Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Phone Line Quality ... a few questions. ???

Phone Line Quality ... a few questions. ???

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com

I have had problems on and off with my phone line. They have been out
to the area on more than one occasion recently because of various
issues including no dial-tone to a loud HUMMING noise that defeinitly
interfered with my dial-up connection.

Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for various
reasons. My questions are as follows. Assuming that problems causing
this are not in my apartment com[plex, and I've been told by a few of
the techs that it isn't, does the phone company have an obligation to
give me a CLEAR phone line? What about connection speeds? Normally, I
connect at between 48-53 bps but when the HUM is happening it ranges
anywhere from 12-24 bps, which is slooooower than you can imagine.

Are there any federal "minimum" standards that I am entitled to with my
phone service? I can still talk on the phone, but the hum is present
and it's effecting my PC big time.

Thanks in advance.

D.

Mike Easter

> I have had problems on and off with my phone line. They have been out

Where 'They' would be some phoneco?

> to the area on more than one occasion recently because of various
> issues including no dial-tone to a loud HUMMING noise that defeinitly
> interfered with my dial-up connection.
>
> Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for various
> reasons. My questions are as follows. Assuming that problems causing
> this are not in my apartment com[plex,

Why would you assume /that/?

> and I've been told by a few of
> the techs that it isn't,

Do you mean to say that some tech has told you that there aren't
documented /complaints/ from others in the complex? Which isn't the
same thing as 'problems causing this are not in my apartment complex'.

> does the phone company have an obligation to
> give me a CLEAR phone line?

By what definition of 'clear phone line'? You are 'entitled' to some
attention or troubleshooting to [try to] provide you with 'adequate'
voice service. Unless you are paying for a dataline, you are not
entitled to attention or troubleshooting for your data
transmission/reception problems.

> What about connection speeds?

Connection speeds are attached to data transmission which you definitely
don't want to be complaining about to the phoneco. They won't be paying
any attention to that.

> Normally,
> I connect at between 48-53 bps but when the HUM is happening it ranges
> anywhere from 12-24 bps, which is slooooower than you can imagine.

Of course. That is some serious line noise. The condition of line
noise is an impairment of voice quality as well and needs some decent
troubleshooting. It is tricky to get the phoneco to do that, as it can
be tedious and costly.

> Are there any federal "minimum" standards that I am entitled to with
> my phone service?

The PUC has oversight about the telco's responsibilities for voice. The
telco has no data transmission responsibilities to you or the PUC
oversight process.

> I can still talk on the phone, but the hum is
> present and it's effecting my PC big time.

I don't think you are taking the right tack to getting some help for
your problem by throwing in the face of the telco your computer and data
transmission problems. That is the kind of problem they don't want and
don't have to solve. You are going to have to work on your problem from
another angle.

--
Mike Easter

richard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have had problems on and off with my phone line. They have been out
> to the area on more than one occasion recently because of various
> issues including no dial-tone to a loud HUMMING noise that defeinitly
> interfered with my dial-up connection.
>
> Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for various
> reasons. My questions are as follows. Assuming that problems causing
> this are not in my apartment com[plex, and I've been told by a few of
> the techs that it isn't, does the phone company have an obligation to
> give me a CLEAR phone line? What about connection speeds? Normally, I
> connect at between 48-53 bps but when the HUM is happening it ranges
> anywhere from 12-24 bps, which is slooooower than you can imagine.
>
> Are there any federal "minimum" standards that I am entitled to with my
> phone service? I can still talk on the phone, but the hum is present
> and it's effecting my PC big time.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> D.

Have you tried replacing the lines within your residence?
Ancient phone lines were not intended for computer use.
Go to the point where the phone lines come in off the street. Directly
connect a known good phone at that point.
Hum or no hum? If no hum, ever, then it is your residential lines causing
the problem.
When do the hums occur? Is there a specific pattern? Could be tied to
something from a nearby factory.
As for standards, yes there are. The FCC says that the phone company MUST
guarantee you no less than 19kbs.
If you're getting 48+ consider yourself damn lucky.
Now if you think 12 is sloooooowwwww, dude, you ain't never connected using
a 300 baud accoustical modem.
Does the company offer DSL? You should check into that option.

thanatoid

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I have had problems on and off with my phone line. They
> have been out to the area on more than one occasion
> recently because of various issues including no dial-tone
> to a loud HUMMING noise that defeinitly interfered with my
> dial-up connection.
>
> Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for
> various reasons. My questions are as follows. Assuming
> that problems causing this are not in my apartment
> com[plex, and I've been told by a few of the techs that it
> isn't, does the phone company have an obligation to give me
> a CLEAR phone line? What about connection speeds?
> Normally, I connect at between 48-53 bps but when the HUM
> is happening it ranges anywhere from 12-24 bps, which is
> slooooower than you can imagine.
>
> Are there any federal "minimum" standards that I am
> entitled to with my phone service? I can still talk on the
> phone, but the hum is present and it's effecting my PC big
> time.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> D.

