Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: CMOSS battery questions .... fact or fiction?

Re: CMOSS battery questions .... fact or fiction?

Frosty

I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Sat, 07 Oct
2006 08:32:59 -0400, and Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> vomited
forth this bit of wisdom :

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:17:51 -0700, David_nj_7 Has Frothed:
>
>> I have had one of my computers up and running since 1999 with no problems
>> whatsoever. My clock keeps accurate time etc... The PC is a DELL
>> Dimension PIII 500Mhz.....
>>
>> I remember reading somewhere that you need to replace the CMOSS battery
>> every 3 to 5 years or else you'll have all kinds of isues. Well, I
>> haven't replaced mine in the over 7 years I've had mine.
>>
>> Is this CMOSS thing just a myth? Or, are some like the Energizer Bunny
>> and just keep going and going.... lol
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>I'd say you're about due. 7 years is right on the edge of the advertised
>battery life for one of those 2032's or whatever their putting inside.

And just for G&G, the first two numbers on those 3volt batteries are
the width in mm's and the second numbers are the height (mm)

mdp

Frosty wrote:
> I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Sat, 07 Oct
> 2006 08:32:59 -0400, and Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> vomited
> forth this bit of wisdom :
>
>> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:17:51 -0700, David_nj_7 Has Frothed:
>>
>>> I have had one of my computers up and running since 1999 with no
>>> problems whatsoever. My clock keeps accurate time etc... The PC
>>> is a DELL Dimension PIII 500Mhz.....
>>>
>>> I remember reading somewhere that you need to replace the CMOSS
>>> battery every 3 to 5 years or else you'll have all kinds of isues.
>>> Well, I haven't replaced mine in the over 7 years I've had mine.
>>>
>>> Is this CMOSS thing just a myth? Or, are some like the Energizer
>>> Bunny and just keep going and going.... lol
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>

>> I'd say you're about due. 7 years is right on the edge of the
>> advertised battery life for one of those 2032's or whatever their
>> putting inside.

> And just for G&G, the first two numbers on those 3volt batteries are
> the width in mm's and the second numbers are the height (mm)

Height is the 2nd two numbers in mm/10.