Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Differance between USB and USB2 Cable?

Differance between USB and USB2 Cable?

Rob

I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
(1) and an USB2 cable, if any?

Thank in advance

beenthere

news:rLOVg.4150$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
> I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
> (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?
>
> Thank in advance

None.

pcbutts1

The sucker price.

pjdd@rediffmail.com

Rob wrote:
> I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
> (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?
>
> Thank in advance

Despite what the other two replies said, they *are* different.
I have a batch of several USB extension cables that work
properly with USB1 devices ONLY. My regular suppliers sent
them in error and are sending replacements. I have other
cables that work well with both USB1 and USB2 devices.

They look the same except for the color (black USB1 and gray
USB2) which is probably just a difference in choice by
different manufacturers rather than a code. They cost the
same from my source. They didn't know that they are different
either.

I don't know exactly how they differ in construction as I
have not yet taken each type apart. I suspect that it's the
wires. The USB2 cables may have shielding of the data lines
to prevent EMI. I don't know - just guessing.

richard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Rob wrote:
>> I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
>> (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?
>>
>> Thank in advance

> Despite what the other two replies said, they *are* different.
> I have a batch of several USB extension cables that work
> properly with USB1 devices ONLY. My regular suppliers sent
> them in error and are sending replacements. I have other
> cables that work well with both USB1 and USB2 devices.
>
> They look the same except for the color (black USB1 and gray
> USB2) which is probably just a difference in choice by
> different manufacturers rather than a code. They cost the
> same from my source. They didn't know that they are different
> either.
>
> I don't know exactly how they differ in construction as I
> have not yet taken each type apart. I suspect that it's the
> wires. The USB2 cables may have shielding of the data lines
> to prevent EMI. I don't know - just guessing.

http://www.skysis.com.tw/product-cable-usb20.htm

If your computer is USB2 designed, then it should also be backward
engineered to accept 1.
If not, you got screwed.
Although I did buy a 2port card once and it has never worked on my laptop.
Bad card? maybe. No matter. I just use external plug in ports now.

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 14:23:19 GMT, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
>(1) and an USB2 cable, if any?

None.

>Thank in advance

Who?

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

pjdd@rediffmail.com

richard wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Rob wrote:
> >> I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
> >> (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?
> >>
> >> Thank in advance

> > Despite what the other two replies said, they *are* different.
> > I have a batch of several USB extension cables that work
> > properly with USB1 devices ONLY. My regular suppliers sent
> > them in error and are sending replacements. I have other
> > cables that work well with both USB1 and USB2 devices.
> >
> > They look the same except for the color (black USB1 and gray
> > USB2) which is probably just a difference in choice by
> > different manufacturers rather than a code. They cost the
> > same from my source. They didn't know that they are different
> > either.
> >
> > I don't know exactly how they differ in construction as I
> > have not yet taken each type apart. I suspect that it's the
> > wires. The USB2 cables may have shielding of the data lines
> > to prevent EMI. I don't know - just guessing.
> >

> http://www.skysis.com.tw/product-cable-usb20.htm
>
> If your computer is USB2 designed, then it should also be backward
> engineered to accept 1.
> If not, you got screwed.
> Although I did buy a 2port card once and it has never worked on my laptop.
> Bad card? maybe. No matter. I just use external plug in ports now.

Just to clarify something to avoid confusing some readers :
I'm talking about external USB extension cables. These are
most often used with cabinets (cases) that do not have front
USB ports. They're very useful for avoiding having to go to
the rear of the cabinet everytime one wants to plug or
unplug a USB peripheral.

The USB1-only cables do not even recognise USB2 devices
properly, but function normally with USB1 devices. I've
tested sample cables from different sources. E.g., A friend
had such an extension cable that came bundled with a thumb
drive. The drive works normally when plugged directly into
his rear USB port, but crawls at a snail's pace when
connected via the extension cable.

And yes, I'm talking about computers with USB2 ports, not
compatibility between USB1 and USB2. It's the cables that
caused problems. It's probable that the wires used are
simply not good enough to cope with the much higher data
rates of USB2, rather than being designed specifically for
USB1.

Vanguard

"Rob" wrote in message
news:rLOVg.4150$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
> I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between
> an USB
> (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?

There are different compliance testing required for USB2 cable to
support the high data rate. See
http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance and
http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance/cable/. If you want to use
USB2 devices, make sure you get USB2 cables; otherwise, you may end up
getting old USB1 stock. USB 2.0 is 40 times faster than USB 1.1, and
USB 1.1 is 10 times faster than USB 1.0. Get cables that are designed
for the higher data rate (i.e., USB2). Do you use CAT3 cables if you
want reliable a 100Mbps data rate or do you use CAT5 cable?

There are differences between USB1 and USB2 cables. USB2 has extra
shielding (>= 65% tinned copper braided shield), a drain wire (in USB2
to support USB1 low-speed), and a different rate of twist for
impedance. You can read the USB 2.0 spec
(http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_05122006.zip) which shows
the difference between full/high-speed cables (fig. 6.3) and low-speed
cables (fig. 6.4). USB2 (full-speed) goes to 5 meters, USB1
(low-speed) to 3 meters (see http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5/).