Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Keyboard question

Keyboard question

Edd Rogers

An old acquaintance of mine came up to me today and told me every time he
hit the shift key the number 1 was displayed on his screen, when he hit the
control key the number 2 was displayed. He has not changed anything or added
any programs to the computer. It just started doing this out of the clear
blue.

I have never run into this oddity before, and I am not the brightest
computer guy in the world, so I thought I would put it to you knowledgeable
fellows who do know computers quite well. He is running a two year old
computer, I believe it is a HP, with XP home and does little more than surf
the web and do quicken with it. His wife does play internet games like
spades and such on it from the zone and yahoo and places like this.

Has anyone ran into this before?

chuckieŽ

Firstly, he should try another known good keyboard. This would determine
that either the keyboard is at fault or that the driver is corrupt. That
should be the first step as I see it...luck...

"Edd Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:efm3h2$9p6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> An old acquaintance of mine came up to me today and told me every time he
> hit the shift key the number 1 was displayed on his screen, when he hit

the
> control key the number 2 was displayed. He has not changed anything or

added
> any programs to the computer. It just started doing this out of the clear
> blue.
>
> I have never run into this oddity before, and I am not the brightest
> computer guy in the world, so I thought I would put it to you

knowledgeable
> fellows who do know computers quite well. He is running a two year old
> computer, I believe it is a HP, with XP home and does little more than

surf
> the web and do quicken with it. His wife does play internet games like
> spades and such on it from the zone and yahoo and places like this.
>
> Has anyone ran into this before?

richard

"Edd Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:efm3h2$9p6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> An old acquaintance of mine came up to me today and told me every time he
> hit the shift key the number 1 was displayed on his screen, when he hit
> the control key the number 2 was displayed. He has not changed anything or
> added any programs to the computer. It just started doing this out of the
> clear blue.
>
> I have never run into this oddity before, and I am not the brightest
> computer guy in the world, so I thought I would put it to you
> knowledgeable fellows who do know computers quite well. He is running a
> two year old computer, I believe it is a HP, with XP home and does little
> more than surf the web and do quicken with it. His wife does play internet
> games like spades and such on it from the zone and yahoo and places like
> this.
>
> Has anyone ran into this before?

Most likely a fried keyboard. Sometimes the circuit board develops a crack
or even the wires come loose.
If he uses another keyboard and it happens still, then their is a serious
problem in the machine.

Walter Mautner

Edd Rogers enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

> An old acquaintance of mine came up to me today and told me every time
> he hit the shift key the number 1 was displayed on his screen, when he
> hit the control key the number 2 was displayed. He has not changed
> anything or added any programs to the computer. It just started doing
> this out of the clear blue.
>
> I have never run into this oddity before, and I am not the brightest
> computer guy in the world, so I thought I would put it to you
> knowledgeable fellows who do know computers quite well. He is running
> a two year old computer, I believe it is a HP, with XP home and does
> little more than surf the web and do quicken with it. His wife does
> play internet games like spades and such on it from the zone and yahoo
> and places like this.

A keylogger programmed with the hot needle?
*I* would not do online banking or store bank details on that box, after
surfing games (maybe one got "redirected") with all fences (java,
javascirpt, acitvex) down and probably no other protection but a
already expired norton ...