Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > realplayer update

realplayer update

STEVEjones

Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
report.

Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
first place?

Evan Platt

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:40:41 +0100, "STEVEjones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
>update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
>computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
>is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
>and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
>right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
>saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
>down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
>report.
>
>Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
>first place?

Remove Real Player. It's bloated spyware crap.

Depending on your operating system, there's plenty of alternatives.

John Holmes

STEVEjones "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is
> an update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it
> jams up my computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the
> internet, which is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then
> nothing t all happens and the boc stays in the middle of my screen.
> Finally I click on the top right hand corner and nothing happens. A
> few minutes later I get a message saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE
> encountered a problem and needs to be shut down. This is followed
> with a question asking me if I want to send an error report.
>
> Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in
> the first place?

Uninstall RP.

--
Your mother was a rat-faced dunce who couldn't find her bra on a canal
boat.

STEVEjones

Yes thats ok but it does'nt answer the question. I don't want the hassle to
remove something then download something else thats likely to cause as much
if not more hassle in the future. Do you have any idea how I can stop this
update box popping up?

By the way, I have Windows XP, just what other players are there that I
migth want to have a look at?

"John Holmes" <nospam@****ithard.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> STEVEjones "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is
>> an update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it
>> jams up my computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the
>> internet, which is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then
>> nothing t all happens and the boc stays in the middle of my screen.
>> Finally I click on the top right hand corner and nothing happens. A
>> few minutes later I get a message saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE
>> encountered a problem and needs to be shut down. This is followed
>> with a question asking me if I want to send an error report.
>>
>> Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in
>> the first place?
>>

> Uninstall RP.
>
> --
> Your mother was a rat-faced dunce who couldn't find her bra on a canal
> boat.

GrandpaChuck

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:14:06 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:40:41 +0100, "STEVEjones"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
>>update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
>>computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
>>is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
>>and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
>>right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
>>saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
>>down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
>>report.
>>
>>Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
>>first place?

>Remove Real Player. It's bloated spyware crap.
>
>Depending on your operating system, there's plenty of alternatives.

How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

elaich

GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
> radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
> to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

Uninstall RealPlayer. Install Real Alternative.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

STEVEjones

Have you personally uninstalled Realplayer? Is it as striaght forward as
going to "ADD REMOVE" in CONTROL PANEL? The last time I uninstalled
something horrible was Norton Antivirus, and it simply would not take all
its bits when it left.

On 1 Oct 2006 20:18:47 GMT, elaich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
>> radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
>> to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

>Uninstall RealPlayer. Install Real Alternative.
>
>http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

That does not work. Every time you click on "click here to listen to
WSUI" it reinstalls RealPlayer and refuses to play in anything else.
I have tried to get it to play Mediaplayer.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
Americans killed in Iraq as of September 30, 2006 is 2713. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 117.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.

GrandpaChuck

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 21:26:19 +0100, "STEVEjones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you personally uninstalled Realplayer? Is it as striaght forward as
>going to "ADD REMOVE" in CONTROL PANEL? The last time I uninstalled
>something horrible was Norton Antivirus, and it simply would not take all
>its bits when it left.
>

>"elaich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
>>> radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
>>> to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

>> Uninstall RealPlayer. Install Real Alternative.
>>
>> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Yes, many times when I was fighting with the computer we had in the
bedroom. I figured if I uninstalled it then it might open in another
player or at the very least get a clean new start on RealPlayer

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
Americans killed in Iraq as of September 30, 2006 is 2713. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 117.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.

Suave ShamPoo Poo Platter

GrandpaChuck wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 11:14:06 -0700, Evan Platt
> <evan@*******************************> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:40:41 +0100, "STEVEjones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Realplayer keeps throwing a dialgoue box at me that tells me there is an
>>> update available and do I want to update now. If I click yes it jams up my
>>> computer for 3 mins then tells me I'm not connected to the internet, which
>>> is not true. If I decide I don't want to update then nothing t all happens
>>> and the boc stays in the middle of my screen. Finally I click on the top
>>> right hand corner and nothing happens. A few minutes later I get a message
>>> saying that REALPLAYER UPDATE encountered a problem and needs to be shut
>>> down. This is followed with a question asking me if I want to send an error
>>> report.
>>>
>>> Its driving me nuts!!!! How do I stop this update box coming up in the
>>> first place?

>> Remove Real Player. It's bloated spyware crap.
>>
>> Depending on your operating system, there's plenty of alternatives.

> How do you get some other media program to open streaming audio for a
> radio station when RealPlayer is the default? If you click on "Listen
> to that station" RealPlayer automatically opens.

Are you sure it was a 'real' streaming protocol? or just a streaming
music file that was being opened by realplayer by default.

Personally, like another of the respondants, I use Mediaplayer Classic
with 'Real Alternative' in fact , if you get the K-Lite Mega Codec, you
can play just about ANYthing, including the codecs for Quicktime Pro
(save your $30!)

I also recommend foobar2000 (foobar2000.org) it's light on resources,
fast as lightening, plays a zillion different audio types, and is free.

I love it for m3u streaming.

RealPlayer update Graham Windows 64bit 2 03-29-2006 05:46 AM
Firefox/RealPlayer/Linux/64-bits Marek Williams Firefox 10 01-11-2006 03:44 AM
64-bit Ubuntu, Firefox 1.07, and RealPlayer Marek Williams Firefox 1 01-08-2006 09:39 AM
RealPlayer Contenttype in asp.net not working? Lone ASP .Net 0 02-15-2005 02:05 PM
realplayer 10 Rob Firefox 2 07-12-2004 11:56 PM

Advertisments