Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > old repository for old C++ source code

old repository for old C++ source code

*Prot3anThr3ad*

that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)

working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
its inception up until now.

-Woodzy
http://www.rtdos.com

why?

x-post cut to 24hshd from
Newsgroups:
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++,comp.lang.c++,alt.comp.freeware,24hoursupport. helpdesk

On 29 Sep 2006 08:14:49 -0700, *Prot3anThr3ad* wrote:

>that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
>with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)

Such as the manuals and examples in the boxes of Turbo C++ DOS Ver 3.0
and Turbo C++ Windows V4.5 sitting here Got rid of BC++4.5 years
ago.

You may like to try djgpp http://www.delorie.com/ and download the
example code.

Searching past posts in 24hshd,

The usual 0.12 seconds from www.google.com

Spaceblue | Code Repository
C++ code written for both Windows and Linux platforms. C++ Windows Only
C++ code written for Windows platforms. wxWidgets wxWidgets (previously
known as ...
www.spaceblue.com/code.php?TypeID=2 - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

Open Directory - Computers: Programming: Resources
Code-Source - Source code repository. Algorithms with various language
versions ... of helping others learn to program. C, C++, Perl, Python,
HTML sources. ...
dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Resources/ - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

Online Code Repository
There is also some old code in C++ and Prolog, but these are not being
maintained. ... 23.7, 862, Regular expression or program to extract
company names ...
aima.cs.berkeley.edu/code.html - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

>working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
>its inception up until now.
>
>-Woodzy
>http://www.rtdos.com

Gianni Mariani

*Prot3anThr3ad* wrote:
> that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
> with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)
>
> working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
> its inception up until now.

I think you can get an old version of the Inventor (SGI) source code. I
remember when I looked at it that it was doing many things to work
around compiler issues that you wouldn't even dream of doing today. It
probably won't run on borland tho.

Greg Comeau

In article <451e517b$0$15637$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gianni Mariani <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>*Prot3anThr3ad* wrote:
>> that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
>> with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)
>>
>> working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
>> its inception up until now.

>I think you can get an old version of the Inventor (SGI) source code. I
>remember when I looked at it that it was doing many things to work
>around compiler issues that you wouldn't even dream of doing today. It
>probably won't run on borland tho.

He could also look at some of Stroustrup's books (D&E, ARM) which
contains many of the technicalities many in painful detail,
as well as Stroustrup's various books (same ones) and papers
(many available on his website http://www.research.att.com/~bs )
listing many aspects of the history, again main in painful details.
Actually, unless the narrative is for school, I would say most
of the job is already done and no need to duplicate it.
--
Greg Comeau / 20 years of Comeauity! Intel Mac Port now in alpha!

*Prot3anThr3ad*

yea its for school.

-Woodzy

Greg Comeau wrote:
> In article <451e517b$0$15637$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gianni Mariani <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >*Prot3anThr3ad* wrote:
> >> that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
> >> with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)
> >>
> >> working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
> >> its inception up until now.

> >I think you can get an old version of the Inventor (SGI) source code. I
> >remember when I looked at it that it was doing many things to work
> >around compiler issues that you wouldn't even dream of doing today. It
> >probably won't run on borland tho.

> He could also look at some of Stroustrup's books (D&E, ARM) which
> contains many of the technicalities many in painful detail,
> as well as Stroustrup's various books (same ones) and papers
> (many available on his website http://www.research.att.com/~bs )
> listing many aspects of the history, again main in painful details.
> Actually, unless the narrative is for school, I would say most
> of the job is already done and no need to duplicate it.
> --
> Greg Comeau / 20 years of Comeauity! Intel Mac Port now in alpha!
> Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==> http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout
> World Class Compilers: Breathtaking C++, Amazing C99, Fabulous C90.
> Comeau C/C++ with Dinkumware's Libraries... Have you tried it?

*Prot3anThr3ad*

Greg Comeau wrote:

> He could also look at some of Stroustrup's books (D&E, ARM) which
> contains many of the technicalities many in painful detail,
> as well as Stroustrup's various books (same ones) and papers
> (many available on his website http://www.research.att.com/~bs )
> listing many aspects of the history, again main in painful details.
> Actually, unless the narrative is for school, I would say most
> of the job is already done and no need to duplicate it.
> --

Thanks, Greg. I never realized that Stroustrup also worked at bell
labs.

Peter Gordon

"*Prot3anThr3ad*" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1159636979.584471.168240
@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks, Greg. I never realized that Stroustrup also worked at bell
> labs.

If you are trying to document the history of C++, you have a long
way to go. It was developed to write the software for Bell's
telephone exchanges.

--
Peter Gordon

*Prot3anThr3ad*

Peter Gordon wrote:

> If you are trying to document the history of C++, you have a long
> way to go. It was developed to write the software for Bell's
> telephone exchanges.

What I would like to do is document the changes in C++ from the early
days until the current standard (for example, how many different ways
can you write the plain hello.cpp program using the different
standards) which is why i want to look at older source code.