Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slow Hard Drive?

Slow Hard Drive?

Lewis

Hi,
I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought it,
the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging on
to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval machine
even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform these
fairly basic tasks much quicker.

System Specs -
Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU
256MB RAM
Seagate 40GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (ST340015A - Link
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,574,00.html)
Currently using integrated graphics

I've seen much slower computers log on to windows in seconds. Since it has
been like this from the start, the problem can't be full disk, fragmented
disk, spyware, viruses etc. I've tried disabling almost all startup
programs, although it still loads for several minutes after logging on. I
realise it has very little ram but again I've seen better performance from
different systems of the same spec. Could the problem lie in the hard
drive? I'v noticed that when loading, the HDD light stays on permanently,
rather than flickering. I realise that it's only 5400rpm, but so are laptop
hard drives and they are much faster.
Any ideas?
Many thanks,
Lewis

SJP

Add another 512Mb of memory and download crap cleaner to clear out the
harddrive.

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought
> it,
> the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging
> on
> to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
> takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval
> machine
> even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform
> these
> fairly basic tasks much quicker.
>
> System Specs -
> Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU
> 256MB RAM
> Seagate 40GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (ST340015A - Link
> http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,574,00.html)
> Currently using integrated graphics
>
> I've seen much slower computers log on to windows in seconds. Since it
> has
> been like this from the start, the problem can't be full disk, fragmented
> disk, spyware, viruses etc. I've tried disabling almost all startup
> programs, although it still loads for several minutes after logging on. I
> realise it has very little ram but again I've seen better performance from
> different systems of the same spec. Could the problem lie in the hard
> drive? I'v noticed that when loading, the HDD light stays on permanently,
> rather than flickering. I realise that it's only 5400rpm, but so are
> laptop
> hard drives and they are much faster.
> Any ideas?
> Many thanks,
> Lewis

Walter Mautner

Lewis enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

> different systems of the same spec. Could the problem lie in the hard
> drive? I'v noticed that when loading, the HDD light stays on
> permanently,
> rather than flickering. I realise that it's only 5400rpm, but so are
> laptop hard drives and they are much faster.
> Any ideas?

Get the test program from the Seagate website and run it, or use some
livecd (Hirens, Knoppix, other linux) with S.M.A.R.T test and parameter
readout capability and watch for "prefailure" values.
Another considerable thing might be you using the wrong/generic chipset
driver therefore disabled DMA/UDMA features.
Or check the cable, or a bios setting for UDMA/DMA modes.

richard

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought
> it,
> the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging
> on
> to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
> takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval
> machine
> even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform
> these
> fairly basic tasks much quicker.

After that time, you've built up a ton of junk in the registry.
As it boots, it's looking for stuff that no longer exists.
Try "Easy Cleaner" from Toniarts
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Evan Platt

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 18:01:59 +0100, "Lewis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought it,
>the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging on
>to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
>takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval machine
>even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform these
>fairly basic tasks much quicker.
>
>System Specs -
>Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU
>256MB RAM
>Seagate 40GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (ST340015A - Link
>http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,574,00.html)
>Currently using integrated graphics

256 megs, and integrated graphics? Likely the graphics card uses some
of the 256. I'd upgrade to at least 1 GB of memory. Windows is a
memory hog.

PeeCee

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I bought an HP Pavillion a409 (UK) a few years ago. Ever since I bought
> it,
> the computer has been extreemly slow to load almost everything. Logging
> on
> to a user on Windows XP takes several minutes, opening Firefox, Word etc
> takes almost as long. I realise that this system was an entry leval
> machine
> even when I bought it a few years ago, but I'm sure it should perform
> these
> fairly basic tasks much quicker.
>
> System Specs -
> Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU
> 256MB RAM
> Seagate 40GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (ST340015A - Link
> http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,574,00.html)
> Currently using integrated graphics
>
> I've seen much slower computers log on to windows in seconds. Since it
> has
> been like this from the start, the problem can't be full disk, fragmented
> disk, spyware, viruses etc. I've tried disabling almost all startup
> programs, although it still loads for several minutes after logging on. I
> realise it has very little ram but again I've seen better performance from
> different systems of the same spec. Could the problem lie in the hard
> drive? I'v noticed that when loading, the HDD light stays on permanently,
> rather than flickering. I realise that it's only 5400rpm, but so are
> laptop
> hard drives and they are much faster.
> Any ideas?
> Many thanks,
> Lewis

Lewis

Common problem with budget HP's
Two causes:
1 HP load their PC's up with all sorts of software crap at start up.
2 Insuffient RAM. 256MB less the amount used by your integrated Graphics
(could be up to 64MB) means Windows is paging to Hard disk all the time,
hence the HDD light staying on all the time.

Two 'Cures"
1 Refine the software on your PC. Remove all the HP crap, look in Add Remove
Programs for Update managers, Toolbars and other 'Twiddly' bits. If you are
unsure post a list here and others may be able to guide you.
If you are running 'Norton Anti Virus' you should look seriously at
replacing that with another, AVG Free comes to mind.
(all tech's will tell you NAV is an absolute 'HOG' particularly in low RAM
PC's)
2 Add at least 256MB or preferably 512MB of RAM. 1025MB (1GB) of RAM would
be ideal but you will most likely have to discard the present 256 to fit 2 x
512MB sticks. (assumes only two RAM slots on motherboard, which is common in
budget PC's)

Best
Paul.

Lewis

Thanks very much for all the input, I'll consider all of the above. I've
also just put in a faster hard drive, and I've moved some big programs onto
it as well as the paging file to share out the load. I might also stick a
grapgics card I have lying around in to free up a bit of RAM, and possibly
buy some more RAM. In the meantime, does anyone know of any way to move
Internet Explorer and Outlook Express onto a different drive? Windows Live
Messenger also gives no option to be installed on a different drive, is
there any workaround?
Thanks again,
Lewis

news:(E-Mail Removed)...