Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WIRELESS NETWORK, CAN'T SEE OTHER COMPUTER

WIRELESS NETWORK, CAN'T SEE OTHER COMPUTER

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?=

I have a wireless network. From my laptop I can access the internet, but I
can't see the desktop, nor can my desktop see my laptop. I've run the wizard
on both machines. Still nothing.

Need help.

--
Steph

Brian Wehrle [MSFT]

Stephanie,

Please allow me to ask you how each machine is connected to the network.
The laptop sounds
like it is wireless. Is the desktop using a wireless NIC as well? If so,
how is each configured?

Your problem could be related to having the firewall for these adapters
enabled. Doing so would prevent them from seeing each other. One simple
test for visibility is doing a ping.

By using the Support tab of the Network Connection Status window (reachable
through the Network Connections window) you can see the IP address the
machine. From the laptop, "ping" the other machine:
1. Click the Start button
2. Go to "Run"
3. Type: cmd.exe
4. At the prompt, type: ping <ip address>, where ip address is the address
of the other machine.

If you can ping. Try doing a net view
5. Type: net view \\<ip address>

Depending on how these machines are configured (as a workgroup), you will be
able to "see" the resources hosted by each machine. Please let me know how
these tests works and more details on your wireless network (authentication
and encryption settings you are using).

--
Brian Wehrle
Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking

"Stephanie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a wireless network. From my laptop I can access the internet, but I
> can't see the desktop, nor can my desktop see my laptop. I've run the
> wizard
> on both machines. Still nothing.
>
> Need help.
>
> --
> Steph

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

I have the same problem. I have internet access on my wireless laptop, but
cant access the files on the desktop, nor can i access the laptop files from
the desktop. I tried to ping it....and it timed out. Pinged 4 times and it
said 4 pings lost....100% lost. Does it have to do with the firewall? I have
file and print sharing turned on. Also, I can see the laptop from the
desktop, but when i click on the laptop icon, it says MSHOME workgroup is not
accessible and to verify I have access. Please help! Thanks.

-Jeff

"Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:

> Stephanie,
>
> Please allow me to ask you how each machine is connected to the network.
> The laptop sounds
> like it is wireless. Is the desktop using a wireless NIC as well? If so,
> how is each configured?
>
> Your problem could be related to having the firewall for these adapters
> enabled. Doing so would prevent them from seeing each other. One simple
> test for visibility is doing a ping.
>
> By using the Support tab of the Network Connection Status window (reachable
> through the Network Connections window) you can see the IP address the
> machine. From the laptop, "ping" the other machine:
> 1. Click the Start button
> 2. Go to "Run"
> 3. Type: cmd.exe
> 4. At the prompt, type: ping <ip address>, where ip address is the address
> of the other machine.
>
> If you can ping. Try doing a net view
> 5. Type: net view \\<ip address>
>
> Depending on how these machines are configured (as a workgroup), you will be
> able to "see" the resources hosted by each machine. Please let me know how
> these tests works and more details on your wireless network (authentication
> and encryption settings you are using).
>

> --
> Brian Wehrle
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
> Microsoft Corp.
>

> "Stephanie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a wireless network. From my laptop I can access the internet, but I
> > can't see the desktop, nor can my desktop see my laptop. I've run the
> > wizard
> > on both machines. Still nothing.
> >
> > Need help.
> >
> > --
> > Steph

Jim Seifert [MSFT]

In general firewall defaults will prevent sharing files and ping replies.
The builtin firewall in XPSP2 can be configured in the security center to
allow filesharing, this is required in addition to enabling filesharing.

newsgroup purposes only.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have the same problem. I have internet access on my wireless laptop, but
> cant access the files on the desktop, nor can i access the laptop files
> from
> the desktop. I tried to ping it....and it timed out. Pinged 4 times and it
> said 4 pings lost....100% lost. Does it have to do with the firewall? I
> have
> file and print sharing turned on. Also, I can see the laptop from the
> desktop, but when i click on the laptop icon, it says MSHOME workgroup is
> not
> accessible and to verify I have access. Please help! Thanks.
>

