Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > unable to set up internet printer

unable to set up internet printer

David K

I have a HP Deskjet 920c printer attached to a Windows 2000 Pro system
in a small domain.

I can share the printer in the printer properties and access the share
from other systems via Active Directory. From what I've read, I just
need to have IIS and File and Print Sharing installed, both of which
are installed and are being used. Other than File and Print Sharing, I
have TCP/IP and Client for Microsoft Networks installed, both of which
are being used, and no other protocols or clients installed associated
with the NIC.

The problem is the printer doesn't show up in http requests. I've
tried the URL http://mycomputername/printers from the system the
printer is attached to and another system in the domain, but I get a
404 error. The root directory, http://mycomputername , is accessible.

I'm also unable to add the printer via the Add Printer Wizard and
selecting "Connect to a printer on the internet or on your intranet"
and entering http://mycomputername/printers/hpdj920c/.printer , but it
can't find the printer.

The printer share permissions allow full control for the
Administrators accounts I've attempted to access the printer from.

I was instructed to open Personal Web Manager, click on Advanced, and
examine the Printers folder, but there is no such folder listed.

Everything I've read on Microsoft's site and other sources suggests
that I have everything set up correctly. What could be wrong?

Dave

dirk

Why dont u try posting to the right group ??

David K

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:13:18 -0800, "dirk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why dont u try posting to the right group ??

Using internet printers is an MCSE objective, and topics such as these
are frequently discussed on this group.

Dave

JaR

"David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the printer doesn't show up in http requests. >I've
> tried the URL >http://mycomputername/printers from the

Maybe you just typed this wrong, but this should be
http://computername/printername

JaR

David K

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:20:43 -0800, "JaR" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> the printer doesn't show up in http requests. >I've
>> tried the URL >http://mycomputername/printers from the

>Maybe you just typed this wrong, but this should be
>http://computername/printername

Are you sure? \\computername\printername would be the share name, but
as far as http, the instructions in Sybex's book and on MS's site give
http://computername/printers , which apparently should show some sort
of menu.

In any case, I get a 404 with that too, even on the local system.

Dave

MCSE World

Is IIS installed on the system to which the printer is connected?

Best,
Will
www.mcseworld.com

"David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:20:43 -0800, "JaR" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >"David K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> the printer doesn't show up in http requests. >I've
> >> tried the URL >http://mycomputername/printers from the

> >Maybe you just typed this wrong, but this should be
> >http://computername/printername

> Are you sure? \\computername\printername would be the share name, but
> as far as http, the instructions in Sybex's book and on MS's site give
> http://computername/printers , which apparently should show some sort
> of menu.
>
> In any case, I get a 404 with that too, even on the local system.
>
> Dave

David K

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:22:13 -0500, "MCSE World"
<admin_at_mcseworld.com> wrote:

>Is IIS installed on the system to which the printer is connected?

Yes. I also uninstalled and reinstalled IIS, but no effect.

Dave

David K

I got the internet printer sharing to work on W2k Server. I was trying
to do it on Pro, and I kept an eye out for anything explicitly saying
it could only be done on Server and didn't see anything. But I guess
the version of IIS on W2K Pro doesn't support this.

Dave

MCSE World

Well glad you got it working.

Best,