Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > PDF not opening in Firefox

PDF not opening in Firefox

norm

The PDF
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...GUserGuide.pdf

Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
in google searches are fine.

Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.

Anyone tell me why?
Thanks
Norm

Leonidas Jones

norm wrote:
> The PDF
> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...GUserGuide.pdf
>
> Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
> in google searches are fine.
>
> Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
>
> Anyone tell me why?
> Thanks
> Norm

Server problem. Go to the page, right click and choose View Page Info.
In the resulting window, see the following:

Type: text/plain

Since the server is telling Firefox that the file is a plain text file,
Firefox attempts to display it as such. Contact the administrator for
the web site and tell him of the problem. The workaround, as you have
discovered, is to download the file and view it locally.

Lee

norm

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:20:44 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>norm wrote:
>> The PDF
>> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...GUserGuide.pdf
>>
>> Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
>> in google searches are fine.
>>
>> Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
>>
>> Anyone tell me why?
>> Thanks
>> Norm

>Server problem. Go to the page, right click and choose View Page Info.
>In the resulting window, see the following:
>
>Type: text/plain
>
>Since the server is telling Firefox that the file is a plain text file,
>Firefox attempts to display it as such. Contact the administrator for
>the web site and tell him of the problem. The workaround, as you have
>discovered, is to download the file and view it locally.
>
>Lee

Thanks for reply, yep Type: text/plain.

John Thompson

On 2007-03-06, norm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The PDF
> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...GUserGuide.pdf
>
> Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
> in google searches are fine.
>
> Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
>
> Anyone tell me why?

The mime type set by the server is incorrect. The server is telling
Firefox that the file is a plain text file, so that's the way FireFox
treats it. The server says it is a text/plain file, but it should be
application/pdf for FireFox to know to feed it Acrobat Reader.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Leonidas Jones

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2007-03-06, norm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The PDF
>> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...GUserGuide.pdf
>>
>> Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
>> in google searches are fine.
>>
>> Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
>>
>> Anyone tell me why?

> The mime type set by the server is incorrect. The server is telling
> Firefox that the file is a plain text file, so that's the way FireFox
> treats it. The server says it is a text/plain file, but it should be
> application/pdf for FireFox to know to feed it Acrobat Reader.

Hi John,

Didn't I say that about 9 hours ago?

Lee

me@my.com

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:15:08 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (norm) wrote:

>The PDF
>http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...GUserGuide.pdf
>
>Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
>in google searches are fine.
>
>Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
>
>Anyone tell me why?
>Thanks
>Norm

PDF means PRETTY DAMN ****ED

They never work as intended. But do yourself a favor.
Remove Adobe Reader and install Foxit Reader.
Then set FF and any other browser to DOWNLOAD .PDF files rather than
view them online.

I wish they were not used as much as they are on websites. I hate em.

On Mar 7, 12:55 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:15:08 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (norm) wrote:
> >The PDF
> >http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica.../SLxGUserGuide...

> >Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
> >in google searches are fine.

> >Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.

> >Anyone tell me why?
> >Thanks
> >Norm

> PDF means PRETTY DAMN ****ED
>
> They never work as intended. But do yourself a favor.
> Remove Adobe Reader and install Foxit Reader.
> Then set FF and any other browser to DOWNLOAD .PDF files rather than
> view them online.
>
> I wish they were not used as much as they are on websites. I hate em.

another option is to see if google can find the file. If so, then it
might offer the option to view the file in html. For instance:
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=ga...s=&safe=images