> -Jeff
>

> "Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Stephanie,
>>
>> Please allow me to ask you how each machine is connected to the network.
>> The laptop sounds
>> like it is wireless. Is the desktop using a wireless NIC as well? If
>> so,
>> how is each configured?
>>
>> Your problem could be related to having the firewall for these adapters
>> enabled. Doing so would prevent them from seeing each other. One simple
>> test for visibility is doing a ping.
>>
>> By using the Support tab of the Network Connection Status window
>> (reachable
>> through the Network Connections window) you can see the IP address the
>> machine. From the laptop, "ping" the other machine:
>> 1. Click the Start button
>> 2. Go to "Run"
>> 3. Type: cmd.exe
>> 4. At the prompt, type: ping <ip address>, where ip address is the
>> address
>> of the other machine.
>>
>> If you can ping. Try doing a net view
>> 5. Type: net view \\<ip address>
>>
>> Depending on how these machines are configured (as a workgroup), you will
>> be
>> able to "see" the resources hosted by each machine. Please let me know
>> how
>> these tests works and more details on your wireless network
>> (authentication
>> and encryption settings you are using).
>>

>> --
>> Brian Wehrle
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
>> Microsoft Corp.
>>

>> "Stephanie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have a wireless network. From my laptop I can access the internet,
>> >but I
>> > can't see the desktop, nor can my desktop see my laptop. I've run the
>> > wizard
>> > on both machines. Still nothing.
>> >
>> > Need help.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Steph

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

"Jim Seifert [MSFT]" wrote:

> In general firewall defaults will prevent sharing files and ping replies.
> The builtin firewall in XPSP2 can be configured in the security center to
> allow filesharing, this is required in addition to enabling filesharing.
>
> --
> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have the same problem. I have internet access on my wireless laptop, but
> > cant access the files on the desktop, nor can i access the laptop files
> > from
> > the desktop. I tried to ping it....and it timed out. Pinged 4 times and it
> > said 4 pings lost....100% lost. Does it have to do with the firewall? I
> > have
> > file and print sharing turned on. Also, I can see the laptop from the
> > desktop, but when i click on the laptop icon, it says MSHOME workgroup is
> > not
> > accessible and to verify I have access. Please help! Thanks.
> >

> > -Jeff
> >

> > "Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Stephanie,
> >>
> >> Please allow me to ask you how each machine is connected to the network.
> >> The laptop sounds
> >> like it is wireless. Is the desktop using a wireless NIC as well? If
> >> so,
> >> how is each configured?
> >>
> >> Your problem could be related to having the firewall for these adapters
> >> enabled. Doing so would prevent them from seeing each other. One simple
> >> test for visibility is doing a ping.
> >>
> >> By using the Support tab of the Network Connection Status window
> >> (reachable
> >> through the Network Connections window) you can see the IP address the
> >> machine. From the laptop, "ping" the other machine:
> >> 1. Click the Start button
> >> 2. Go to "Run"
> >> 3. Type: cmd.exe
> >> 4. At the prompt, type: ping <ip address>, where ip address is the
> >> address
> >> of the other machine.
> >>
> >> If you can ping. Try doing a net view
> >> 5. Type: net view \\<ip address>
> >>
> >> Depending on how these machines are configured (as a workgroup), you will
> >> be
> >> able to "see" the resources hosted by each machine. Please let me know
> >> how
> >> these tests works and more details on your wireless network
> >> (authentication
> >> and encryption settings you are using).
> >>

> >> --
> >> Brian Wehrle
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >> Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
> >> Microsoft Corp.
> >>

> >> "Stephanie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

"Jim Seifert [MSFT]" wrote:

> In general firewall defaults will prevent sharing files and ping replies.
> The builtin firewall in XPSP2 can be configured in the security center to
> allow filesharing, this is required in addition to enabling filesharing.
>
> --
> Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have the same problem. I have internet access on my wireless laptop, but
> > cant access the files on the desktop, nor can i access the laptop files
> > from
> > the desktop. I tried to ping it....and it timed out. Pinged 4 times and it
> > said 4 pings lost....100% lost. Does it have to do with the firewall? I
> > have
> > file and print sharing turned on. Also, I can see the laptop from the
> > desktop, but when i click on the laptop icon, it says MSHOME workgroup is
> > not
> > accessible and to verify I have access. Please help! Thanks.
> >

