD and see if it's a standard 2.5" drive. If so then do
> >>NOT pay the huge exorbitant rip-off prices of Toshiba (unless the machine
> >>is still in warranty). You can buy generic 2.5" drives at about a quarter
> >>of the cost of the Toshiba ones. Example - I have a Tecra 9000 that came
> >>with a 10GB drive. I enquired about the Toshiba replacement 30GB drive -
> >>270 approx (it was a while ago) where a generic Hitachi drive was
> >>65!!!!!! Fitting was a matter of four VERY small screws......
> >>
> >>HTH

Barry Watzman

No

But if you are buying a new drive, just forget what you have and look
for a 5400rpm drive. The only things you need to worry about are
interface (IDE, I am pretty sure) and make sure that the new drive will
fit (thickness).

Balu wrote:

> I was comparing the 60GB disk specifications and 30 GB one. There is
> one difference with respect to "Data Storage Physical" key feature. It
> shows for
> 60GB -- Number of disks= 2 and Data heads =4 and for
> 30GB -- Number of disks= 1 and Data heads =2 .
>
> Does the number of disks or data heads have any significance on
> upgrading the disk from 30GB to 60GB?
>

> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
>>There is almost no way to be absolutely sure other than to try it, but
>>I'm pretty sure that the A15 is new enough that it has no size limits
>>below [at least] 137GB. I've had 40 gig drives in a 2805, and that is
>>YEARS older than an A15.
>>
>>This is, however, a good time to update the BIOS to the latest available.
>>

>>Balu wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks Gordon.
>>>Also I want to know whether 60GB is compatible with this laptop A15
>>>S1292. How can I find that out?

Meat Plow

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:02:20 -0400, Barry Watzman Has Frothed:

> No
>
> But if you are buying a new drive, just forget what you have and look for
> a 5400rpm drive. The only things you need to worry about are interface
> (IDE, I am pretty sure) and make sure that the new drive will fit
> (thickness).

Seagate Momentus 100 gig @5400rpm. I have two of them, one with linux on
it and one with XP.

COOSN-266-06-25794