Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Blue Screen of Death

Blue Screen of Death

JoeMo

Hello all,

I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried to
install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
after that). The only way for me to do anything was to reboot in safe
mode and uninstall ZA. I discovered later that ZA doesn't reccommend
this, so I followed their instructions to remove all files properly,
uninstalled it and re-installed it properly two times after that just
to be sure. But now, I get the BSoD whenever I try to use certain
windows functions (Add/Remove programs, creating a new folder by right
clicking on the desktop, using the All Programs tab from the start
menu). Also, my girlfriend's profile is completely unusable. Everytime
we try to open her profile we get the BSoD as soon as it starts up. I
tried re-installing windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I've also
run microsoft's memory diagnostic to make sure there's no physical
problem with my memory. I haven't changed any hardware, and the only
new software I installed was this frickin ZA update. I'm at my wit's
end about this problem, and feel like just throwing the whole computer
out the window. Nothing I do can get rid of this crap. Can anyone help
me? I'm running Windows XP SP2, Celeron 3.06G CPU, Intel chipset
motherboard, and 1G of memory. Thanks.

Joe

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

On 8 Oct 2006 08:21:27 -0700, "JoeMo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
>since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried to
>install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
>computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
>time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
>after that).

That's an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and almost always a hardware
problem. Run a memory test to start with.

http://www.easynn.com

JoeMo

> On 8 Oct 2006 08:21:27 -0700, "JoeMo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
> >since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried to
> >install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
> >computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
> >time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
> >after that).

> That's an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and almost always a hardware
> problem. Run a memory test to start with.
>
> --
> Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software
>
> EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.
> http://www.easynn.com

I did run Windows Memory Diagnostic, first the regular set of tests,
then the more thorough set, and it said there were no errors with
either. Is this diagnostic a good one to use? Should I try a different
test, or should any major issues with my memory be found with this
diagnostic? Thanks.

Joe

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

On 8 Oct 2006 09:01:38 -0700, "JoeMo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I did run Windows Memory Diagnostic, first the regular set of tests,
>then the more thorough set, and it said there were no errors with
>either. Is this diagnostic a good one to use? Should I try a different
>test, or should any major issues with my memory be found with this
>diagnostic? Thanks.

Memory tests are the easiest first thing to try. You could try some
processor tests next. Stabilitytest is quite good. I can send you a
copy by email if you want but not to your gmail address.

http://www.easynn.com

///Owen\\\\\\

JoeMo wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
> since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried
> to install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
> computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
> time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
> after that). The only way for me to do anything was to reboot in safe
> mode and uninstall ZA. I discovered later that ZA doesn't reccommend
> this, so I followed their instructions to remove all files properly,
> uninstalled it and re-installed it properly two times after that just
> to be sure. But now, I get the BSoD whenever I try to use certain
> windows functions (Add/Remove programs, creating a new folder by right
> clicking on the desktop, using the All Programs tab from the start
> menu). Also, my girlfriend's profile is completely unusable. Everytime
> we try to open her profile we get the BSoD as soon as it starts up. I
> tried re-installing windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I've
> also run microsoft's memory diagnostic to make sure there's no
> physical problem with my memory. I haven't changed any hardware, and
> the only new software I installed was this frickin ZA update. I'm at
> my wit's end about this problem, and feel like just throwing the
> whole computer out the window. Nothing I do can get rid of this crap.
> Can anyone help me? I'm running Windows XP SP2, Celeron 3.06G CPU,
> Intel chipset motherboard, and 1G of memory. Thanks.
>
> Joe

I had this problem last weekend. I too thought it was a memory problem or
a hardware problem. But I discovered that I had viruses. I used "safe
mode" and ran F-Secure (My ISP provides this). I also used AVG. I found I
had a LOT of bad stuff. Somehow I had removed enough of my anti-virus
software for it not to work, but I'd left enough for Windows Security Centre
to think I was protected. Not sure how I did this or how long it had been
running like that.

After the dust was settled, I had no sound.... had to run "services.msc" to
get it.

Good luck

John

Tester

I once had a program that fixed the BSOD 100%!

Unfortunately, all it accomplished was to change the color.

JoeMo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2006 09:01:38 -0700, "JoeMo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I did run Windows Memory Diagnostic, first the regular set of tests,
> >then the more thorough set, and it said there were no errors with
> >either. Is this diagnostic a good one to use? Should I try a different
> >test, or should any major issues with my memory be found with this
> >diagnostic? Thanks.
> >

> Memory tests are the easiest first thing to try. You could try some
> processor tests next. Stabilitytest is quite good. I can send you a
> copy by email if you want but not to your gmail address.
>
> --
> Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software
>
> EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.
> http://www.easynn.com

No need. I downloaded it and ran it for about an hour or so with no
errors. Should I create a security certificate (run it for 24 hours) to
be sure?

