Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How often should you change passwords?

Reply
Thread Tools

How often should you change passwords?

 
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
How often should you change passwords for financial accounts?

Is it wise to use the same one for accounts with different companies?
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~
Americans killed in Iraq as of October 07, 2006 is 2744. United Kingdom = 119 Other = 118.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mara
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:53:51 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How often should you change passwords for financial accounts?


For financial accounts you're accessing online? Every 30 days, more often if the
password isn't complex.

>Is it wise to use the same one for accounts with different companies?


NO.

--
If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.
-- Bruce Schneider
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:12:33 -0500, Mara
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:53:51 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>How often should you change passwords for financial accounts?

>
>For financial accounts you're accessing online? Every 30 days, more often if the
>password isn't complex.


It is, which is why I have used the same one for most (but not all) of
our accounts.

>
>>Is it wise to use the same one for accounts with different companies?

>
>NO.


How, then, do you keep track of them all?

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~
Americans killed in Iraq as of October 07, 2006 is 2744. United Kingdom = 119 Other = 118.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:11:37 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How, then, do you keep track of them all?


A spreadsheet, or a program such as Any Password:

http://www.romanlab.com/apw/

 
Reply With Quote
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:13:51 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:11:37 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>How, then, do you keep track of them all?

>
>A spreadsheet, or a program such as Any Password:
>
>http://www.romanlab.com/apw/


Ok.

How can I be sure that it is a totally secure program and is not
accessible to someone where the program came from?

Couldn't I do basically the same thing on a piece of paper rather than
the computer and keep at least a couple of copies in places I feel are
secure here at home?
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~
Americans killed in Iraq as of October 07, 2006 is 2744. United Kingdom = 119 Other = 118.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:03:00 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How can I be sure that it is a totally secure program and is not
>accessible to someone where the program came from?


Any decent firewall app will tell you when a program attempts to
access the internet. APW has never caused this trigger on my
computers.

>Couldn't I do basically the same thing on a piece of paper rather than
>the computer and keep at least a couple of copies in places I feel are
>secure here at home?


Sure.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mara
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:11:37 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:12:33 -0500, Mara
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:53:51 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>How often should you change passwords for financial accounts?

>>
>>For financial accounts you're accessing online? Every 30 days, more often if the
>>password isn't complex.

>
>It is, which is why I have used the same one for most (but not all) of
>our accounts.


If someone cracks the one, they get the rest. If they can get into your machine,
they might be able to find those sites. I wouldn't use the same password for
every site even if they were complex. I consider it just too dangerous. But
then, it's my job.

>>
>>>Is it wise to use the same one for accounts with different companies?

>>
>>NO.

>
>How, then, do you keep track of them all?


Take a regular password you'd remember. Think of a longish phrase you *know*
you'll remember, then take the first letters of every word in the phrase, and
stick them in the middle of the password together. As long as it's not 14
characters long, you're good to go. I say 14 characters because of this:

http://geodsoft.com/howto/password/n...ord_hashes.htm

even though my NT days are long over (I still run 2k though.) I don't take
chances.

I also have the option, for little-used sites, of writing mine down if I wish
because I'm the only one who ever has access to my machines at home and I have
plenty of safe hiding places for the paper. I don't, though, because the above
method works like a champ for me. I do not *ever* save passwords to my machines
on my systems.

At work, no one is allowed to write down any password for any machine or
program. Period. It's cause for termination, and rightfully so.

You *could* dump your passwords into a file and the encrypt them which would
work well until you forgot your encryption password, or forgot how to retrieve
them totally. I've seen it happen.

--
Far be it for me to introduce facts and reason to the willfully blind
and ignorant. I leave thee to thy bliss. --LA, nanae
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
How often should a repeated word be a link? David Segall HTML 9 05-01-2010 01:53 AM
How often should you replace hard drives? Ian Front Page News 0 11-02-2007 11:41 AM
How often do you rebuild your Hard Drive? Bill Computer Information 32 08-12-2004 06:08 PM
Show 4 Records that occur more often...and how often they occur. Miguel Dias Moura ASP .Net 4 05-06-2004 03:40 PM



Advertisments