Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > wireless network - intel centrino?

wireless network - intel centrino?

Den

Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless
router for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my
laptop. I was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with
wi-fi with something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see
anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
anyone tell me how I will access this?

Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.

Kenny

Look in Device Manager (Winkey+Pause/Break) under Network Adapters, it
should show there.
Also in Control Panel you should have Wireless Network Setup Wizard.
Intel Centrino is the type of CPU, nothing to do with wireless adapter.

--
Kenny Cargill

"Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless
> router for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my
> laptop. I was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with
> wi-fi with something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see
> anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
> anyone tell me how I will access this?
>
> Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:10:33 +0100, Kenny Has Frothed:

> Look in Device Manager (Winkey+Pause/Break) under Network Adapters, it
> should show there.
> Also in Control Panel you should have Wireless Network Setup Wizard. Intel
> Centrino is the type of CPU, nothing to do with wireless adapter.

Centrino is the CPU, Chipset and Wireless platform not just the CPU which
is usually a Moblie -M processor.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Meat Plow

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 05:35:15 -0700, Den Has Frothed:

> Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless router
> for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my laptop. I
> was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with wi-fi with
> something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see anything in control
> panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can anyone tell me how I will
> access this?
>
> Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.

Look around for Wireless Configuration. You'll need to enter the SSID of
your wap.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Fred

"Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless
> router for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my
> laptop. I was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with
> wi-fi with something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see
> anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
> anyone tell me how I will access this?

For starters do you have the laptop wireless turned on?
With my lappy a combination of key presses (Fn - F2) toggles wireless.
With other units it can be a switch on the case.
If all else fails RTFM.

Whiskers

On 2006-10-17, Den <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless
> router for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my
> laptop. I was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with
> wi-fi with something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see
> anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
> anyone tell me how I will access this?
>
> Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.

I think the word "Centrino" is just something invented by Intel to
advertise the hardware they make with laptops in mind.

Have you tried to find anything in your operating system, to do with
'networking' or 'wireless'? The first thing to do is find out if your
computer's 'wireless' hardware has been recognised by the operating system
and has a suitable 'driver' installed and configured.

You should also check that the computer's 'ethernet' network interface is
set up and working; you'll probably need this for making a wired connection
to the router for the initial set-up - the router may have its wireless
system disabled by default, so that you can make all the settings needed
before activating the wireless connection. This is a good security
arrangement, as you don't want to give all your neighbours and passers-by
free internet access at your expense (at least, not accidentally, you
don't!).

What do the instructions for the router say about setting it up? (They
usually have step-by-step instructions for using Windows to do this, which
are easily interpreted for other OSs if you're familiar with them).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Barry OGrady

On 17 Oct 2006 05:35:15 -0700, "Den" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just got a wireless
>router for the internet, and I am trying to connect wirelessly to my
>laptop. I was told when I bought the laptop that it was enabled with
>wi-fi with something called intel centrino? I cannot seem to see
>anything in control panel (Win XP) that indicates this facility. Can
>anyone tell me how I will access this?
>
>Apologies for my ignorance, Thanks in advance - Den.

Centrino is an Intel trade name that refers to the chipset used.
Intel require wireless to be included if the Centrino name is used.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og