Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: uploading pictures

Re: uploading pictures

Jim

Photography-Forum is the name of the site and I appear to be the only member
having this problem.
I have just checked through all the settings as recommended by Microsoft for
"multiple windows opening" and all my settings are correct.
However when I tried again to upload a picture it went through no problem
and now appears on the site.
I have tried several more times and when I click on upload I get the message
"This page cannot be displayed" so I am back to square one. I was originally
getting this message before it started opening the multiple windows.
Jim

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have just joined a photography forum where you can upload pictures for
>>all the members to see and pass comments on.
>> I entered one picture without any problem. On trying to enter more
>> pictures and clicking on the upload button, the computer goes haywire and
>> starts opening window after window in rapid succession and I can't stop
>> it. The screen becomes full of open windows all piled on top of each
>> other. 62 windows in all and it finally stops with the computer frozen.
>> This happens every time I attempt to upload.
>> AVG says no virus detected
>> Spybot gives clean bill of health
>> Adaware detects nothing at all wrong.
>> Tried restoring to a date before I joined the forum but still the same.
>> Haven't installed any new software.
>> Tried allowing popups.
>> I don't appear to have any other problems anywhere on my computer.
>> I run Windows XP home edition with stacks of free memory

> So if it doesn't happen anywhere other then the UNNAMED site to where you
> tried to upload pictures then tell the owner of that site that they are
> running scripts that are screwed up. You also need a decent popup
> manager. Obviously they are running a script to open more browser windows
> and YOU are allowing them to do so. You are letting them run scripts that
> open new browser windows and their script is screwed up. Maybe they get
> some error because they want your browser's settings to be far more loose
> (i.e., less secure) and they don't provide graceful recovery for the
> error. You chose not to reveal just what is this site where you are
> having problems so no one can be specific as to what is the problem that
> also may use that site.

Vanguard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Photography-Forum is the name of the site and I appear to be the
> only member having this problem.

Photography-Forum.com (64.74.96.243)
Photography-Forum.net (72.32.79.195)
Photography-Forum.org (81.19.63.110)
There might be more but I didn't bother to check beyond the big TLDs
(top-level domains). Still no real identification.

> I have tried several more times and when I click on upload I get the
> message "This page cannot be displayed" so I am back to square one.

Some things to try:
- Flush the browser's temp file cache.
- Set IE to automatically check for new pages on every visit.
- Flush all cookies.
- Reboot into Windows Safe mode to see if the problem continues.
- Use BHODemon or another utility to see what BHOs (browser helper
objects) you might have installed that will affect IE's behavior.
- Put the domain into the Trusted Sites security zone. That means you
let them run ANYTHING. If it works there, they are doing something
screwy with their script, like no graceful recovery, that won't work
under whatever settings you have for the Internet security zone (which
you could try to reset to the default level, too).

Jim

Thanks Vanguard for the suggestions.
The site is www.photography-forum.org
A new site and very interesting if you are into photography.
I have tried out some of your suggestions.
I have now uploaded some pics this afternoon but found I had to reduce the
size to less than half the permitted size of the forum.
Maybe this is the answer. At the moment it is working so once again thank
you.
Regards.

uploading pictures beethovenofear HTML 4 04-23-2006 11:50 AM
Need help uploading pictures... henree21@yahoo.com Digital Photography 1 03-07-2006 08:42 PM
ftp uploading vs. control panel uploading Dung Ping HTML 10 01-16-2006 10:43 AM
Card readers freeze computer when uploading pictures through usb 2.0 hasenhaxe Digital Photography 1 07-27-2005 12:38 AM
Uploading pictures to computers without installing drivers or other software GM Digital Photography 10 10-16-2003 03:52 AM

Advertisments