> > -Jeff
> >

> > "Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Stephanie,
> >>
> >> Please allow me to ask you how each machine is connected to the network.
> >> The laptop sounds
> >> like it is wireless. Is the desktop using a wireless NIC as well? If
> >> so,
> >> how is each configured?
> >>
> >> Your problem could be related to having the firewall for these adapters
> >> enabled. Doing so would prevent them from seeing each other. One simple
> >> test for visibility is doing a ping.
> >>
> >> By using the Support tab of the Network Connection Status window
> >> (reachable
> >> through the Network Connections window) you can see the IP address the
> >> machine. From the laptop, "ping" the other machine:
> >> 1. Click the Start button
> >> 2. Go to "Run"
> >> 3. Type: cmd.exe
> >> 4. At the prompt, type: ping <ip address>, where ip address is the
> >> address
> >> of the other machine.
> >>
> >> If you can ping. Try doing a net view
> >> 5. Type: net view \\<ip address>
> >>
> >> Depending on how these machines are configured (as a workgroup), you will
> >> be
> >> able to "see" the resources hosted by each machine. Please let me know
> >> how
> >> these tests works and more details on your wireless network
> >> (authentication
> >> and encryption settings you are using).
> >>

> >> --
> >> Brian Wehrle
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >> Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
> >> Microsoft Corp.
> >>

> >> "Stephanie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

Same issue - Belkin wireless home network, Dell host pc running XP Home, Dell
M60 laptop running XP Pro. No problem connecting wirelessly from home to
Internet, or creating a VPN connection to office network.

File sharing is enabled on both pc,s & firewall is enabled on wireless
connection. Firewall was disabled on wireless connection & tyhere is still
the issue of the 2 pc's not "seeing" each other.

The laptop does see the office network under the folder Microsoft Windows
Network, not the MSHome network. The MSHome network group on the dsktop sees
the other pc on it's own network, can not see the laptop.

Thanks in adavnce for the assistance!

John Butler

Steve,

Coming late to this thread I may be stating the obvious but in my own
experience for the PC and the laptop to share, all the following conditions
must to be in place AFTER simple file sharing has been enabled in Folder
Option of Windows XP Pro:

1 They are on the SAME network
2 The MAC addresses for both are enabled for the devicces on that network
3 They must be members of the SAME WORKGROUP
4 File sharing for networks must be enabled in Windows XP
5 The wireless network range must be set as TRUSTED in the firewall
6 The security settings in Internet Options must be set tothe default for
Trusted.

You may be able to ping one from the other if they are on the same network
but unless all the conditions are satisfied you will not be able to share
files.

John

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Same issue - Belkin wireless home network, Dell host pc running XP Home,
> Dell
> M60 laptop running XP Pro. No problem connecting wirelessly from home to
> Internet, or creating a VPN connection to office network.
>
> File sharing is enabled on both pc,s & firewall is enabled on wireless
> connection. Firewall was disabled on wireless connection & tyhere is still
> the issue of the 2 pc's not "seeing" each other.
>
> The laptop does see the office network under the folder Microsoft Windows
> Network, not the MSHome network. The MSHome network group on the dsktop
> sees
> the other pc on it's own network, can not see the laptop.
>
> Thanks in adavnce for the assistance!

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

Thanks, I'll check all that 2nite. I am also going to do this:
Hi Ron,
This is definitely a protocol issue. You need to install NETBIOS
protocol. DOing this will resolve the issue. TO do the same, please folow
these steps:
1) Go to n/w connections in Control panel
2) Right click your wireless or wired connection icon and click on properties.
3) Under the general tab, please click on INSTALL button.
4) Select Protocol and click ADD
5) The select "HAVE DISK"
6) THen put in the path c:\windows\inf and click OK
7) THen, please select the NETBIOS compactible transport protocol
Click OK and OK.
9) Restart the computer and check.
Regs,
Vinay.S