The hum must come from somewhere in your apt. building. Some
detective work and possible rewiring/arguing with other tenants
(SOMEONE may be doing SOMETHING that's causing it) may be in
order.

As a last resort you could break into the telco box in the
basement (or wherever) and connect your line directly. But that
would only last until the next service call from the phone co. I
suppose.

There may be some huge electrical device in the bsmt (boiler
pump?) causing it. Investigate everything, especially when the
HUM happens. I don't know if Mike's totally negative view of NO
chance of help from the telco are correct - I think they might
be willing to help to some extent. They have the equipment to
find the problem, that's for sure.

Also, are there not more than one telcos in your area? If you
get nowhere, maybe you could try to get another contract and a
revision of the wiring installation.

Evan Platt

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 11:21:18 -0600, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does the company offer DSL? You should check into that option.

"Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for various
reasons."

Was there a part of that not clear?

Meat Plow

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 11:26:44 -0700, Evan Platt Has Frothed:

> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 11:21:18 -0600, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Does the company offer DSL? You should check into that option.

> "Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for various
> reasons."
>
> Was there a part of that not clear?

If there is hum on the phone line it will cause problems with DSL so who
knows what St00pid was thinking when he offered up that little tidbit.

COOSN-266-06-25794

The Old Sourdough

Meat Plow grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 11:26:44 -0700, Evan Platt Has Frothed:
>
>> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 11:21:18 -0600, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Does the company offer DSL? You should check into that option.

>> "Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for various
>> reasons."
>>
>> Was there a part of that not clear?

> If there is hum on the phone line it will cause problems with DSL so who
> knows what St00pid was thinking when he offered up that little tidbit.

St00pid's reading comprehension is almost non-existent. I'll bet if you tied
his hands behind his back and gagged him, he couldn't read at all....

--
The Old Sourdough
theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

richard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have had problems on and off with my phone line. They have been out
> to the area on more than one occasion recently because of various
> issues including no dial-tone to a loud HUMMING noise that defeinitly
> interfered with my dial-up connection.
>
> Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for various
> reasons. My questions are as follows. Assuming that problems causing
> this are not in my apartment com[plex, and I've been told by a few of
> the techs that it isn't, does the phone company have an obligation to
> give me a CLEAR phone line? What about connection speeds? Normally, I
> connect at between 48-53 bps but when the HUM is happening it ranges
> anywhere from 12-24 bps, which is slooooower than you can imagine.
>
> Are there any federal "minimum" standards that I am entitled to with my
> phone service? I can still talk on the phone, but the hum is present
> and it's effecting my PC big time.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> D.

http://telephones.att.com/telephones...ct_faqID=21857

richard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 11:21:18 -0600, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Does the company offer DSL? You should check into that option.

> "Yes... I still have dial-up and intend on keeping it for various
> reasons."
>
> Was there a part of that not clear?

And if anyone else had made the suggestion, you'd have kept your frickin
mouth shut.
What part of OPTION do you fail to understand?

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com

Hi... OK. For right now, all is well. I went out this afternoon and
everything is just fine. One of the reasons I suspected the noise was
NOT in the apartment complex is because when I reported this to the
phone company... they CLAIMED they ran some kind of "TEST" from the
office, which indicated the problem wasn't in my apartment or the
complex.

The last couple of times this has happened, they contacted VERIZON,
which supposedly supplies the lines in this area and they sent the
repair crews out.

This problem has occured about 3 times in the past month. This time,
it didn't interrupt my service... meaning, I still had a functional
dial-tone... however my dial-up connection was only about 16bps. Right
now... when I hover the little blinking monitor icons on the taskbar,
it reads 49,333bps... which is what is usually is.

Now... Here is what I hear along with the HUM. Little intermittent
static bursts and the dial-tone is not as loud as usual, and, believe
it or not, sometimes it sounds like it is a different PITCH, or
frequency than it normally does. Almost like it is SLOWED DOWN or
something.... a somewhat lower frequency... IF that makes any sense at
all.

I certainly hope the problem is on THEIR end. I don't have the time or
energy to be investigating through this major complex to find the cause
of this.

One thing I have noticed is that every time it has happened, the
weather has always been RAINY... and inclement.

Thanks.... so far, so good.

D.

PS: Has anyone ever had a dial-tone that sounded "off-frequency" if
you will?