Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD-ROM drive does not show in Win 98 Explorer; "working properly" in Device Manager

CD-ROM drive does not show in Win 98 Explorer; "working properly" in Device Manager

L Mehl

Hello --

Info: IBM 390E laptop

Can anyone tell me how to make the CD drive appear in Windows Explorer?

Before experiencing this problem, clicking the drive resulted in
"E:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready.

I removed it from the Device Manager; upon reboot it "found a new device",
but this problem remains.

Might the drive simply need cleaning?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl

Larry Mehl

Thanks Ben.

Larry

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g3PWg.12251$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
Start the computer in Safe mode by tapping the F8 key repeatedly
during bootup, then go to Device Manager and remove all the CD
drivers. Then restart normally. If you are prompted for your
Windows 98 CD, click "Details", make a note of the file being
sought and extract it to a floppy on another computer.

Ben

news:(E-Mail Removed)...