JoeMo

///Owen\\\ wrote:
> JoeMo wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
> > since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried
> > to install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
> > computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
> > time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
> > after that). The only way for me to do anything was to reboot in safe
> > mode and uninstall ZA. I discovered later that ZA doesn't reccommend
> > this, so I followed their instructions to remove all files properly,
> > uninstalled it and re-installed it properly two times after that just
> > to be sure. But now, I get the BSoD whenever I try to use certain
> > windows functions (Add/Remove programs, creating a new folder by right
> > clicking on the desktop, using the All Programs tab from the start
> > menu). Also, my girlfriend's profile is completely unusable. Everytime
> > we try to open her profile we get the BSoD as soon as it starts up. I
> > tried re-installing windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I've
> > also run microsoft's memory diagnostic to make sure there's no
> > physical problem with my memory. I haven't changed any hardware, and
> > the only new software I installed was this frickin ZA update. I'm at
> > my wit's end about this problem, and feel like just throwing the
> > whole computer out the window. Nothing I do can get rid of this crap.
> > Can anyone help me? I'm running Windows XP SP2, Celeron 3.06G CPU,
> > Intel chipset motherboard, and 1G of memory. Thanks.
> >
> > Joe

> I had this problem last weekend. I too thought it was a memory problem or
> a hardware problem. But I discovered that I had viruses. I used "safe
> mode" and ran F-Secure (My ISP provides this). I also used AVG. I found I
> had a LOT of bad stuff. Somehow I had removed enough of my anti-virus
> software for it not to work, but I'd left enough for Windows Security Centre
> to think I was protected. Not sure how I did this or how long it had been
> running like that.
>
> After the dust was settled, I had no sound.... had to run "services.msc" to
> get it.
>
> Good luck
>
> John

Thanks for the advice. I've run memory and CPU tests with no errors,
hoping to rule out hardware issues first. I think I'll have to devote a
day soon to do thorough "safe mode" virus/spyware scans. See if I've
got the same problem you had.

Ron Martell

"JoeMo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have a major problem on my computer... I've been running ZoneAlarm
>since I bought this computer with no problems. But recently, I tried to
>install the new update (6.5.737.0) and it asked me to reboot my
>computer. So I did, but after that I got a Blue Screen of Death every
>time I booted up the computer (error message 0x0000007f, and all zeros
>after that). The only way for me to do anything was to reboot in safe
>mode and uninstall ZA. I discovered later that ZA doesn't reccommend
>this, so I followed their instructions to remove all files properly,
>uninstalled it and re-installed it properly two times after that just
>to be sure. But now, I get the BSoD whenever I try to use certain
>windows functions (Add/Remove programs, creating a new folder by right
>clicking on the desktop, using the All Programs tab from the start
>menu). Also, my girlfriend's profile is completely unusable. Everytime
>we try to open her profile we get the BSoD as soon as it starts up. I
>tried re-installing windows, but that didn't fix the problem. I've also
>run microsoft's memory diagnostic to make sure there's no physical
>problem with my memory. I haven't changed any hardware, and the only
>new software I installed was this frickin ZA update. I'm at my wit's
>end about this problem, and feel like just throwing the whole computer
>out the window. Nothing I do can get rid of this crap. Can anyone help
>me? I'm running Windows XP SP2, Celeron 3.06G CPU, Intel chipset
>motherboard, and 1G of memory. Thanks.
>
>Joe

As Steve Wolstenholme said, your error code is named
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Technical information about this error from MSDN:

"This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the
kernel failed to catch this trap.

This could be either a bound trap (a trap the kernel is not permitted
to catch) or a double fault (a fault that occurred while processing an
earlier fault, which always results in a system crash).

The first parameter displayed on the blue screen specifies the trap
number.

Here are some of the most common trap codes:

0x00000000, or Divide by Zero Error, is caused when a DIV instruction
is executed and the divisor is zero. Memory corruption, other hardware
problems, or software failures can cause this error. "

As you said that all 4 of the parameters following the STOP code were
all zeroes then this is the situation you are encountering.

I would suspect Zone Alarm. Try uninstalling Zone Alarm completely
and relying, at least temporarily, on the Windows built-in firewall.
It will suffice to keep your system free from intruders although it
won't notify you of anything that gets onto your machine and then
tries to "phone home". If the error problems go away after
uninstalling ZA then you have indentified the culprit.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

On 8 Oct 2006 18:02:29 -0700, "JoeMo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No need. I downloaded it and ran it for about an hour or so with no
>errors. Should I create a security certificate (run it for 24 hours) to
>be sure?

It's just a good test you don't need a certificate. You could leave it
running for a day or so.

Steve

http://www.easynn.com