Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > spanned volumes - is this correct?

spanned volumes - is this correct?

David K

Page 299 of Sybex's 70-215 book, 2nd ed:
"In order to create a spanned volume, you must have at least two
drives installed on your computer and each drive must contain
unallocated space."

I was under the impression that a spanned volume is for enlarging the
capacity of a volume on a dynamic disk, without having to wipe it
clean first. Why should the first drive contain unallocated space?

Dave

Herb Martin

"David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Page 299 of Sybex's 70-215 book, 2nd ed:
> "In order to create a spanned volume, you must have at least two
> drives installed on your computer and each drive must contain
> unallocated space."

Almost (see below) -- but not quite. You might actually be able to
EXTEND a volume (not C from the first drive onto "unallocated space"
on a second drive.

The original above is a (sloppy) description of the NORMAL (but not the
only) case.

Typical Sybex sloppiness. (Actually this is minor, it is usually worse.)
Find
a better book - the built-in Help, Resouce Kit, and MS site are MUCH
better.

> I was under the impression that a spanned volume is for enlarging the
> capacity of a volume on a dynamic disk,

You can enlarge that way (as I clarified above) OR you can make a
spanned volume initially as the book you read was claiming (solely.)
Two Choices.

> without having to wipe it
> clean first. Why should the first drive contain unallocated space?

Nothing about "with unallocated space" implies you must wipe it clean, IF
you have some free space on that drive, e.g., C: might take 5 Gig of a 40
Gig
drive and you could use the other 35 Gig for additional volumes inclucing a
span.

--
Herb Martin

> Dave

Kline Sphere

> You might actually be able to
>EXTEND a volume (not C

Should really say here, a volumn that does not contain either the
system and/or boot volume(s).

Herb Martin

"Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You might actually be able to
> >EXTEND a volume (not C

> Should really say here, a volumn that does not contain either the
> system and/or boot volume(s).

Yes, my "(not C" was already a digression and I didn't want to get into
the full rules -- especially since most people find that C: is both of them.

Some people have the boot volume (SystemRoot) on another volume
letter -- and I have once at least had the System volume on Drive D:
(don't ask <grin>)

I just didn't want to digress further. <big grin>

--
Herb Martin