Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Deleting XP partition

Deleting XP partition

ian field

Having run out of space on the master HD I added a slave which I temporarily
replaced the original master, to avoid any risk to the files on the original
master while I formatted the partition on the new drive.

The problem is, the XP install CD proceeded to start installing Windows on
what was to be the new slave before I could stop it! What I would now like
to do is use the Format command in the "My Computer" pulldown, but it
refuses to do this - anyone know how to circumvent this!

TIA.

philo

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8OvYg.23781$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having run out of space on the master HD I added a slave which I

temporarily
> replaced the original master, to avoid any risk to the files on the

original
> master while I formatted the partition on the new drive.
>
> The problem is, the XP install CD proceeded to start installing Windows on
> what was to be the new slave before I could stop it! What I would now like
> to do is use the Format command in the "My Computer" pulldown, but it
> refuses to do this - anyone know how to circumvent this!
>
> TIA.

use disk management

ian field

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8OvYg.23781$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Having run out of space on the master HD I added a slave which I

> temporarily
>> replaced the original master, to avoid any risk to the files on the

> original
>> master while I formatted the partition on the new drive.
>>
>> The problem is, the XP install CD proceeded to start installing Windows
>> on
>> what was to be the new slave before I could stop it! What I would now
>> like
>> to do is use the Format command in the "My Computer" pulldown, but it
>> refuses to do this - anyone know how to circumvent this!
>>
>> TIA.
>>

> use disk management

Do I want to convert from a MBR disk to a GPT disk ?

philo

> > use disk management
> >

> Do I want to convert from a MBR disk to a GPT disk ?

I'd just leave it as MBR,
format it as NTFS and then assign it a drive letter and you should be all
set to go

ian field

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>> > use disk management
>> >

>> Do I want to convert from a MBR disk to a GPT disk ?
>>

> I'd just leave it as MBR,
> format it as NTFS and then assign it a drive letter and you should be all
> set to go

Thanks - the actual disk management tree is way less confusing than the
bloody awful help system (once I found it that is!).

philo

> > I'd just leave it as MBR,
> > format it as NTFS and then assign it a drive letter and you should be

all
> > set to go
> >

> Thanks - the actual disk management tree is way less confusing than the
> bloody awful help system (once I found it that is!).

yep..
it's well hidden but now you know where it is!

Jimmy Dean

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:16:20 GMT, "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Having run out of space on the master HD I added a slave which I temporarily
>replaced the original master, to avoid any risk to the files on the original
>master while I formatted the partition on the new drive.
>
>The problem is, the XP install CD proceeded to start installing Windows on
>what was to be the new slave before I could stop it! What I would now like
>to do is use the Format command in the "My Computer" pulldown, but it
>refuses to do this - anyone know how to circumvent this!
>
>TIA.

Vague post, but you should format the slave from DOS (WIN98 boot disk)
with master disconnected. Then reconnect master, boot to XP and you
cna probably do what you want.

jd

philo

> >TIA.

> Vague post, but you should format the slave from DOS (WIN98 boot disk)
> with master disconnected. Then reconnect master, boot to XP and you
> cna probably do what you want.
>
> jd

NO...
not good .
win98 can only format the drive as fat32

ian field

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>> >TIA.

>> Vague post, but you should format the slave from DOS (WIN98 boot disk)
>> with master disconnected. Then reconnect master, boot to XP and you
>> cna probably do what you want.
>>
>> jd

> NO...
> not good .
> win98 can only format the drive as fat32

..........otherwise I would have done it like that!